• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why your religion?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Ok was just wondering why people picked the religion they currently follow and when they did and what made them think that that paticular religion was right for them!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
darkpenguin said:
Ok was just wondering why people picked the religion they currently follow and when they did and what made them think that that paticular religion was right for them!
I guess it's okay if I plagiarize my own words. Here's how I answered this question on a previous thread:

I was raised LDS, but both of my parents (and especially my dad) were pretty liberal by LDS standards. (Yeah, I already know that some people consider the phrase "liberal Latter-day Saint" to be an Oxymoron, but they don't know my dad.) He had a strong testimony of Mormon theology, but he didn't get it by sitting on his duff, mindless assimilating everything he ever heard spoken from the pulpit at church. He taught me, more by example than anything else, that that's not the way intelligent people come to be able to distinguish truth from error. I can remember many times when I'd come home from Sunday School or Seminary (daily religion classes for LDS high school students) and say, "Today Brother So-and-so told us such-and-such." All he had to do was roll his eyes and shake his head, and I knew what he was going to tell me. "Brother So-and-so does not speak for the Church. Furthermore, he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. You know, you don't have to buy into everything everybody tells you."

In the LDS Church, once a month we have what we call "Testimony Meeting." Unlike our regular Sunday worship services, Testimony meeting is a meeting where members of the ward (i.e. congregation) are free to stand up in front of the congregation and "bear testimony." This involves expressing to everyone else their thoughts and feelings as to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, specifically the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Typically, a person might say something to the effect that they know that Jesus is the Christ, that He is their Savior and Exemplar. They might express their gratitude to Him for His atoning sacrifice and acknowledge their unworthiness to receive His promise of salvation. They might to on to testify that they recognize that His gospel was restored to the earth through the Prophet Joseph Smith and that they believe the Church is led by a living prophet today. Most people publically thank God for their many blessings and for their testimony specifically. Often they will relate some sort of faith-promoting experience they have had recently, something that has strengthened the feelings they already had about the Gospel. Parents often encourage their children to stand up and bear their testimonies to the other members of the congregation, and many children do so. Most of the time they say (most often rather nervously and very, very quickly), "I wanna beary my testimony. I love my mom and dad and my brothers and my sister and IknowtheChurchistrueinthenameofJesusChristAmen." As a child, I listened to many children bear their testimonies, and everytime I did, I thought, "What's with you? You don't know the Church is true any more than I do! All you know is what your parents have told you. How can you say the Church is true if you know absolutely nothing about what other churches teach?" Whenever I did stand up (which was a rare occurance), I'd bear testimony to what I really did feel that I knew -- namely that I had a Heavenly Father who loved me and cared about me, that I knew (from personal experience) that He heard and answered my prayers and that He'd sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to earth to make it possible for me to return to be with Him again someday.

I didn't choose to be LDS in the beginning. But, I have since chosen to be LDS. Ten or twelve years ago, I heard it said for the very first time that Mormons were not Christians. I couldn't possibly have been more dumbfounded. How, I wondered, could anybody in his right mind say such a thing? We believed in Jesus Christ. His name is part of the name of our Church. I couldn't help but wonder what on earth could be prompting people to say we weren't Christians, and I set out to find out. I looked, for the first time in my life, at anti-Mormon literature. Most of it I could tell immediately was nothing more than half-truths and distortions intended to mislead people. Some of it, however, surprised me. Did Brigham Young really say that?!!!:eek: Did Joseph Smith really believe that???!!! :eek: Well, rather than just assume I'd been hoodwinked all my life, I stopped to think about it. If I could recognize some of the stuff I'd been reading as inaccurately describing the Church's beliefs, maybe the rest of it was, too. After all, once somebody has told one lie, why should I believe any of what they have to say. That's how my interest in LDS apologetics began. And as I began to look into the claims of our enemies (which is precisely what they are), I learned more about the history and doctrines of the Church than I had in my previous 40+ years of being a Mormon. As I learned more about LDS beliefs, and especially as I compared them to the beliefs of other Christians, I realized for the first time how beautifully rationale the teachings of my Church really are. They answered questions other Christian denominations struggled with or admitted were simply mysteries. I came to be convinced that the apostasy Paul predicted, as well as his propheised restoration, really did happen. And that's where I am today. Still learning, still questioning, still believing.

Smoke

Done here.
I rejected my former religion, and most Western religions, for reasons of peace and justice. My atheism kind of followed naturally; if people aren't perceptive or truthful about humanity, it doesn't seem reasonable to trust what they say about God, either. (That's how it started, but there's more to it now.)

The Quaker testimonies and values -- like peace, justice, equality, simplicity, and integrity -- seemed to me like good testimonies and values to live by. Liberal Quakers do it without scripture, dogma, clergy or rite; that was also attractive to me.

Jerrell

I never picked my religion, nor did I choose to serve God. God chose me, Jesus said in John 6:[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]44 "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day"

Jehovah Jirah chose me, and I have dedicated my life to him. He conviced me with his love, his prophecies, his words, and by the power of his Son, Jesus the Messiah, Jehovah Nissi.

My Faith is not just right for me, it is right for everyone, anyone, and I feel blessed, and those who also beleive should feel blessed also.

We need to focus on love, and love our fellow man instead of always fighting.
[/FONT]

I guess I would be a Unitarian, but saying it is Sikh based unitarianism (which combined Hinduism and Islam in the time of the Protestant reformation with its own supplementary text) is at the same time protesting the Protestants who broke away into their own churches, even though I went to a Presbyterian sunday school which is fine, more laid back than Catholic church I guess, its own way of things. The Quran to me seems to be the third in the trilogy of old and new testaments, and these coming from the one God tradition, unite with Hinduism, a religion of many dieties, for a final suggested synthesis into the ALL, with things like Native American and African nature based religions, ancient pantheons of folklore and real theology, magic (ancient natural science and otherwise), the mental philosophy of Buddhism, political philosophy of Taoism, and new age movements and everything else that has been done by humans on earth for that purpose of fulfilling our existance, as deities of the pantheon of many new paths, the nature path, the science path, the pagan or old ways of which manifests itself as magic. It is a pantheon beyond buddha probably wanting to be made into statues as a joke as a great hindu philosopher to be incorporated into the pantheon. It is the pantheon of the All. All religion leads back to a higher force in nature, in the sky, in the mind, in the people, and the Old and New testaments combined with the Quran are very good examples of the one absolute force that governs this planet. HInduism got off on something slightly differant, and Sikhism combined these two traditions in a beautiful text the Guru Granth Sahib, which is resonant of the pattern of divine harmony and compassion that runs through all of the world's religions

Ðanisty

I've always been Luciferian. I figured out that I was a Luciferian about 4 years ago. It's the best religion for me (obviously since this is the way I've always been).

Bishka

Veteran Member
Because it is the best for me. I've stated this in other threads, so this'll be short and sweet. i tried other religions and faiths, but they just didn't bring my the happiness I found in my own church.