• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's weird because I have a similar situation, my mother, who too is not very religious, is strongly opposed to my interest in other religion despite her not practicing her/the family's faith.

And everyone says teenagers are irrational and difficult......

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

On a serious note, you have my sympathy. I can afford to take a hard stance with my family because they absolutely no control over me. We are quite emotionally distant as well.

I can only image the hardship caused when those against you have so much sway over both your physical and emotional lives.

xkatz

I can only image the hardship caused when those against you have so much sway over both your physical and emotional lives.

Well it's their faults for being strongly opposed for no good reason in the first place IMO.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Maybe it would help if you showed your parents things about Sikhism. Personally I think its an absolutely beautiful spiritual path. Maybe if you showed them some things they might start to see the beauty of it. Especially the beautiful language about God that is used.

Just a suggestion (^_^)

It's often found that great wise people go against their culture. Jesus and Buddha to name a few. You just have to have courage. Let them know that you are the same person regardless of beliefs and that they should respect your decisions. Remind them that hostility drives you away from them. I've gone through this phase before and ended up writing a pamphlet explaining myself. They were shocked but over time they began to accept it. Actually, my mother is still under the delusion that I'm "struggling with my faith". But, every time she says something like "just pray about it" or attempt to show me scripture or tries to get me to go to a Christian event; I remind her that I don't believe that and that she should respect that.