• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would it bother you if someone prayed for you?

Booko

Deviled Hen
No...I don't mean when someone patronizingly says, "I'll pray for you." That's just rude.

But I've heard atheists, agnostics and theists of some other variety express displeasure about those of another belief praying for them.

I've never got this myself, especially in the case of atheists. I mean, if you don't believe in God, prayers are a waste of the *other* person's time, but how could they affect you, so why would that be upsetting?

And why would, say, a Christian care if a Hindu prays for them?

If you found out later that someone of a different belief system had been praying for you, but didn't ask your permission first, would you be upset, and why?

If you find this sort of things upsetting, please explain why...I've never quite been able to understand it.

(Kudos and Kudzu to MidnightBlue for the thread idea. ;))

Bishka

Veteran Member
Not at all. In my view, the more the merrier. If they feel it will help me (and seriously help, not I wan you to be converted to my faith), then yes, I am okay with it.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
This is something that I find interesting on both sides of the coin.
I have seen where Christians get all bent out of shape over non-Christians (real or imaginary) saying they will pray for them.

Smoke

Done here.
If somebody says, "I'll pray for you," I generally just say thank you.

It's only when they want to pray with me that I have a problem.

spiritually inclined

So long as the person is not trying to convert me to their faith, I would be glad that they are praying for me. Not that the prayer itself will necessarily benefit me, but someone cares for me.

Even if they wanted to pray with me if I were sick (or otherwise not well) that would be okay, too. Just being with someone else you know cares about you can have a positive effect on both one's emotions and physical well being.

James

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I pray for nonbelievers all the time, I just don't tell them (not that it would matter since they don't believe I am praying to anyone anyway). It would not bother me if someone prayed for me. As Beckysoup61 said, the more the merrier.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I pray for nonbelievers all the time, I just don't tell them (not that it would matter since they don't believe I am praying to anyone anyway). It would not bother me if someone prayed for me. As Beckysoup61 said, the more the merrier.

Would it bother you if you knew that, say, one of our pagan friends here was praying for you?

(On another subject, you might consider me a nonbeliever as I'm not a Christian, but I do think you're praying to someone and that it's worthwhile to do so. ;))

Smoke

Done here.
Even if they wanted to pray with me if I were sick (or otherwise not well) that would be okay, too. Just being with someone else you know cares about you can have a positive effect on both one's emotions and physical well being.
I tend to think that somebody who really cares about you will respect your lack of interest in their religion even when you're sick or vulnerable. I know people who would say they do care about me, and that's why they want me to know Jesus, but I'm not interested in affection unaccompanied by respect.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Would it bother you if you knew that, say, one of our pagan friends here was praying for you?

(On another subject, you might consider me a nonbeliever as I'm not a Christian, but I do think you're praying to someone and that it's worthwhile to do so. ;))

When I say nonbeliever I mean someone who believes in no God whatsoever (as in a nontheist), so if you believe in a god then you are not a nonbeliever to me (just a different religion than myself). And no, it wouldn't bother me if a pagan prayed for me. I know almost nothing about any pagan beliefs, so I can't make any assumptions about them or their beliefs. :)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
No...I don't mean when someone patronizingly says, "I'll pray for you." That's just rude.

In that case, no it doesn't bother me at all. To me it shows that they care enough to go out of their way to pray for me, it's uplifting. And if they feel better after praying, then what more can I ask for?

Booko

Deviled Hen
I tend to think that somebody who really cares about you will respect your lack of interest in their religion even when you're sick or vulnerable. I know people who would say they do care about me, and that's why they want me to know Jesus, but I'm not interested in affection unaccompanied by respect.

Oh, that I understand. I wouldn't want to think I was in a vulnerable position someone would take advantage of that.

Would it bother you if someone prayed for your health, but they just never mentioned it?

Would it bother you if someone was praying for you to know Jesus, but they just didn't tell you about it?

Booko

Deviled Hen
When I say nonbeliever I mean someone who believes in no God whatsoever (as in a nontheist), so if you believe in a god then you are not a nonbeliever to me (just a different religion than myself).

Thanks for the clarification, Christine!

And no, it wouldn't bother me if a pagan prayed for me. I know almost nothing about any pagan beliefs, so I can't make any assumptions about them or their beliefs. :)

What I know is they sure wouldn't be praying for anything bad to happen to you. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
Oh, that I understand. I wouldn't want to think I was in a vulnerable position someone would take advantage of that.

Would it bother you if someone prayed for your health, but they just never mentioned it?
Would it bother you if someone was praying for you to know Jesus, but they just didn't tell you about it?
If I don't know about it, how can it bother me? I really don't even mind if they tell me about it, as long as they don't mind if I roll my eyes. I just don't want to have to listen to it, much less participate in it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
If I don't know about it, how can it bother me? I really don't even mind if they tell me about it, as long as they don't mind if I roll my eyes. I just don't want to have to listen to it, much less participate in it.

Ah, but it goes back to things like some Jews being upset that LDS is doing proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims. It's not like LDS is out there publicizing they're doing so, or like a descendant of a victim is going to get a notice in the mail notifying them. But people do get upset anyway.

And I've met a few people here and there that would be upset to even think that somewhere someone is praying for them without their approval.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would be glad for anyone to pray for me or send positive energy or just have me in their thoughts. It would not matter what faith or non faith they belonged to.

rojse

RF Addict
The fact that this person cared about my wellbeing enough to pray for my health or situation in life would be worth quite a lot to me, regardless of their denomination or religious leaning.

Nanda

Polyanna
The only time it bothers me is when it's someone I don't really know or don't like praying that I "find Jesus." It's kind of insulting. Other than that, it's all good.

worshiper

Picker of Nose
any prayer for well being is always good. what bothers me if someone prays for my destruction of something like that.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I have absolutely no problem when someone says they'll pray for me. In fact, I find the action quite considerate and kind and I'm usually touched by it.

Ðanisty

Ah, but it goes back to things like some Jews being upset that LDS is doing proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims. It's not like LDS is out there publicizing they're doing so, or like a descendant of a victim is going to get a notice in the mail notifying them. But people do get upset anyway.

And I've met a few people here and there that would be upset to even think that somewhere someone is praying for them without their approval.
Ah but there is a bit of a difference there, Booko. I don't have any problem whatsoever with people praying for my wellbeing, but I do have a problem with people praying that I convert to their religion. That's rude, in my opinion. If you're praying for me to find Jesus, then you're just praying for me to lose faith in my religion. That's not very considerate. That's where I think the problem is with the proxy baptisms.