• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God want anything?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
(Assuming an omnimax God)

Why would an all-powerful God have any sort of desire? The instant he wants something, it is fulfilled, and if he wants, it has always been fulfilled. (Of course, He knows about the temporal paradox involved...) Since he can do this infinitely quickly, how would God want anything now?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I don't know the ultimate answer to this. I'll put that out there.
But I have a panentheistic view of God. In other words, God -is- the Universe, is Everything, as well as it's generator. Desire exists within reality. If this reality is God, then we can say that God has desire. As least one aspect of the Divine experiences this.

tomato1236

Ninja Master

Why would an all-powerful God have any sort of desire? The instant he wants something, it is fulfilled, and if he wants, it has always been fulfilled. (Of course, He knows about the temporal paradox involved...) Since he can do this infinitely quickly, how would God want anything now?

I think part of becoming more like God is learning to desire good things and to do good. So the full fruition of Godhood would be a perfect desire to do good. The only mortal example I can think of is ridiculously rich people. I would say they have more ability to get whatever they want more quickly than I have. Does that mean their desire is diminished?

Why would an all-powerful God have any sort of desire? The instant he wants something, it is fulfilled, and if he wants, it has always been fulfilled.
I'd say there is it at least one thing that God wants yet does not have: the love of all his created beings. He can't have it because there are so many people in this world who don't even think He exists - not to mention those that ignore or reject Him.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say there is it at least one thing that God wants yet does not have; like the love of all his created beings. He can't have it because there are so many people in this world who don't even think He exists - not to mention those that ignore or reject Him.

Except two things. God doesn't need our love and attention because He is God. And it would be perfectly simple for Him to showcase Himself in order for people to believe in His existence.

But the question really is why He would have desire, not what desire He has.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Except two things. God doesn't need our love and attention because He is God. And it would be perfectly simple for Him to showcase Himself in order for people to believe in His existence.

But the question really is why He would have desire, not what desire He has.

So because someone doesn't need something means they can't want it? God isn't some cold galactic machine. He's a person who loves us. A person who loves others like a father loves his children would certainly have desires for them.

right. why would god desire anything. it's already his. you don't desire what's already yours. why would god want anything when it has always been fulfilled. why would god be subjected to any temporal paradox. or any time restriction. does time even exist. why is god a he.

...though god may be wondering why you worry about him.

but seriously, what is an omnimax god?

I'd say there is it at least one thing that God wants yet does not have: the love of all his created beings. He can't have it because there are so many people in this world who don't even think He exists - not to mention those that ignore or reject Him.

why do the atheists call out his name so much. how can anyone ignore some thing that doesn't exist. there would be nothing to ignore.

what does it gnaw at them so much.

Last edited:
why do the atheists call out his name so much.
You tell me.:shrug: It seems to me that "Oh my God" is just a phrase that people use without it meaning anything.

how can anyone ignore some thing that doesn't exist. there would be nothing to ignore.
Yes. I was mentioning two different groups there. Those who believe God does not exist, and those who, even though they believe he does exist, ignore him.

what does it gnaw at them so much.
You got me there, too.

waitasec

Veteran Member

if you truly love something
let it go...
what does the bible say about love?

if it comes back great if not, hunt it down and kill it...
oh boy
:facepalm:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Wouldn't an all-powerful God have every sort of desire? And look: every sort of desire exists.

Levite

Higher and Higher

What if what God desires is to interact with other beings with free will, who are independent from His own will? What if God wants is not to be alone? What if what God wants is love and companionship and care and grief and solace and fear and worry and pride and to have those experiences reflected back at Him in dialogue?