• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone choose Satanism?

gnostic

The Lost One
Within Judaism Satan is an angel on G-d's side, so it also makes no sense from this context, but most Satanists don't identify with the Christian Satan. A lot are, in fact, atheists.
A lot of atheists who I know, don't believe in Satan any more than they believe in God.

To them, Satan is just as mythological as Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Gaia, Odin, Marduk, Brahma, Shiva, fairies, elves, vampires, etc.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of atheists who I know, don't believe in Satan any more than they believe in God.

To them, Satan is just as mythological as Yahweh, Allah, Zeus, Gaia, Odin, Marduk, Brahma, Shiva, fairies, elves, vampires, etc.
Yeah that's...what I said.

Kapalika

Premium Member

She's pointing out about atheistic satanism

Liu

In regards to Satanists who actually believe in the bible, I remembered one such case which might be helpful for your understanding since it's based on Christian theology (mostly, besides some Jewish and Sufist aspects). She worships both Satan and God, and also prays to several Catholic saints. And from what I recall about her reasons, she said that she does believe she'll go to hell for it but her love would be worth it. You can find her website here if you're interested: Frequently Asked Questions
Just, please keep in mind that this is far from a typical example of Satanism.

By "raised in a Christian background", I meant "raised in a predominately Christian society". Regardless of whether your parents were Christians, if you grew up in a nation where Christianity is prominent, then the religion will have had an affect on your upbringing, at least in the slightest. I was raised by secular parents, and I think that I got my opposition to Abrahamism from my father.
Fair enough. Although your words
They were raised in a strict Abrahamic background (usually a Christian one) and have been oppressed by their family's religious values, and therefore they begin to rebel.
gave of a rather different impression.

And still not true. I'm a Satanist not because of opposition to something else but out of approval of this philosophy and love towards my deity.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I don't understand why anyone would willingly choose to become a Satanist? We all know that The Bible clearly states that - spoiler alert - Satan will be defeated in the end and all his followers will be tortured and / or destroyed. Why would you willingly join the side that you already know will lose?
That's a pretty silly question. They don't believe that the Bible is accurate or has any merit. So, they aren't afraid of claims made in it. Even you, my friend, don't know that the Bible is accurate. You might believe very strongly, but no one knows for sure.

Grumpuss

I don't understand why anyone would willingly choose to become a Satanist? We all know that The Bible clearly states that - spoiler alert - Satan will be defeated in the end and all his followers will be tortured and / or destroyed. Why would you willingly join the side that you already know will lose?
Non sequitur.

I chose to be a Christian, even though Islam says that Jesus's only point in existence is to help Mahdi destroy all the world's religions except Islam in the End Times. Why would I willingly join Christianity, if Islam says it will lose?

Because I don't believe in Islam. The same goes for these Satanists: they don't believe in Christianity the same way Christians do.

That's a pretty silly question. They don't believe that the Bible is accurate or has any merit. So, they aren't afraid of claims made in it. Even you, my friend, don't know that the Bible is accurate. You might believe very strongly, but no one knows for sure.
Ok, I admit that I didn't think everything through when I started this topic. I had in mind the theistic satanists who followed the Satan from The Bible and believe in his existence, not all the other branches that the atheists created because they couldn't come up with any other being to develop a philosophical movement around besides The Bible's antagonist. In my opinion, atheistic satanism is just childish behavior. Sure, feel free to oppose religion if you really must, but you can do so without confusing everyone by taking a mystical being whose existence is considered real by religious people and building a secular current around it. If you wanted to symbolize rebellion, they could have centered their movement around Prometheus or Loki or some other being whose existence is not part of the beliefs of almost a quarter of the planet's population. Or they could have just made up their own being like the flying spaghetti monster.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The Satanists 7 Tenets are a lot better than the 10 Commandments..

1. "One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason."
  2. "The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions."
  3. "One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone."
  4. "The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own."
  5. "Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs."
  6. "People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused."
  7. "Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word."

1. Maybe that's why people become Satanists

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
had in mind the theistic satanists who followed the Satan from The Bible
As was said earlier, I don't know of anyone who is a theistic Satanist who believes the bible is an authentic representation of Satan.
because they couldn't come up with any other being to develop a philosophical movement around besides The Bible's antagonist.
This is probably as oversimplifying as pointing out Christians largely 'stole' their holidays from other religions and why couldnt they come up with something else? The answer is they took what people knew and made it applicable for their own message. Is that childish?

Atheistic Satanism such as LaVayan Satanism developed the way it did specifically because Christianity was the dominating influence and Satanism specifically counters nebulous commandments with authoritarian 'god knows best' and puts the responsibility to make reasoned judgements on humans instead. They want to communicate the Prometheus message and the best way to do that is to provoke questions of the dominant group.
"Why promote Satanism" "what does Satanism entail?"

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Heterodoxy and antinomianism are similar but very different. If you are allowing the Christian faith to define your Satanism by rebelling against it, then you are practicing heterodoxy and that is typically reverse Christianity. If your Satanism is not defined by any other faith then you are left with rebelling against your personal limitations and short comings, this is antinomianism and does not require theistic beliefs.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
The Creator god, whether unconscious or malevolent, is a monster, plain and simple. Illness, suffering, sadness, self hatred, all come from this fiend, who apparently enjoys watching the chaos. Satan gave us our one and only way out, be or at least the only way to fight against God: free conscious will. This makes him the ultimate hero, the monster slayer, the gifter of Self. Satan cares about us as his own whereas to God we exist only to serve.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Gotta agree with 1137
Without Satan's Gift of the Black Flame mankind would have remained an ignorant slave to the Universe and this Fiend-God (gfh). The very reason we can have this discussion is because of this Gift, the very reason we are where we are as a species is because of the Gift.

All around the world wherever you find the Abrahamic faiths in particular, you find death, chaos, enslavement and manipulation. Meanwhile anywhere you find a Satanist or Luciferian you will find someone either ascending themself or ascending others.

Hail Satan
Hail Lucifer
Hail Thy Self!

and puts the responsibility to make reasoned judgements on humans instead.
Really? You're gonna let the species whose members kill each other because they disagree on issues about their religious beliefs and because they have different skin colors be in charge? It doesn't sound like such a good idea to me.

Premium Member
Gotta agree with 1137
Without Satan's Gift of the Black Flame mankind would have remained an ignorant slave to the Universe and this Fiend-God (gfh). The very reason we can have this discussion is because of this Gift, the very reason we are where we are as a species is because of the Gift.

All around the world wherever you find the Abrahamic faiths in particular, you find death, chaos, enslavement and manipulation. Meanwhile anywhere you find a Satanist or Luciferian you will find someone either ascending themself or ascending others.

Hail Satan
Hail Lucifer
Hail Thy Self!

"Gfh"?

Premium Member
Really? You're gonna let the species whose members kill each other because they disagree on issues about their religious beliefs and because they have different skin colors be in charge? It doesn't sound like such a good idea to me.

And where's your damn loving God to end the fighting?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
From a theistic Satanist who believes In a god that's petty, malevolent and has committed multiple acts of genocide out of spite...yeah. They think it's a better idea than going along with the brand of 'righteousness' they believe the Abrahanic God represents.

From the perspective of an atheistic Satanist who believes the bible a collection of writing by mankind with the agenda to create order through control, along with all the ancient prejudices (homophobia, misogyny, sexual repression, a humanocentric universe), then yes. Using your own judgement is preferable to authoritarian traditionalism.

Liu

Ok, I admit that I didn't think everything through when I started this topic. I had in mind the theistic satanists who followed the Satan from The Bible and believe in his existence,
And in regards to those I gave you one example, 3 posts above yours; you may have overlooked it.

not all the other branches that the atheists created because they couldn't come up with any other being to develop a philosophical movement around besides The Bible's antagonist. In my opinion, atheistic satanism is just childish behavior. Sure, feel free to oppose religion if you really must, but you can do so without confusing everyone by taking a mystical being whose existence is considered real by religious people and building a secular current around it. If you wanted to symbolize rebellion, they could have centered their movement around Prometheus or Loki or some other being whose existence is not part of the beliefs of almost a quarter of the planet's population. Or they could have just made up their own being like the flying spaghetti monster.
Why make up something new if what's already there fits well?
I'd not have started calling it Satanism, I'd be fine calling my religion e.g. Discordianism or simply the Left Hand Path or maybe Setianism. But since the term Satanism is now pretty much established, and since Satan is one of the mythological characters which, due to how well-known it is, we LHPers work most commonly with, it's simply the most sensible choice to call it by that name.

From a theistic Satanist who believes In a god that's petty, malevolent and has committed multiple acts of genocide out of spite...yeah. They think it's a better idea than going along with the brand of 'righteousness' they believe the Abrahanic God represents.
As was mentioned before, even us theistic (or non-atheistic) Satanists normally don't believe in the bible, nor in its god. Me and at least one other Satanist of those who posted in this thread believe our deity to be beyond moral dualism, so it's not about our deity being less evil or whatever than the Abrahamic one.