• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Atheism Ever Be The Dominant Religion?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Probably not as a religion per say, but atheism/agnosticism will be a more common religious belief. In recent history it has become more organized as with Unitarian Universlists.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Will Atheism ever be the dominant religion?

No because Religion is really for our emotional side. Atheism is really about valuing logic over emotion. Love, Hate, Sadness, happiness are strong feelings that will always overcome logic.

At best people will realize the need for both and not try and Back up beliefs with logic or ignore emotions because they aren't logical.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
No because Religion is really for our emotional side. Atheism is really about valuing logic over emotion. Love, Hate, Sadness, happiness are strong feelings that will always overcome logic.

At best people will realize the need for both and not try and Back up beliefs with logic or ignore emotions because they aren't logical.
I didn't realize atheists had no emotions. I just assumed they were humans.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Atheists certainly have emotions and value them. But they don't use emotions to determine the *truth* of something. They may use emotions to determine what course of action to take, or what art to create, or what music to listen to. But truth is a different type of thing and is not determined by emotions.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I didn't realize atheists had no emotions. I just assumed they were humans.

Everyone has emotions but some of people favor emotions for decisions and some favor logic for decisions. I just knew on my second date that she would be my wife and married her in 3 months. My brother in-law dated my sister for 5 years before he decided marriage was right. We have both been married for over 20 years both decisions where valid but we didn't approach them the same way.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Atheists certainly have emotions and value them. But they don't use emotions to determine the *truth* of something. They may use emotions to determine what course of action to take, or what art to create, or what music to listen to. But truth is a different type of thing and is not determined by emotions.

I agree, and my statement is still valid.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Everyone has emotions but some of people favor emotions for decisions and some favor logic for decisions. I just knew on my second date that she would be my wife and married her in 3 months. My brother in-law dated my sister for 5 years before he decided marriage was right. We have both been married for over 20 years both decisions where valid but we didn't approach them the same way.

I am not sure why you are giving me a family history, or what you think it proves.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I have definitely seen you try to prove things.

That is true but in here it is opinion. I have no facts to back up my statement just observational experience. I doubt seriously you could get any scientific facts for what you ask.

suncowiam

I don't know about you but I am transforming into a Vulcan as we speak.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Here's a great website with transcripts of radio programs leading up to the Rwandan genoxide in 1994.

Rwanda radio transcripts

You should learn all you can about what emotionally driven arguments can do before you claim it as a path to truth or understanding.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Here's a great website with transcripts of radio programs leading up to the Rwandan genoxide in 1994.

Rwanda radio transcripts

You should learn all you can about what emotionally driven arguments can do before you claim it as a path to truth or understanding.

I never said emotionally driven arguments were a path to truth or understanding I actually said beliefs should support emotions and logic should support fact and I implied that humans should balance them.