• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Zen and not Tibetan? ...

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
The esoteric aspects of Tibetan are way too complicated for my tastes. I like the simplicity of Zen. Zen is more direct and to the point, in my opinion. These are some of the basic reasons, there are a few philosophical reasons why I chose Zen over Tibetan, as well.

apophenia

Choose a horse and ride it.

It is not a question of satisfying your requirements.

The differences are the superficial details which you must go beyond anyway.

The single most important thing is being able to honestly communicate with a teacher who can guide you through the process.

The 21st century offers you the chance to be a 'spiritual supermarket' shopper. That is not particularly helpful.Nor was it an option for the Zen patriarchs or Tibetan lamas.

I notice here on RF that people now approach this as though they are buying a new phone or car. Having the process guided by your ego makes a mockery of the whole process.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I chose Zen for 10 years because it worked then.

I choose Tibetan now because it works now.

I've noticed that this is pretty common in Buddhism. Even the great Zen teacher D.T. Suzuki, later in life, became a follower and teacher of Pure Land. I've read stories of Buddhists who switched schools, even some who were masters in both schools they followed.