• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wildlife where you live?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Thought this might make an interesting thread! What kinds of wild animals live in or around your hometown? Which one is your favorite? I wanna see pictures of the cute, furry animals please! I'll post mine in a few minutes when I find them!

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Around Franklin, TN:
coyote.jpg
Coyotes

eastern.jpg
Wild Turkies

possumnose.jpg
Opossums

200px-Skunk.jpg
Skunks

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
whitetailed-deer-3.JPG
Deer

easrat2s.jpg
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes

There are countless squirrels, birds, and bunny rabbits, too, these are just the most notable animals.

I love all of them, but I really like the coyote. They are becoming quite rare around the county now because of all the building, sadly.

Needless to say, my least favorite is the icky snake. I'm not afraid of them, but the rattler is definantly not something I want to meet everyday unless my daddy's there to protect me. :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I have a babbling creek behind my house... SO, in the past few years we have seen:

Bear
Raccoons
O'Possums
Grey Squirrels
Flying Squirrels
Star-nosed mole (my cat caught one)
Rabbits
Bats
Alligators
9 Line Skinks
Geckos
Lizzards
Black snakes
Banded Water Snakes (bit son)
Corn Snake (also bit son)
Coral Snakes (a ton of them recently)
Ring Neck Snakes
Glass Snake
Ospreys
Coots
Anhinga (Water Turkey)
Great Horned Owls
Screach Owls
Barn Owls
White Ibis
Mockingbirds
Blue Jays
Cardinals
Wood thrushes
Common Finches
Humming Birds
Peacocks
Red Wing Hawk
Great Blue Heron
Common Green parrot

I might have forgotten something. :D

(Should I start on our spider list???)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Oh, please don't, I'm arachnophobic!Which animal is your favorite out of all those?

And what in the world is a 9 Line Skink?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I forgot the fishes!

catfish.jpg

Catfish. This one is larger than most of course. The one pictured is so large, I doubt it would still be good to eat. That's the most common fish up in these parts, though. :eek: I mean in this area of the state...!

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
It would be a long list, but I'll give you the short version of the best ones.

Deer, elk, cougars, bald eagles, bears, cranes, albatross, egrets, many kinds of migratory birds, red tail hawks, sea gulls, whales, seals, sea lions, sharks, salmon, crabs, mussels, oysters, rock fish, orcas, bigfoot, and a few tourists too. :)

Favorite? The egret. Very graceful, like a swan.

x

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
sounds nice. Oh, I wish we still had eagles!!! Right now, hawks
red-tailed%20hawk%20hovering.jpg

are the closest things we have to eagles, although two or three have been sighted recently just northeast of my county. I hope they come back soon, but with all the new building going on, I don't see it happening.

Scuba Pete

HOMETOWN... Here I thought it was just around our house!

For the area, let me add (also what I have seen)

Bobcat
Cougar
Red Fox Squirrel
Dear
Foxes
River Otters
Manatee
Armadillo
7 Line Skink
Diamond Back Rattle Snake
Pygmy Rattle Snake
Indigo Snake
Hog Nose Snake
Rat Snake
Cotton Mouth Moccasin
Copperhead
King Snake
(I have to go, but I will list birds and fishes next).

RevOxley_501

deer

white tail

deer

mainly running across the highway at night just in time for you to smack into them at 50MPH causing 3 grande worth of damage

DEEEEEER@!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacquie4000

We have Fox, Deer, Chipmonks, Eagles, Hawks, Fish, Skunks, Racoons, Squirrels, Rabbits...way to many Rabbits. Gosh there are alot here in Pa.

That is the biggest Catfish I ever saw by the way........lol

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia

Wow, that is amazing...a mystery beast, huh? Well, whatever it is, I guess they killed it. :( Poor mystery-beast-thing.

I forgot bobcats, too. Those are the most dangerous things here, followed by the snake, followed by the coyote. Followed by the skunk, probably. But a opossum with rabies is more dangrous than all of them. :D

bobcat2.jpg

Bobcat! Isn't it cute?!?!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A brief list that I can think of;

Deer

Possums

Raccoons

Coyote

Wolves (Not a very large number. Last I heard, thier is only one pack that has claims on Indiana. I myself got to see one of the first wild wolves back in Indiana.)

Bald Eagles (Again, a very small number. No one believed me when I saw one, and
then the newspaper reported a nest of them in a city.)

Water Moccasins

Diamondbacks (Only in Southern Indiana)

Various squirells

A few different foxes

Groundhogs

Moles

Garter Snakes

Black Widow Spiders (They are extremely rare though. I have seen one though.)
Grand Daddy Long Legs are very common

Wolf Spiders. I absolutly hate them though, and they are unworthy of being called "Wolf." I was also unfortunate enough to see on that was about the same diameter of a basketball. They get absolutly enormous here. Its becoming more and more common to see them the size of a CD, or close to it. They are almost always bigger than a 50 cent piece. The smallest I've seen was bigger than a quarter. And they're everywhere. And they are not afraid to crawl on you. I think the fear I used to have of them has been replaced by the unmost hatred for them

Corn spiders use to be common, but I haven't seen any in awhile.

There is also many, many different species of birds, including Blue Jays, cranes, Blue herrons, Cardinals, Sparrows, Bluebirds, some black bird with a small patch of red feathers on thier wings, robins, vultures, crows, and hummingbirds.

The fish include catfish, carp, large/small mouth bass, rainbow trout, garr, blue gills, crappie, sunfish, drum, and spoonbill.

Thier are also Praying Mantises (which I love to watch, especially when they hunt), dragonflies, and walking sticks.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Here in Spokane we have: prostitutes, bums, junkies.... oh, you meant non-human.

Where I live, I see just outside my door:

Deer
Skunk
Raccoon
Quail
Hawks
Eagles
Owls
Squirrel
Coyote

There are numerous things here.... and in town. I've seen turkey, moose, elk, fox, coyote, bald eagle, etc..... lots up here.

My favorite in town are the raccoons, we've named our daily(nightly) visitors at work; at home I love the skunks!! My cats vote for the squirrels as the favorite. We have some perigen falcons just down the street that had some young this year as well... they are protected by some organization here. I love the owls too.... so much to choose from.

Okay, I pick BIG FOOT!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I miss Raccoon . :( They don't come up here . Not sure why ? Too high or too far north ?

Anyway , I have posted pictures a few of the animals found around here . I don't have a good pic of a White Tail , but we have both White and Black tailed Deer { Mule Deer }. The mules are much more common though .

We don't have many snakes neither . Just the garter , although there are rattle snakes in the warner areas of B.C. . { Raccoons along the coast too ... :( }

The list of animals would be much too long . :) And I could never pick any one favorite ....

BTW Starlight , why do you consider the Bobcat to be dangerous ? Humans are pretty large game for a Bobcat or Lynx . { ok , they will take deer at times , but usually only in deep snow } . Most Bobcat attacks { and they have been few } have been found to be cougars , or rabied cats . Bobcats are usually very sly around humans . Trust me , if you have moose in your area , they are likely much more dangerous . :) And I'm sure that your rattle snakes are too .

Scuba Pete

Freshwater Fish:
Black Bass (Largemouth)
Striper Bass
Sunshine Bass
Sun Fish (including Perch, Blue Gill, Red Ear, Warmouth, Red Breast... etc)
Crappie
Sturgeon
Bowfin (Mudfish)
Gar (Common & Alligator)
Threadfin Shad
Mosquito Minnows
Mollys
Channel Catfish

Exotics:
Peacock Bass
Tilapia (Nile Perch)
Plecostomus (Pleco or armoured Catfish)
Walking Catfish
Oscars
Faincy Tail Guppies
Carp

Scuba Pete

You know, in making lists like these, it brings to mind just how much I LOVE the wild. Whether I am cruising a reef, a Pine Hammock, a swamp or a pristene spring/run I just love being out in the wild. Seldom have I feared for my life, but I have to admit to having that primordial fear run up and down my spine from time to time. You really feel alive when you come face to face with a coiled moccasin, or a coral snake is sunning itself on your porch. The same goes for Gators, my Bobcat encounter as well as with the larger sharks. I think it's time to head out into this frigid weather (It's 37 right now) and ride my new bike. :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
We live within a short drive of the "New Forest" which boasts
Here you will find part of Europe's largest gathering of otters, owls and other indigenous wildlife all in their natural surroundings including, pine martens, badgers, pole cats, mink, foxes, Scottish wild cats, deer, lynx, wallabies and wild boar.
(http://www.ottersandowls.co.uk/newforest.htm) - and that includes squirrels (both grey and red), wild ponies; there is also a sanctuary for rescued Moneys called "Monkey world", and so much more.

We also have the great pleasure of the Marquis Of Bath's Longleat