• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why You Can’t Trust Yourself

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Bertrand Russell famously said, “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts.”

Over the years, I’ve hammered on the importance of becoming comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity, in questioning all of your most cherished beliefs and dreams, on practicing skepticism, and doubting everything, most importantly yourself. Throughout these posts, I’ve hinted at the fact that our brains are fundamentally unreliable, that we really have no clue what we’re talking about, even when we think we do, and so on.

But I’ve never given concrete examples or explanations. Well, here they are. Eight reasons you can’t trust yourself, as demonstrated by psychology.

Why You Can’t Trust Yourself - Mark Manson - Pocket

I suppose I trust myself, and maybe I shouldn't, that no matter what life throws at me, I'll figure something out.

However, it's worked out so far.

Long article but interesting.

A short sample...

2. You Don’t Have A Clue about What Makes You Happy (or Miserable)
In his book Stumbling on Happiness, Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert shows us that we suck at remembering how something made us feel in the past and guessing how something will make us feel in the future.

For instance, if your favorite sports team loses the big championship game, you feel awful. But it turns out your memory of how awful you felt doesn’t add up to how bad you felt at the time. In fact, you tend to remember bad things being much worse than they actually were and good things being much better than they actually were.

Similarly with projecting into the future, we overestimate how happy good things will make us feel and how unhappy bad things will make us feel. In fact, we’re often not even aware of how we’re actually feeling in the present moment.

This is just yet another argument for not pursuing happiness for its own sake. All the data indicate that we don’t even know what happiness is, nor are we able to control what we do with it if we actually achieve it.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
But I’ve never given concrete examples or explanations. Well, here they are. Eight reasons you can’t trust yourself, as demonstrated by psychology.

Haven't read the book but I have an idea where its headed just by listening to your description. And as far as the sample you listed, it's dead on for probably 99.9% of everyone in the world. Even myself, at one point.

One important thing I learned in realizing, for example, that I didn't have a clue what made me happy or miserable. Was that I realized I lied to myself. I believe most people do this, its human nature. Which is why online personality test for like dating websites always mismatches people so badly.

But it's not maliscious, well for most folks anyways. Narcissistic sociopaths lie with intent to decieve.

You see why lie to ourselves by portraying our ideal of ourselves that we wish we were vs the reality of who we are. I think a lot of folks do this unconsciously to have an idealistic persona to push themselves towards. But ultimately this will fail most people. Because you are not being honest to yourself about your limits and capabilities. This is hard, because it means you have to accept unpleasant truths about yourself, that you don't even like to think about.

It's only when I realized this then decided to stop lying to myself did I finally start figuring out what actually makes me happy, then I was finally able to pursue my truth.

The easiest example to give is buyer remorse. You think by saving up or working towards the goal of buying something really nice/expensive. Only to fall into depression after acquiring said object. That's because you lied to yourself thinking that getting this will make you happy. But it didn't bring you happiness did it, or at least not for very long?

It applies to relationships and characteristics we wish/look for in mates as well, and just about every other aspect of our lives from the courses we take in school, to the profession we choose, all the way to the coffin you chose to bury yourself in.

Self reflection, tons of it, accepting ugly truths about yourself, then owning them. This is one of the keys to true happiness. So long as you ignore your faults, they will continue to trip you up.

Am I close @Nakosis ?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The fallible human desire for a sense of community and belonging will always make our decisions and judgement suspect. By far most people the peer and family approval is a primary motivation for their choices in life.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
While the article discusses many well-known cognitive shorthands animals use to navigate the world, framing it in a way like "why you can't trust yourself" is irresponsible and unnecessary. Shame on the author of the article for doing so. They should know better.