• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would you want an afterlife?

mohammed_beiruti

Why do you want something after you die?

We live a perfect amount of time in my opinion. The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.

Do you know how long eternity is? Of course you do, but when you say you want eternal life you just don't think of it.

10,000 * two googol is not even half of your time existing there. And let me tell you, isn't that a little too long?

Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!

Think twice about this, and think deep both times. Do you really want that?

we have no choice.... there is an afterlife regardless we want it or no

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Wow, you really, REALLY don't get it. Eternity is OUTSIDE of linear time.

Start here:
Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not necessarily. There are circumstances (i.e. near the edges of black holes) where you can fit infinity long time-spans into the finite universe.

But since that's probably not what you mean, is there an actual problem with an infinite amount of linear time existing somewhere? I don't understand how a mind, a thing that changes from moment to moment, can exist alongside "timelessness."

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Not necessarily. There are circumstances (i.e. near the edges of black holes) where you can fit infinity long time-spans into the finite universe.

But since that's probably not what you mean, is there an actual problem with an infinite amount of linear time existing somewhere? I don't understand how a mind, a thing that changes from moment to moment, can exist alongside "timelessness."

I couldn't have worded it any better.
I have been wondering the same.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I agree. The concept of timelessness and the concept of a mind do not seem compatible to me either.

Even if one puts that aside, there's still the problem of individual dentity. Supposing that a consciousness could transcend space and time and still remain somehow meaningful (which I doubt), this consciousness would be infinite and eternal. If that's the case, how could more than one exist? How could two individual souls transcend space and time and remain separate? It seems to me that if one assumes that an afterlife is a transcending of spacetime, they should assume a loss of individual identity into a uniform oneness, like brahman or something.

petewentz

Fallout Boy
I would want an after life. That's just me, personally. I don't care if the experience is different, or if time is relative, or any of that nonsense...I wouldn't just want to "die". That said, my beliefs are apparent, but just because I wish for an afterlife to occur doesn't mean it's any more likely to occur.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have any specific beliefs about an afterlife, although I do have quite a few favorite possibilities.

Even as a theist I'm not particularly attached to the idea of a life after this one: the way I see it, if all that comes next is complete and utter oblivion, then for as long as I'm alive it isn't an issue for me, and after I die there wont be any "me" to object to the fact that there isn't any me.

Kind of sounds like a win/win.

On the other hand, if there is/are afterlives, I hope I get to be Spiderman in at least one.

Edit: should also add that I have experienced things in this life that suggest to me that there may actually be an afterlife. I never bring those up in here because they would be strictly anecdotal. I figure if you can't show someone something there's no point in telling them something.

Last edited:

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith

We live a perfect amount of time in my opinion. The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.

Do you know how long eternity is? Of course you do, but when you say you want eternal life you just don't think of it.

10,000 * two googol is not even half of your time existing there. And let me tell you, isn't that a little too long?

Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!

Actually the perfect religion would be where after you die you meet up with four choices: Live in a perfect world, life in a world like this, life in a world of your making, or die perminantly. You can always change your mind. That would be way better than getting old around 40 and dying around 80.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I know that to some people, this position is somehow unacceptable, but as a person of faith, I also believe that some things are simply outside the ability of the human mind to understand or grasp. And I'm OK with that.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I guess one day we'll figure it all out. I am sure many of us are in for a few surprises, some of which may be unpleasant.

sky dancer

One thing's for sure. No one on this forum really knows what is going to happen to us when we die.
We all know what we've been taught will happen to us when we die. There are delogs in Tibetan Buddhism, who have died, and come back to teach about the afterlife realms.

There are teachings in Buddhism that describe precisely on an energetic, experiential level what happens in the dying process and how being are reborn.

NemisisQ

BY MY COMMAND......

If christianity actually exist, then i'm sure to be seeing hell in the near future.
If it doesn't exist, then reincarnation.
If your refering to paradise, and what kind it is, then i would like cakes... ALOT AH CAKES!!

Titanic

What is weird is that first you say you want to be a freemason, then apart of jainism, then left hand path, then jedi, then possible christian. It is all a little confusing. Btw I know this is a old thread but I had to reply on this one. I am honestly confused.