• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wiccans using hindu gods

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I always saw hindus as very open about their gods. No problem worshippin your gods and no problem with you worshipping them.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
It's okay, I guess, so long as they understand who they are worshiping. I guess the better question would be to ask the Gods how they feel about it, haha.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's okay, I guess, so long as they understand who they are worshiping. I guess the better question would be to ask the Gods how they feel about it, haha.

I agree. It may very well be that mystically, some other deva gets attracted. So there should be a mental understanding. I don't even know if this ever happens, or if th eOP is just a hypothetical.
As a Hindu, I wouldn't turn it around, but not because there is inherently something wrong with it, but I don't need any more Gods, as the ones I worship already are completely satisfactory. The whole idea begs the question: Aren't your own Gods good enough for you?

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Yes, some worship Maa Kali or Sri Ganesh, or they will worship Krishna and Radha, or Shiva and Parvati as their God and Goddess. They approach it from a Wiccan perspective, not a Hindu one, quite often.

Monotheist 101

This might be a little off topic...but growing up I had a hindu friend who said on more than one occasion while we were at his house the Lord Ganesha was visiting..didnt quite understand the concept, Do you guys feel the presence/experience of the Gods that you worship..if so what kind of feeling do you get? This is a question directed at hindus, I find it very intriguing..

Cheers
God Bless
:)

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I guess I don't see a problem with it. Who am I to judge? As long as they are aware of the origin of those deities and are careful to explain those origins to curious outsiders who might not understand.

Although I don't know much about Wicca I think they view the function of deities differently then devotees of Hinduism do. But if it brings you closer to the One, I say go for it. This whole thing is a process - an evolution. Some of us are more obviously in the searching/ in-between stages or still trying to consolidate conflicting feelings/beliefs. I feel as long as you are working towards something and not just settling on what's easy because you can, then there's no limit to what modes of worship you can explore.

I, personally would start getting confused if I tried to start fusing too many traditions together. But that's me. Some people are better at that. (I sometimes envy that in them):)

Shanti

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This might be a little off topic...but growing up I had a hindu friend who said on more than one occasion while we were at his house the Lord Ganesha was visiting..didnt quite understand the concept, Do you guys feel the presence/experience of the Gods that you worship..if so what kind of feeling do you get? This is a question directed at hindus, I find it very intriguing..

Cheers
God Bless

An agnostic friend of mine came to the temple with me. After the ceremony (puja) was over, he asked, "Do Hindus feel there is some kind of energy present here?" He was an agnostic, and he definitely felt it. The ability to feel God's presence is one of the, if not the most important, reason I'm a Hindu.

Have you ever watched the movie, "Field of Dreams'? It's like that, but not with quite so much form.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I guess I don't see a problem with it. Who am I to judge? As long as they are aware of the origin of those deities and are careful to explain those origins to curious outsiders who might not understand.

Good point. Some Hindus might be offended of another faith started calling our Gods as their own, and altering the meaning, tales, etc. Although I personally wouldn't take offense, I also think one should give credit where credit is due.

Wannabe Yogi

Cheers
God Bless

Yes, very much so, but just for your info most Hindu's who are educated in there scriptures they are either Monotheistic or Monist.

There are feelings, visions and merging into the Divine. For some of those who really desire God above all, there is a state of consciousness that is called Samadhi. In this state all the world goes away and one becomes One with God. The religious practice of the Hindu's based on these experiences with the divine.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Cheers
God Bless

I did most of the time I visited the Temple, or performed puja. Not every time, but almost every time.

How I felt was similar to the feeling I had as a child towards my teachers.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
What is really great is when you can feel God everywhere and in everyone :) Maybe one day I will get to that point. I am working on it!

Namaste.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, some worship Maa Kali or Sri Ganesh, or they will worship Krishna and Radha, or Shiva and Parvati as their God and Goddess. They approach it from a Wiccan perspective, not a Hindu one, quite often.

That would make sense to me, because as I understand it, Wicca worships the God and Goddess. Perhaps the Hindu representation is the one that is most appealing (for lack of a better word) than, say, Isis and Osiris, or Mary as the Divine Mother and Jesus as the God, or Zeus and Hera, etc. That's why even in my past as a Christian (at least nominally) the Hindu devas were the face of God, as they still are.

There's the scene at the end of Star Trek The Final Frontier movie (definitely one of the fruitier ones) wherein the crew encounters a being who pretends to be God. It shows many faces and says something to the effect of "I have many faces; does this one please you?" taking the face of the old man with the beard, after showing the faces of other deities (it seems the writers slipped in a little R.V. 1.164.46 into the scene), ostensibly because Kirk is Christian and would relate to the Abrahamic image of God. My take on it is that people imagine God differently, so why not some Wiccans putting the faces of Shiva and Parvati on their God and Goddess?

The only issue I'd have with any religion adopting deities from another religion, is ascribing attributes not found in the religion the deities were adopted from. For example, making anger, jealousy and pettiness (like the Greek gods) attributes of Shiva, Vishnu, Krishna or Lakshmi. Otherwise I think this is how syncretism begins, and how new religions are sometimes founded. After all, Wicca really only dates back to the 1930s. It is not the ancient religion most people think it is.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you guys feel the presence/experience of the Gods that you worship..if so what kind of feeling do you get?

Yes, it's a feeling of benevolence that's always with me. In fact, I have such a feeling of their presence sometimes I feel like I have no privacy. :D

I've told this story before:

During Hurricane Sandy part of my fence blew down. It is a 6' high x 8' wide wood slat fence, quite heavy. My backyard slopes downhil, and guess which way the fence fell? Into my neighbor's backyard. I was one month out of rotator cuff surgery, with my arm in a padded sling. I had no one (on this Earth, anyway) to help me move the fence, but it had to be moved. I walked downhill, squatted down and started lifting the fence with my good arm. I said under my breath "Lord Hanuman, please help me" (he is my weightlifting and strength patron). With no further ado I lifted the fence, and flipped it upright, and up into my backyard, with one hand, as if I were tossing a towel. I know, and no one will ever convince me otherwise, that Lord Hanuman either did it himself, or he was pushing from behind. There is no way I should have been able to lift that fence and flip it uphill by myself.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. Some Hindus might be offended of another faith started calling our Gods as their own, and altering the meaning, tales, etc. Although I personally wouldn't take offense, I also think one should give credit where credit is due.

Maybe I should read through a whole thread before running my fingers. :D

The only issue I'd have with any religion adopting deities from another religion, is ascribing attributes not found in the religion the deities were adopted from. For example, making anger, jealousy and pettiness (like the Greek gods) attributes of Shiva, Vishnu, Krishna or Lakshmi.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Yes, it's a feeling of benevolence that's always with me. In fact, I have such a feeling of their presence sometimes I feel like I have no privacy. :D

I've told this story before:

During Hurricane Sandy part of my fence blew down. It is a 6' high x 8' wide wood slat fence, quite heavy. My backyard slopes downhil, and guess which way the fence fell? Into my neighbor's backyard. I was one month out of rotator cuff surgery, with my arm in a padded sling. I had no one (on this Earth, anyway) to help me move the fence, but it had to be moved. I walked downhill, squatted down and started lifting the fence with my good arm. I said under my breath "Lord Hanuman, please help me" (he is my weightlifting and strength patron). With no further ado I lifted the fence, and flipped it upright, and up into my backyard, with one hand, as if I were tossing a towel. I know, and no one will ever convince me otherwise, that Lord Hanuman either did it himself, or he was pushing from behind. There is no way I should have been able to lift that fence and flip it uphill by myself.

What a wonderful story! Jai Shri Hanuman!

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
An agnostic friend of mine came to the temple with me. After the ceremony (puja) was over, he asked, "Do Hindus feel there is some kind of energy present here?" He was an agnostic, and he definitely felt it. The ability to feel God's presence is one of the, if not the most important, reason I'm a Hindu.

Have you ever watched the movie, "Field of Dreams'? It's like that, but not with quite so much form.

I once had an experience like that when I visited the Batu Caves.

In one part of the complex, painted on the wall was "Shiva -->" pointing up the stairs. So I was like "Well heck, Shiva's upstairs, Im gonna go see him while he's there!"

Of course, they were formal so he was in a small room in the center of the room with the door obscured by a curtain and only the Brahmans were allowed behind the curtain. So, disappointed, I walked around it and, at the time, I had something that was bothering me or something I was unsure about, I dont remember, so I asked Shiva about it. It was a while ago, so I dont remember the details anymore but, I got an answer and I was surprised. I thought "shoot, maybe im just thinking it and attributing it to Shiva?" but it felt different than that. I believe that there was something to that.