• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild foods and medicines

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Then I get to thinking about some wild quail basted and roasted over the coals. Use to be a lot of quail, but I have not heard a 'Bob White' for years.

The closest place where you can still hear the Bobwhite call is on the Eastern Shore in the bird sanctuary. No hunting of course. I would rather hear them than eat them. But...if someone offered me a brace of mourning dove this November I would bake the breasts in chicken broth the way my mom did. (not so subtle hint there:drool:)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
It sounds like it has the same uses as tea tree. I shall google it and see if they are of the same family.

Nope.

Horopito: Pseudowintera colorata
Tea Tree:
TheMightyWikipedia said:
Camellia sinensis (aka Thea sinensis), from which black, green, oolong and white tea are all obtained.
Melaleuca alternifolia from which tea tree oil is obtained, in the family Myrtaceae.
Leptospermum, also in the family Myrtaceae; notably
Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka) in New Zealand and southeast Australia.
Leptospermum laevigatum, known as the Coastal Tea Tree and the Australian Tea Tree
Kanuka (Kunzea ericoides) also in New Zealand.
Boxthorn or Lycium in the family Solanaceae, notably
Duke of Argyll's Tea Tree (Lycium barbarum), also known as Wolfberry or Matrimony Vine.
Ti (plant), Cordyline fruticosa, in the family Laxmanniaceae, formerly treated in the family Agavaceae.

The New Zealand tea trees (Manuka, Kanuka, and Mingimingi) have a very high Vitamin C content, and was used by early settlers to combat scurvy in place of citrus fruits by brewing into a tea. Hence, tea tree.
The three plants look very similar. This one's the manuka:
manuka.jpg