• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why would God reveal himself in texts?

Hawkins

i mean back in the days when sacred texts were written how many people were actually able to read? like 1 in a 1000? less than that? it's the same as if in todays standards god would reveal his words in C++ computer code.

What is your suggestion? God should make a video tape and tape player for everyone?

cambridge79

What is your suggestion? God should make a video tape and tape player for everyone?

do you think is an efficient way to reach people to collect your words in a book with 800.000 words in it when nobody is able to read it?
please consider also that in present times when the majority of people can read, those who read the bible from cover to cover are actually very few. Even less those who understand it.
I don't know what he was supposed to do cause i'm no god, i simply think that of all the things he could have done what he actually chose to do was not a very efficient choice

allfoak

Alchemist
do you think is an efficient way to reach people to collect your words in a book with 800.000 words in it when nobody is able to read it?
please consider also that in present times when the majority of people can read, those who read the bible from cover to cover are actually very few. Even less those who understand it.
I don't know what he was supposed to do cause i'm no god, i simply think that of all the things he could have done what he actually chose to do was not a very efficient choice

God cannot reveal to man what he is unable to receive.

Those that were able to receive knowledge were given knowledge, these are the ones who wrote the holy books for themselves to have when they returned and for those who would eventually mature in their knowledge and become able to receive the mysteries of God.

The souls of man do not all mature at the same rate.
It is similar to the different generations on earth.
Every generation thinks differently and are at a different level of maturity.
Our souls are also maturing in the same way.

The way God chose to reveal himself was not through text but through the soul of man.

I believe @Terese said it well...

People wrote it, not God. God revealed himself to men through revelation, and it was written.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
it's the same as if in todays standards god would reveal his words in C++ computer code.
And that is the reason most don't get the Biblical prophecy, as it uses computer programming techniques to define words within side its self....

So if you use a computer word search, same as you would with code, you can find the definitions placed in alternate prophets (classes).

The fact that has been done across time as well, justifies to me that the divine has clearly had a hand in some of the things written.

Yet i do agree with your point, it is a bit pointless giving a bunch of Arabs in tents, computer code and then wondering why they've not understood it properly. :innocent:

cambridge79

Didn't the ancients consider written words to be divine?
See here

I guess it was considered magic that words could "stay".

i'm not really sure about that. if i'm not wrong among the ancients texts we have, like for example tablets coming from mesopotamia, there are text much more prosaic like tax collecting and warehouse inventories, It looks like the birth of written language benefited more from " day to day economy" than from religion in that sense.

cambridge79

And that is the reason most don't get the Biblical prophecy, as it uses computer programming techniques to define words within side its self....

So if you use a computer word search, same as you would with code, you can find the definitions placed in alternate prophets (classes).

The fact that has been done across time as well, justifies to me that the divine has clearly had a hand in some of the things written.

Yet i do agree with your point, it is a bit pointless giving a bunch of Arabs in tents, computer code and then wondering why they've not understood it properly. :innocent:

If we're talking about the same thing i've heard about what you're saying and i've heard you can do it even using human books like the odissey, or war and peace. It basically shows that if you're looking for patterns in any book you will probably find them. Also consider that many do that on translations wich would make it quite strange if it worked.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just going to quote this, because it seems it's being ignored.

People wrote it, not God. God revealed himself to men through revelation, and it was written.

The authors of the Bible chose to convey the word of their god in written form. Before the Bible was codified, the tradition would have been oral. After the Bible was codified, most of the tradition was still largely oral, and remains so today.

One might as well ask "why do professors write textbooks about various subjects?" It's one way of communicating and preserving the material. It is not and never was intended as the be-all and end-all of instruction.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If we're talking about the same thing
We're not.... Found the Bible codes you're saying about childish, like doing word searches, where you can move the letter grids about, of course you will then find the words you need in a massive book....

It means nothing, unless you kept the same methodology, and maths all the way through. :rolleyes:

What I'm referring to is, where there are prophetic words in one book, lets say Revelations were it refers to a Biblical dragon, we then use a word search, and look for references to the same dragon/serpent....

Then test if it qualifies the meaning of that term used within Revelations.

So within that instance, there are references within Ezekiel saying 'the dragon claims to have made all things, when God made all things'...

Then we see if there is a matching pattern within that usage, and understanding it applies; which it does clearly with the made up gospel of John, starting with 'through jesus were made all things'. :alien:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
i mean back in the days when sacred texts were written how many people were actually able to read? like 1 in a 1000? less than that? it's the same as if in todays standards god would reveal his words in C++ computer code.
Your imagination needs correction.
Please take the case of Quran/Recitation, it was primarily a verbal converse that G-d made with Muhammad for the benefit of mankind. From Muhammad the Word revealed his companion committed to their memory and from them the others from generation to generation. This system continues to present day.
So it was from heart to heart, what they heard it was easy to understand.
Kindly correct yourself. Please
Regards

John D. Brey

In the Judeo/Christian tradition only the Torah (Pentateuch) was direct revelation from God. As fate would have it, your example of the computer code is pretty accurate since the Pentateuch is not a demotic text (a traditional text used for mundane communication), but a sacred text. The Pentateuch was written with hieroglyphic letters without consonants or punctuation. This being the case, it couldn't even be read like a normal (demotic) text. To read it you would already have to have an inkling (so to say) of what it was saying. You would already have to possess the key as to how to break up the consonants into specific words. Ergo someone, presumably the Author, would have to tell you what the text is saying rather than the text telling you (in this case it can't) what the Author's intention is.

Someone might wonder why the Author would produce a text like that rather than simply revealing Himself directly to one and all? But the text is used as a litmus text to catch those who would engage in Masoretic Malfeasance if given the chance to speak for God. The text is used like a net to catch all the bad fish who, not knowing God directly, are more than willing to speak on his behalf.

John

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
It's about control. Control is alright, but if it's not evened out by chaos it's a pain.

outhouse

Atheistically
God revealed himself to men through revelation,

That's what is claimed.

REALITY is however men have a long track record of creating gods willy nilly and redefining them at will.

Revelation is another word for imagination and hallucination, daydreams and drams at night.

Akivah

G-d revealed Himself to the entire populace of the Hebrews. We all saw Him, it was a national revelation. That's as efficient as it gets. And G-d knew up front that some people would be more learned than others. He told us to rely on judges to carry out the Law.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Your imagination needs correction.
Please take the case of Quran/Recitation, it was primarily a verbal converse that G-d made with Muhammad for the benefit of mankind. From Muhammad the Word revealed his companion committed to their memory and from them the others from generation to generation. This system continues to present day.
So it was from heart to heart, what they heard it was easy to understand.
Kindly correct yourself. Please
Regards
Really? I've read a little bit of the Quran before and it gets into some pretty deep arguments.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Really? I've read a little bit of the Quran before and it gets into some pretty deep arguments.
Yes it is simple, natural and deep all at one time. The Recitation/Quran has systems which are as natural as is the Universe, it is because Universe or Nature is the Work of G-d and Recitation is the Word of G-d, both have signs and clues that clearly point out to the One who created (the Universe or the Nature) and the One who authored it (the Recitation/Quran), in both case it is the same being ONE G-d.
Regards

rusra02

Premium Member
Amongst the Israelites, who I believe were entrusted with writing God's Word, literacy was common. Further, the Holy Scriptures were read regularly for the benefit of all the people, including children. (Exodus 24:7) Having a written record is far better than oral tradition. As the saying goes, "put it in writing". (Deuteronomy 31:10-12)

roger1440

I do stuff
Would you have perfered pictograms?

l90689-150-free-pictogram-icons-signs-and-symbols-23752.png