• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wicca and Druidry

rocala

Would some people here kindly summarise the differences between Wicca and modern Druidry.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not a simple task, because there's considerable heterogeneity in both movements. And, to make things more complicated, both Wicca and Neopagan Druidry emerged at around the same time, and there is a clear influence of Wicca on some aspects of Neopagan Druidry. The gentleman who revived OBOD, Ross Nichols, was friends with Gerald Gardner. It's likely why OBOD (and other Druidic orders) use the eight-fold wheel of the year. Further, Druidry can be blended with just about any religious tradition, meaning you can have a Wiccan Druid, Christian Druid, Buddhist Druid, and so on. This is OBOD's take on the matter, but I don't necessarily agree with everything they have on their list.

I guess to really answer this one has to ask "which Wicca" and "which Druidry."

rocala

Hello Quitessence

Many thanks for your response. The points that you raise are exactly why I hesitated in posting, I thought that I was missing some obvious features.

Again thank you, the links are very useful, especially the last which really answered my question

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Some thing I might generally add to that list (or maybe modify) would be things like this, but again they depend on which Wiccan or Druidic tradition one is talking about:
  • I see duotheism as being particularly characteristic of Wicca - to the point I'm reluctant to call something "Wicca" if it lacks that feature. Wicca places a strong emphasis on the God and Goddess (or the Lord and Lady). It is not uncommon for all other polytheistic gods to be interpret as facets of these two. This theological framework is distinct to Wicca, and not an inherent feature of Druidry.
  • Both Druidry and Wicca may make use of Celtic lore or deities in their framework, but it is required of neither tradition.
  • A great deal of emphasis placed on the arts within Druidry, particularly OBOD. Much work focuses on cultivating the Awen, the flow of inspiration, in one's life and practice. The concept of Awen is absent in Wicca, as is the emphasis on storytelling and creativity found in groups like OBOD.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Hmm, one of my best friends is a Druid and I guess I can compare and contrast. There are traditional druids and witches that have nothing to do with any neo-pagan group or organization. In this case, my friend is a traditional Druid... That's to say his Gods are the Celtic ones and his ways are not what you find in the books on Amazon. Most of what Quintessence has said is correct for modern neo-Druids... So, no need talking about that. :) There are many many MANY more traditional Druids in particular than affiliated with organizations.

First, Druids generally don't believe in The Threefold Law/Wiccan Rede since they will often feel hostile to forces and people whom they view hostile to nature and have no problem winging a few curses at them.

Second, they are closer to traditional witches than Wiccans because of the first case. The difference is Druids venerate nature gods, but traditional witches probably see all spirits and gods the same. Animism is a prominent feature of both.

Third, Otherworld -- basically the realm of the dead, spirits, elementals, and all the fun little critters. Generally, Druids and Trad Witches believe in this... Wiccans probably do not, or do not know and aren't steeped in the folklore very much.

Fourth, the Gardner junk about elemental correspondences and all other supposed required tools and whatnot are not used either by the Druids or Trad witches. Both have the view that the elements permeate everything -- directional correspondences are rubbish. This changes every ritual and working for both. :)

There are other points, but sort of drilling it down.. :)

That being said... Modern Druid organizations are just a bunch of people that do the "Awen" thing, and Traditional Druids have nothing to do with Wicca. :)

Last edited: