• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would women join ISIS?

Khudayar

Salam (Hello). Hope you are fine and doing well.

On another forum I saw a thread with the same title and in addition to their views and nice points, I want to learn about yours also.

It is undeniable that some women join ISIS cannibals. Reports say that most of them are Tunisian. Yet, there is a huge number of western women joining them also.

I won't accept possible answers such as, "cause they are stupid" or "they think they are doing a good deed for God's sake".

There has to be a reason, no matter how stupid, for someone to risk her own life. And there has to be a reason, no matter how stupid, why someone who lives under a secular regime (such as Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, etc.) pick Syria and Iraq to fight and not against their own secular regimes.

The views of Muslims and non-Muslims as well are welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

On another forum I saw a thread with the same title and in addition to their views and nice points, I want to learn about yours also.

It is undeniable that some women join ISIS cannibals. Reports say that most of them are Tunisian. Yet, there is a huge number of western women joining them also.

I won't accept possible answers such as, "cause they are stupid" or "they think they are doing a good deed for God's sake".

There has to be a reason, no matter how stupid, for someone to risk her own life. And there has to be a reason, no matter how stupid, why someone who lives under a secular regime (such as Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, etc.) pick Syria and Iraq to fight and not against their own secular regimes.

Thanks a lot.
In all seriousness, I simply cannot imagine why any woman would willingly join the Islamic State. The mind reels...

Marisa

Psychology is an interesting field. I've seen the argument made that these groups prey upon young people of both genders who feel they have no future, or a very limited future. It is indoctrination, and indoctrination requires certain fertile fields: youth (sculptability) or emotional unsteadiness. Consider this point: how do abusers get their victims to believe that love = pain? There is probably some connection between the two.

Selinagirl

I can't understand why ANYBODY will join the IS. The women have maybe romantic dreams. Or they think, it's an honour to be married to an Dschihadist and make her easier to get to Paradise.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, ISIS isn't exactly known for their positive view and treatment of women. They would have to be extremely self-loathing and masochistic to find them appealing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Psychology is an interesting field. I've seen the argument made that these groups prey upon young people of both genders who feel they have no future, or a very limited future. It is indoctrination, and indoctrination requires certain fertile fields: youth (sculptability) or emotional unsteadiness. Consider this point: how do abusers get their victims to believe that love = pain? There is probably some connection between the two.
Though I agree that psychology does have merit, I just don't find the arguments given thus far as being especially compelling. Seriously, how many young people are really emotionally "steady". Likewise the idea of having no future or a very limited future is hardly a rare occurrence in the young. Frankly, any psychological explanation that does not include religious fanaticism is simply not going to be terribly meaningful. The point is that the vast majority of young people, regardless of the horrid circumstances they face, do not and would not think to go trotting off to some sun-blasted hell hole to get closer to Allah.

The problem, as I see it, is as long as we are afraid to label extremely toxic Islamic theology, as opposed to the tepid Islamic theology, we are not going to allow ourselves to see the real reasons they are flocking to the banner of the Islamic State.

Last edited:

Marisa

Though I agree that psychology does have merit, I just don't find the arguments given thus far as being especially compelling. Seriously, how many young people are really emotionally "steady". Likewise the idea of having no future or a very limited future is hardly a rare occurrence in the young. Frankly, any psychological explanation that does not include religious fanaticism is simply not going to be terribly meaningful. The point is that the vast majority of young people, regardless of the horrid circumstances they face, do not and would not think to go trotting off to some sun-blasted hell hole to get closer to Allah.

The problem, as I see it, is as long as we are afraid to label extremely toxic Islamic theology, as opposed to the tepid Islamic theology, we are not going to allow ourselves to see the real reasons they are flocking to the banner of the Islamic State.
Well the human brain doesn't fully mature until around 24 years old so that's a fair point as well.

Jumi

Every now and then someone or some group who has an image of being strong offers young people a dream, no matter how twisted and unrealistic, they will lure discontent people in like a pot of honey. Before 25 years old is the most dangerous time.

When we are older we have to have a duty to show younger people the right ethical conduct by example and talk with them if we think they may be troubled. The problem is that even adults don't seem wise these days and they are out of touch with technology and culture of their kids. If someone entertains these kind of crazy dreams we should offer them perspective and be ready to forgive them.

faroukfarouk

Thanks a lot.

Sounds like they practicing MUTAH.

Shad

Veteran Member
In all seriousness, I simply cannot imagine why any woman would willingly join the Islamic State. The mind reels...

I can. Patriarchy has been the dominate in societies for centuries. Despite the rise of equality in the last century this does not mean every person is raised in such an environment or that equality as an idea has completed it's goal(s). So there will be women that accept an ideology with strict gender roles as they were raised in one. There are also women that see how equality has not made an impact in every part of a society thus see the hypocrisy when equality is used as a positive or complete. It is a mistake to assume that people making this choice are beyond reason just because we can not understand such a choice. They are no more a product of their environment than we are. If we do not understand their environments we can never solve the basic issue which is at the heart of IS. Keep in mind IS, and such groups, are not solely comprised of village idiots, a number have collage and/or university degrees.

Khudayar

Sounds like they practicing MUTAH.

They are not practicing the mutah marriage of the shias or misyaar or urfi marriages of sunnis. Because the so called sex jihad does not meet any conditions of the abovementioned marriage types.

Plus, if you noticed I am not asking what they do. I am asking why they do it. It seems you enjoy bringing your sect stuff into everything.

Islamic Ideology is not toxic after all. It heals the ilnesses of the heart and mind if it is presented and accepted as is.

Nice points. This is the answer I was looking for.

Last edited:

Khudayar

Women probably have no choice, its either they join or be stoned to death.

Where do you get that? Stoning to death is a punishment for adulterers (if they betrayed their husbands-wives, while people watch them do it. Meaning that if the adultery takes place in the presence of the people. Thus they get punished by the people whom they attack the morality of). And noone would commit this crime to be punished so.

And even ISIS, this cannibal movement, does not do that. And if you say, they force women in their region to join them, then it means you did not read my question at all.

IF you had read the question, you would know that I was asking why women in the west would leave their countries to join ISIS. You can't say that ISIS forces women in European countries (with the threats of stoning to death) to leave their countries to join ISIS.

I don't understand why even MODS of this forum do this. They comment without understanding the point. And they say anything which comes to their mind against religion. Weird indeed.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Where do you get that? Stoning to death is a punishment for adulterers (if they betrayed their husbands-wives, while people watch them do it. Meaning that if the adultery takes place in the presence of the people. Thus they get punished by the people whom they attack the morality of). And noone would commit this crime to be punished so.

And even ISIS, this cannibal movement, does not do that. And if you say, they force women in their region to join them, then it means you did not read my question at all.

IF you had read the question, you would know that I was asking why women in the west would leave their countries to join ISIS. You can't say that ISIS forces (with the threats of stoning to death) women in European countries to leave their countries to join ISIS.

I don't understand why even MODS of this forum do this. They comment without understanding the point. And they say anything which comes to their mind against religion. Weird indeed.
Isis is a mentally deranged group of people, how on earth would you even know how these idiots think ?.

Khudayar

I don't know. That is why I am asking. It relates to Psychology. And those who can understand the "criminal minds" can talk about it.

If you don't know why they would do that, then you can ignore this topic (or follow it to learn about it). What I mean is, you don't have to comment on every thread if you don't have a contribution to make.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't know. That is why I am asking. It relates to Psychology. And those who can understand the "criminal minds" can talk about it.

If you don't know why they would do that, then you can ignore this topic (or follow it to learn about it). What I mean is, you don't have to comment on every thread if you don't have a contribution to make.
Look, all you are after is someone to agree with you, and I don't, what the hell is wrong with you, do you have the monopoly of knowing everything ?.

Khudayar

psychoslice, I don't know everything. That's why I ask questions. And I don't need someone to agree or disagree with me. I just hate it when people derail my threads (especially with sectarian hatred or Islamophobic reasons).