• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would someone acknowledge the existence of God but refuse to worship Him?

Piculet

He has sent many messengers and created a world filled with signs for people to reflect. Why would someone acknowledge His existence, but refuse to worship Him and to obey the commands He has told people to obey (or, the commands people think he has made known)?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not so difficult to understand.

Other peoples already have relationships with other things of value to them, whether they call those things gods or not. Different people value different things, and will cultivate different kinds of relationships in their lives. There isn't going to be room for every possible relationship in someone's life. It's not really any more complicated than that.

To add, I'm not interested in any relationship with your god. I don't care about your god beyond academic curiosity. You probably don't care about my gods either. It's not a big deal.

Altfish

Veteran Member
He has sent many messengers and created a world filled with signs for people to reflect. Why would someone acknowledge His existence, but refuse to worship Him and to obey the commands He has told people to obey (or, the commands people think he has made known)?
I worship no one.
I respect people ... but worship them ... you must be joking.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

God told me that God didn't need any worship.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Because your God is one of Many. Some of us listen to the Many, not just the one.

Why don't you listen to the All-Father Odin or the other Æsir? Do they not have lessons you could learn?

QuestioningMind

What about a god simply existing makes a god automatically worthy of worship? Even if I were to be presented with sufficient evidence to acknowledge the existence of a god, there's no reason why I would automatically deem that god worthy of my worship. In fact, if the god you claim exists turned out to be a cruel and wicked being then I would absolutely NOT worship them and would actually oppose them at every opportunity.

epronovost

There can be several reasons. It could be because the deity is considered unworthy or someone could consider, like I do, the principle of worshiping to be immoral.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Maybe the leaders of the religions they are in, have told them lies, like God burns people, forcing people to serve Him? I mean, who is to question the “learned” leaders?

Actually, such a teaching would make me question God’s existence....so, idk.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Why would someone acknowledge the existence of God but refuse to worship Him?

Because everything that exists is a tiny part of God........ which tree or star or blade of grass should I bow down to?

He has sent many messengers and created a world filled with signs for people to reflect.
I see only Nature all around. I reflect upon that all the time.

Why would someone acknowledge His existence, but refuse to worship Him and to obey the commands He has told people to obey
I do obey Nature's commands all the time. So do you. So will you.

(or, the commands people think he has made known)?
Ah, well I think that's you, you see?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I worship no one.
I respect people ... but worship them ... you must be joking.

Funny, I was just reading a commentary about how people misunderstand what worship is the other day. For our consideration:

worship
from Definition of WORSHIP
1: to honor or show reverence for as a divine being or supernatural power
2: to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion

We need to remember that deep respect is worship. Haven't met a human who doesn't worship something. Put another way, I haven't met a human who doesn't have deeply-held values that they regard with great respect, honor, or devotion.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I see it is because all the attractions of the world have been loved, over preference to Love in obedience to God.

Regards Tony

Altfish

Veteran Member
Funny, I was just reading a commentary about how people misunderstand what worship is the other day. For our consideration:

worship

We need to remember that deep respect is worship. Haven't met a human who doesn't worship something. Put another way, I haven't met a human who doesn't have deeply-held values that they regard with great respect, honor, or devotion.
Neither of those meet my most respected people.
I like sportsmen who have given me great excitement; I like musicians who have increased my enjoyment - but none of them have earned ;extravagant respect'

epronovost

worship

You seem to casually ignore the adjective extravagant. Extravagant respect isn't deep respect. Extravagant is exceeding that which is reasonnable.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Maybe the stories told about God describe 'Him' as someone/something unworthy of worship? You know, by promoting slavery, bigotry, ignorance, etc.

And that's even if you do think such a being exists.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
God told me that God didn't need any worship.
Exactly.
I believe in God. Just not the petty primitive warlord God image generally imagined by Abrahamic religionists. God is so far beyond our understanding and perception that I cannot* believe It is concerned about nonsense like worship.

*By cannot I mean that quite literally. I am not able to find Abrahamic God images at all plausible. They're way too primitive.
It's the foundation of my morality. There is no God who cares about us. But we need care. Therefore we must care about each other, or it just won't happen.

Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why would someone acknowledge His existence, but refuse to worship Him and to obey the commands He has told people to obey (or, the commands people think he has made known)?

About commands: people differ about what those commands are or are not.

And worship is often about fulfilling rituals and rites. Many find such limiting.

And as others have pointed out, how people think of divinity varies by belief system.

Because everything that exists is a tiny part of God........ which tree or star or blade of grass should I bow down to?

Yes!

I work on building and expressing love for God by working on my shortcomings when it comes to loving people as I love my dear ones and loving the Earth.

This practice of mine does not need a building or a prescribed ritual or even a set of commandments except for one: The commandment of love.