• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would you want an afterlife?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Well, the spiritual can be anything because nobody ever seen it or has idea of it, thus doesn't have proof of it itself.

Most of the stories I've read on NDE's claim to have physical emotion, so I assumed that most Christians believed that.

What do you mean by 'physical emotions'?
Also, NDE doesn't equal to afterlife.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Then the problem is easy to fix: change the structure of your mind. :D

You're talking about a "reality" doesn't necessarily even keep to our laws of physics. Eternal boredom seems a trivial problem compared to that.

If something stays the same for all of the time, especially for eternity, and the thing staying the same would be existence, that would get boring. Things get boring or bad after too much of it, it works that way for everything.

If you have limited options in an unlimited existence, you will get bored.

The Sum of Awe

Why would you want to be dead?:thud:

After a googol years of existence, I would want to be dead.

After just a thousand years of existence I would want to be dead.

Remember a googol is not even 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Put that number into years, think how long that'd be.

The Sum of Awe

In my view what truly defines an "afterlife" is some ongoing existence that is not biological life as we know it, such as a ghost, a heavenly being or existing as one of those beings that many people claim to have been into contact with a near death experience. Usually that is what many believers are referring to when they elaborate on their slant on the so called “hereafter”. Frequently they just like to deny the death of their dead relatives and retain them as imaginary friends that consciously watches over them and influences their lives. Sometimes they conjure up visions of dead relatives "rolling in their graves" if a certain person of friend has offended them. Some may even believe they are living on dreaming as they are sleeping in their graves. Personally I find such concepts impossible to believe in.

I don't want to lose my relatives either, but I know they truly, deep down inside of them, if they really think about it, they don't want a life that goes on forever and ever and ever and ever endlessly.

Greyn

South of Providence
Since you believe in a bodily resurrection of infinite duration, can you go over in some detail what these beings will be doing for the billions, trillions, and quadrillions of years of their existence?

[FONT=&quot]No, I cannot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You continue to ask to have a description of something incomprehensible which is impossible. Nobody is arguing that if, in the afterlife, we and the world we would reside in were exactly the same as the day we died, that we would go crazy with boredom or worse. I think I can honestly say that would be 100% accurate, but that is not what the afterlife is about. There are no religions that I know of that preach an afterlife that is exactly the same as the present life. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can understand the OP’s concern for the afterlife. If someone does not have a faith system that adequately addresses the afterlife, then it would be a disturbing idea to try to address on your own terms. Through religion, the incomprehensible afterlife can be addressed (not completely, but still with some structure), but since no hard facts are given it must be done with faith and hope.[/FONT]

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

[FONT=&quot]You continue to ask to have a description of something incomprehensible which is impossible. Nobody is arguing that if, in the afterlife, we and the world we would reside in were exactly the same as the day we died, that we would go crazy with boredom or worse. I think I can honestly say that would be 100% accurate, but that is not what the afterlife is about. There are no religions that I know of that preach an afterlife that is exactly the same as the present life. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I can understand the OP’s concern for the afterlife. If someone does not have a faith system that adequately addresses the afterlife, then it would be a disturbing idea to try to address on your own terms. Through religion, the incomprehensible afterlife can be addressed (not completely, but still with some structure), but since no hard facts are given it must be done with faith and hope.[/FONT]
Ok, I'm asking you to "adequately address the afterlife" with structure based on your faith system.

Can you do so?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

How exactly do you know it is incomprehensible?
That seems a very bad choice of term to use.

The Sum of Awe

You have to consider they were not dead yet.

Is what they claim to be the afterlife really the afterlife?
How to know? Seriously, what afterlife can be is so broad that limiting what it can be to NDE claims is not a good idea.

Who really knows? I'm just going by what is usually thought.

The Sum of Awe

You would be surprised by knowing that what we think of being usually thought is not always true.

I agree that most people believe that if there is a heaven, it may be what you described, only if they really thought deep about it.

But some people think the concept or some people even believe that heaven is just another world.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Sum of Awe - I think where you get off track is that you seem to believe that if there is an afterlife, it's like a very long version of life here (though maybe all good), and that it's constrained by life's senses as we know and experience them.

Many people (myself included) who believe in an afterlife believe that we will not be constrained by our current intellect, senses, expectations, desires, etc - OR our understanding of time (because we don't believe that eternity is constrained by linear time).

So it's not at all unfathomable to us that eternity will be delightful, exciting, beautiful, invigorating, and filled with emotions so rich and vibrant that we will never tire of the experience.

The Sum of Awe

Sum of Awe - I think where you get off track is that you seem to believe that if there is an afterlife, it's like a very long version of life here (though maybe all good), and that it's constrained by life's senses as we know and experience them.

Many people (myself included) who believe in an afterlife believe that we will not be constrained by our current intellect, senses, expectations, desires, etc - OR our understanding of time (because we don't believe that eternity is constrained by linear time).

So it's not at all unfathomable to us that eternity will be delightful, exciting, beautiful, invigorating, and filled with emotions so rich and vibrant that we will never tire of the experience.

I understand, but anything, no matter what... would you want to live for 1,000,000,000,000 years? Remember how long years are...

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand, but anything, no matter what... would you want to live for 1,000,000,000,000 years? Remember how long years are...

We simply can not make that judgment, because we don't know what we're supposedly going to experience and in what form. You're still judging based on how we feel towards things right now. Our perception of things right now isn't at all necessarily the same then, and things 'then' could be completely different.

And by different i don't mean better or worse, just different. Its called after life, it could be an entire different form of life, with all sorts of different characteristics and rules, and a completely different 'you'.