• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wiccan lottery winner plans to open witch school

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I don't like that at all. It's commercializing a religion (people pay for something that others ("serious" dedicants) can get for free if they really want it), which I don't agree with. Something tells me he's doing that for shock value.

Pariah

Let go
If it is indeed a serious study of Wicca in the same way Catholic schools teach their students religion, then I feel its a much needed aspect of society for his community.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can't believe the guy actually won.
I remember at another forum he said he would open the school if he won, and I think he said he would give it up if he didn't win. I'll have to check around to make sure.

Master Vigil

I think it's a good thing. I know when I was learning natural spirituality, I longed for a school of qualified instructors to help me. But the majority of instructors I found seemed, oh... less than credible.

Isabella Lecour

I'm wondering why he hasn't kept things low key. We've seen how things go when Pagan schools are in the public eye. I'm referring to the debacle of Witch School dot com as an example.

Actually I wish he'd help out or even donate to the efforts of the Cherry Hill Seminary.

John_672

Omnitheist
I've met Bunky. In fact, the man owes me a Reiki session... He's also made appearances on local radio stations, promoting a Special Olympics fund-raiser known as the Polar Bear Plung. He's a good man, from what little I know of him.

From my understanding, the reason why he's opening a School for Wicca is because it is what he promised the Goddess he would do if he won. He won, so now he's keeping his promise. I don't think he's going for shock value - although the media might be. He seems pretty low key in real life.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I think this could be good or bad depending on how he builds the school. Will it be like other religious schools where you can get degrees and what not but with religious overtones in the teaching(like catholic colleges or christian high schools) or just a place to learn about wicca and other religions? Depending on how it turns out I may attend myself. Is there a website for it yet or some other place where I can find out more info?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Interesting. I don't know about having a school that just teaches spiritual matters though. If it were to be a regular college with, as was mentioned, "religious over-tones" then I like the idea. Also having classes available to learn about the practices of other pagan religions would be nice as well. I just don't know how well a school just about wicca, druidism and shamanism would go though. I certainly don't like the idea of people paying to get any kind of degree in any kind of spiritualistic matter. And it would always prompt me to wonder just what qualifies a person to instruct someone else in a religion that is suppose to be so personally based.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Interesting. I don't know about having a school that just teaches spiritual matters though. If it were to be a regular college with, as was mentioned, "religious over-tones" then I like the idea. Also having classes available to learn about the practices of other pagan religions would be nice as well. I just don't know how well a school just about wicca, druidism and shamanism would go though. I certainly don't like the idea of people paying to get any kind of degree in any kind of spiritualistic matter. And it would always prompt me to wonder just what qualifies a person to instruct someone else in a religion that is suppose to be so personally based.

well, if it is a school dedicated entirely towards the instruction of those religions and religious practices, then it could work quiet well - after all, Gardner taught his religion in a similar setting. obviously his Coven wasn't open to the public, but still, an organised teacher-pupil situation was what he worked with.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I've met Bunky. In fact, the man owes me a Reiki session... He's also made appearances on local radio stations, promoting a Special Olympics fund-raiser known as the Polar Bear Plung. He's a good man, from what little I know of him.

From my understanding, the reason why he's opening a School for Wicca is because it is what he promised the Goddess he would do if he won. He won, so now he's keeping his promise. I don't think he's going for shock value - although the media might be. He seems pretty low key in real life.
Reality is often far more entertaining than fiction. Thanks for sharing!

o well opening a school aint that bad aslong as he doesn't waste all his money on it i mean you basic school is around 2 mil then the equipment and teachers salarsy for a year another mil, and il bet it won't be profitable so basicly a money sink

Delilah Roo

As a non-wicca, I think it could be cool, on the other hand is could end badly. It will be interesting to see how it pan's out.

Alceste

Vagabond
Gosh - that is interesting. I don't really have an opinion, apart from: if that's what he promised the Goddess, that's what he's going to have to do. I hope it works out, business-wise though. I can't see there being a very big demand, but who knows? Maybe just the fact of the school's existence will increase the demand for such a school.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Gosh - that is interesting. I don't really have an opinion, apart from: if that's what he promised the Goddess, that's what he's going to have to do. I hope it works out, business-wise though. I can't see there being a very big demand, but who knows? Maybe just the fact of the school's existence will increase the demand for such a school.
He's just gotta make sure that he opens it up where there are a lot of Wiccans. At least ones that are, as they say, "out of the broom closet." I'd love to see that happen. My girlfriend would be pleased by such a step. Considering that this was like a year and a half ago, I wonder how it turned out.

black cat royalty

*probably reading*
I think it's a nice idea. Most of my formal education has come by way of Christian schools - including religious education alongside standard subjects is pretty popular. Wicca has just been underrepresented. I think a serious school that aims to include some information on non-Judeo-Christian beliefs is a good thing, so long as it's actually discussing legitimate beliefs, not pretending Alohomora is a valid unlocking spell. :) I love Hogwarts, but its place is in fiction. And I think education is a better use of lottery money than buying a bunch of new cars or something.