• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone choose Satanism?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't understand why anyone would willingly choose to become a Satanist? We all know that The Bible clearly states that - spoiler alert - Satan will be defeated in the end and all his followers will be tortured and / or destroyed. Why would you willingly join the side that you already know will lose?

Because they obviously don't believe the bible to be factual? Duh. That's like someone asking you why are you a Christian when the Koran clearly says that you should be a Muslim?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I don't understand why anyone would willingly choose to become a Satanist? We all know that The Bible clearly states that - spoiler alert - Satan will be defeated in the end and all his followers will be tortured and / or destroyed. Why would you willingly join the side that you already know will lose?

The Bible isn't the only book Satan appears in, and additionally religious Satanism has to do more with the name than the figure. Most Satanists either don't believe Satan literally exists or if he does he's not the Christian Satan.

Put simply, most Satanists believe Satan is either an ancient entity from one of the oldest religions, or he's a symbol of sorts (which started with LaVey). Also don't confuse Luciferians with Satanists. Not all Luciferians are Satanists and vice versa. They follow different philosophies.

Kapalika

Premium Member

Because Satan is amazing. I believe Satan is... what others might call god. The greatest truth, the underlying cosmic reality of all of existence. I would do anything for my Lord.

I also don't believe in the Bible, so that helps. In either case we just see it totally differently. If we believed the same as you we would be Christians.

Satanism is a satire of Christianity, the Satanic verses and Satanic Bible are satire too. that's what Satanism is all about.

Not all of us are like that.

Better to die and be destroyed a free man, than to suffer eternity as a slave.

But, to be clear...

I don't:

1) Believe Jehovah is the one true god, the only god, or a god at all. I am directly aware of many, and he is not on the list. From where I am, he is a made up fairy tale.

2) Believe that the bible is true, as rarely, if ever, has it been.

3) I do not see the universe in a good/evil dichotomy nor in a dualistic way. If I must be a villain by necessity because of this or any reason related to the first two, then so be it.

4) Theistic Satanists, such as I, do not worship as a slave but aspire to the greatness of Satan. We have reverence, but not are not sycophants, like Christians.

Hail Satan!

Reactions: Liu

VioletVortex

I'm not that well-versed in the theology of Judaism, but I encountered the belief that Satan would be more of an aspect of YHVH than an independent being, and I'd assume that this belief would also be shared by this kind of Satanists.
You are right that modern Satanism is generally against hierarchy etc., and that's why such a belief is very rare. But first and foremost, Satanism is about following one's will, and if someone is so inclined to enjoy venerating this concept of Satan, then why not?
Some of us even think that Satanists who worship Satan at all wouldn't be proper Satanists. Imo that's BS, but it's wide-spread enough as a concept that it gives a wrong impression to what Satanism is about for those who do enjoy worshiping.

Then what about the many of us who were raised secularly?
The first reason doesn't apply to me, and the second is also far from being my main reason.

Outside of certain rather peculiar groups this search for prechristian origins of Satanism seems rather uncommon to me. Why yes, we tend to believe that the force/entity/concept of Satan can be found in any culture. But to see any direct link from a previous culture to the Jewish concept of Satan, let alone in form of a demonization done by Judaism, is rarely done. If any, then the Jews demonized their own formerly god-abiding concept of Satan by adopting parts of Zoroastrianism. They did demonize some foreign deities, but those were connected to Satan only in Christianity, as far as I know.
I'm not that well-versed in the theology of Judaism, but I encountered the belief that Satan would be more of an aspect of YHVH than an independent being, and I'd assume that this belief would also be shared by this kind of Satanists.
You are right that modern Satanism is generally against hierarchy etc., and that's why such a belief is very rare. But first and foremost, Satanism is about following one's will, and if someone is so inclined to enjoy venerating this concept of Satan, then why not?
Some of us even think that Satanists who worship Satan at all wouldn't be proper Satanists. Imo that's BS, but it's wide-spread enough as a concept that it gives a wrong impression to what Satanism is about for those who do enjoy worshiping.

The first reason doesn't apply to me, and the second is also far from being my main reason.

Outside of certain rather peculiar groups this search for prechristian origins of Satanism seems rather uncommon to me. Why yes, we tend to believe that the force/entity/concept of Satan can be found in any culture. But to see any direct link from a previous culture to the Jewish concept of Satan, let alone in form of a demonization done by Judaism, is rarely done. If any, then the Jews demonized their own formerly god-abiding concept of Satan by adopting parts of Zoroastrianism. They did demonize some foreign deities, but those were connected to Satan only in Christianity, as far as I know.

By "raised in a Christian background", I meant "raised in a predominately Christian society". Regardless of whether your parents were Christians, if you grew up in a nation where Christianity is prominent, then the religion will have had an affect on your upbringing, at least in the slightest. I was raised by secular parents, and I think that I got my opposition to Abrahamism from my father.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually, Satanists may be polytheists, and their God? is Satan. The Old Testament is rather polytheistic in places, particularly in the Pentateuch.

DavidFirth

Within Judaism Satan is an angel on G-d's side, so it also makes no sense from this context, but most Satanists don't identify with the Christian Satan. A lot are, in fact, atheists.

Satan's biggest and by far best lie is that He doesn't exist or he really isn't the Incarnation of Evil.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Satan's biggest and by far best lie is that He doesn't exist or he really isn't the Incarnation of Evil.
He isn't, and that is the belief supported by the Tanach. G-d also would not create a being to challenge him, who he knows will fail and then damn him forever. That makes no sense.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To many Jews, an angel evil incarnate is a lie Christians tell themselves to scapegoat away their own poor decisions onto a third party, when they fall into temptations of their own heart. To blame Satan or fear Satan would have been equivalent to fearing the tree in the garden of Eden and blame God for putting it there.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I don't know why anyone would choose your avatar, I don't judge you for it.

I'd like to find out how deeply you hold your Christian beliefs. Why was it necessary for Jesus to go to the cross?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I blame it on the Emo kids but then again I blame 99% of the world's problems on emos.

I really think Satanism has a appeal for its relevancy in Christian culture. It is mostly just very bad LARPing done by adults with no taste in aesthetics. Proper paganism beats Satanism any day

Kapalika

Premium Member

Satan is as much evil as he is good, he is actually beyond both. I love Satan, nothing could ever tear me away from that.

I blame it on the Emo kids but then again I blame 99% of the world's problems on emos.

I really think Satanism has a appeal for its relevancy in Christian culture. It is mostly just very bad LARPing done by adults with no taste in aesthetics. Proper paganism beats Satanism any day

Okay, some of us do it in a silly way, but hey, sometimes that can be narm charm. For me I like to have a sense of humor about my Satanicness but it can be pretty ****** if executed correctly. There are a lot of narmy pagan practices anyway, I don't think Satanism is an exception that regard.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Satan is as much evil as he is good, he is actually beyond both. I love Satan, nothing could ever tear me away from that.

Classical shatan is as amoral as the Jehovah in the Tanakh.

Okay, some of us do it in a silly way, but hey, sometimes that can be narm charm. For me I like to have a sense of humor about my Satanicness but it can be pretty ****** if executed correctly. There are a lot of narmy pagan practices anyway, I don't think Satanism is an exception that regard.

I am mostly rambling from personal experience anyways. It is not as if I went up and down the coasts of California to look for Satanists anyways. I find many of them annoying and overly egotistical. I have never encountered that here on this forum amongst the LHP community but then again people who are here naturally remain for the tolerance.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Classical shatan is as amoral as the Jehovah in the Tanakh.

I sincerely hope that a was a typo of Shaitan and not an attempt at a crude pun.

Also this is not true, there is nothing in the Old Testament that indicates that Satan, Ha-Satan, or any Satan was immoral. If you had actually read it you would know that Satan as an entity and not title only appears in one book, (Job) and the damage he did there was no where near even a single incident that Yahweh would do like wiping out entire cities or telling Israel to do so.

From what I've asked of Jews and even a few Rabbis and even read online i that the Serpent was just a serpent, there isn't any indication in the OT that it was Satan, that was "retconned" many many centuries later in Revelations.

I am mostly rambling from personal experience anyways. It is not as if I went up and down the coasts of California to look for Satanists anyways. I find many of them annoying and overly egotistical. I have never encountered that here on this forum amongst the LHP community but then again people who are here naturally remain for the tolerance.

Most active Satanic groups are not based out of California. The largest Satanic chapter in the entire country is The Satanic Temple's Detroit, Michigan Chapter. They are also the largest Satanic group active, and are based in Salem Massachusetts. The older, less big and now days less notable Church of Satan are based in New York City There is even some notable organizations in places like Texas and Oklahoma, or at least were recently.

I myself live on the eastern side of the US but not the coast. I should also note that a lot of Satanists exist in Britain and a surprising amount live in Africa as well.

I don't know what egotistical Satanists you met in person but in my opinion egotism is the antithesis of the left hand path which should help self actualize a person not self-image actualize a person like the right hand path has a tendency to do with more "western" religions.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I sincerely hope that a was a typo of Shaitan and not an attempt at a crude pun.

I don't get the reference but I usually spell shaytan.

Also this is not true, there is nothing in the Old Testament that indicates that Satan, Ha-Satan, or any Satan was immoral. If you had actually read it you would know that Satan as an entity and not title only appears in one book, (Job) and the damage he did there was no where near even a single incident that Yahweh would do like wiping out entire cities or telling Israel to do so.

From what I've asked of Jews and even a few Rabbis and even read online i that the Serpent was just a serpent, there isn't any indication in the OT that it was Satan, that was "retconned" many many centuries later in Revelations.

I said amoral not immoral. Shaytan is shown in many cases through the Tanakh and is the massive reason why Christians can't interpret the story of Job correctly.

Most active Satanic groups are not based out of California. The largest Satanic chapter in the entire country is The Satanic Temple's Detroit, Michigan Chapter. They are also the largest Satanic group active, and are based in Salem Massachusetts. The older, less big and now days less notable Church of Satan are based in New York City There is even some notable organizations in places like Texas and Oklahoma, or at least were recently.

I myself live on the eastern side of the US but not the coast. I should also note that a lot of Satanists exist in Britain and a surprising amount live in Africa as well.

I don't know what egotistical Satanists you met in person but in my opinion egotism is the antithesis of the left hand path which should help self actualize a person not self-image actualize a person like the right hand path has a tendency to do with more "western" religions.

I am being mildly sarcastic and I am only referencing the Satanists themselves and not the organizations. You do not even need to see this in person, just go to any dedicated Satanic forum or website. I was kicked out of one on accusations of being a teenage pedophile and harassing women.

They are filled with very petty people but this is not the point. It is the usage of the term Satanism that bugs me because it is a very bloated word that is only useful for terrifying Evangelicals.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I don't get the reference but I usually spell shaytan.[

I said amoral not immoral. Shaytan is shown in many cases through the Tanakh and is the massive reason why Christians can't interpret the story of Job correctly.

Why use Arabic spelling if we are talking about it in the Jewish context?

I am being mildly sarcastic and I am only referencing the Satanists themselves and not the organizations. You do not even need to see this in person, just go to any dedicated Satanic forum or website. I was kicked out of one on accusations of being a teenage pedophile and harassing women.

They are filled with very petty people but this is not the point. It is the usage of the term Satanism that bugs me because it is a very bloated word that is only useful for terrifying Evangelicals.

Well the groups kind of set a tone for what members they bring in.

And it sounds like there was some drama there that I can't judge but ya some Satanists tend to be more careful about who they associate with. If they perceived you were giving off creepy vibes they wouldn't want you there right or wrong.

I don't think most do it to "terrify evangelicals" I sure don't. That just seems like a way to look at it to dismiss them.

Also if you think so badly of them why would you join a Satanic forum then in the first place?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Why use Arabic spelling if we are talking about it in the Jewish context?

ex-Muslim, I have my habits.

Well the groups kind of set a tone for what members they bring in.

Agreed

And it sounds like there was some drama there that I can't judge but ya some Satanists tend to be more careful about who they associate with. If they perceived you were giving off creepy vibes they wouldn't want you there right or wrong.

I always get stuck in drama, even right now I am tossed into some weird drama at the college I attend. I am a quiet man who stays by himself and has no friends yet I always get caught between people I don't know who somehow know everything about me. It is very frustrating.

Bickering aside I was kicked out because I found out some weird girl was in love with me and started lies and some old dude didn't like me because I he kept thinking I was associated with some other person I don't know. To this very day I have no idea what happened or who they were talking about.

I don't think most do it to "terrify evangelicals" I sure don't. That just seems like a way to look at it to dismiss them.

Never said that, I only said it is useful to terrify evangelicals. I never said Satanists do it or make it their goal. But the word is still bloated with baggage that does not fit most Satanists.

Also if you think so badly of them why would you join a Satanic forum then in the first place?

I never said I think badly of Satanists and I never got bothered by them until I hanged around them online and in person. I got a universal taste for their need to start drama and a taste for their potential in the intellectual arena. Satanism was just unimpressive in every form. Nothing bad but at the same time nothing worthwhile.

If Satanism had a taste it would taste like tofu, bland and uninspiring. Not bad, not great just nothing.