• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would anyone beilieve in something/someone that wants you to?

Deathhtaed

For example the salesman wants you to believe he is selling you something that will save you in the afterlife would you believe him?

What if reading a book like "the book" is in fact agreeing to a contract of servitude at the Pearly Gates Fencing Co on cloud hill st. dimension afterlife zip 77777? Now then everyone who never read "the book" is not bound to unpaid servitude at PGFC, which has a huge splash advertisement campaign against a nonprofit organization called Happy Ends for Lost Lives, which simply lets people adjust to the whatever is next, and get a regular job instead of being a slave to PGFC, or any other company for that matter like Koran Co Real Estate.

I now believe that religion is the earliest form of government. "Everyone believe in this and follow this leader"

It's a way of taking control of the masses by propaganda. Give me a 100% undeniable piece of evidence that ANY religion has truth to its god, and I will bow down to my knees and beg absolution. So, far, all that I can see as evidence is earth made. Not god like.

Deathhtaed

Very good and accurate. Nice statement. I believe l ron hubbard said the quickest way to make money was through religion.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I think you two should read a little bit more about religion and stop equating it to Christianity. What you mention about religion sounds like Christianity and really don't fit in to the Pre-Christian religion. Really early man had religious(like) thing they did and there was no Leader to follow and what not.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I think you two should read a little bit more about religion and stop equating it to Christianity. What you mention about religion sounds like Christianity and really don't fit in to the Pre-Christian religion. Really early man had religious(like) thing they did and there was no Leader to follow and what not.

And some leaders were not Christian :D Look at ancient Egypt!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I now believe that religion is the earliest form of government. "Everyone believe in this and follow this leader"

It's a way of taking control of the masses by propaganda. Give me a 100% undeniable piece of evidence that ANY religion has truth to its god, and I will bow down to my knees and beg absolution. So, far, all that I can see as evidence is earth made. Not god like.

Some religion is a form of government, but I think others were created more along the lines of to make people feel like their existance is meaningful or important in some way, and to give them hope that death is not the end of conciousness. Take Native American religions, for example: I don't know much about them, but I don't think they are a form of government. I think they are more about giving meaning to life, which actually a lot of religions seem to do, while some of them also tie in the scare tactic of hell or some other form of punishment in order to control their followers.

At any rate, about the concept of not believing a sales pitch because there is bound to be a catch, not all advertisement contains lies and tricks. Sometimes you get exactly what is advertised.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member

this assumes that earth and god are separate. What if earth and god are one in the same?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
then there is no god, only the earth. with a god label placed upon it.

Or it's a god with an earth label placed upon it;). If god is a "creative force" then why can't the earth and god be one in the same and have both existing as the same thing(please note I am not speaking of god as some supernatural being. In my mind nothing is supernatural)

would be like believing a rock was god. the rock would still be a rock.

What does a rock have to do with god or earth, other than the rock being a feature of the earth?

religion is a very usefull social construct,
it connects people though being all lesser then "god" ,
it give's hope ("god" is by our side so we can take 1-10 odds),
it distracts people from important issues by being a defualt position

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For example the salesman wants you to believe he is selling you something that will save you in the afterlife would you believe him?

What if reading a book like "the book" is in fact agreeing to a contract of servitude at the Pearly Gates Fencing Co on cloud hill st. dimension afterlife zip 77777? Now then everyone who never read "the book" is not bound to unpaid servitude at PGFC, which has a huge splash advertisement campaign against a nonprofit organization called Happy Ends for Lost Lives, which simply lets people adjust to the whatever is next, and get a regular job instead of being a slave to PGFC, or any other company for that matter like Koran Co Real Estate.
There is no reason to believe in something that you don't understand.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

This opinion that you have, I think that it is the result of historical exposure to Christianity and also current exposure to Islam. While Christian Europe and Islamic Arabia have both used religion as tools of control, not all religions are forms of control. In fact, I would say that most religions are not forms of control.

In most other religions, you dont' have to believe in that particular religion to be on good terms with the adherents of that religion.

You beat me this time...:p

blackout

Violet.
Why would anyone beilieve in something/someone that wants you to?

I wonder this even more regarding Politics than I do regarding religion.

The world at large is always trying to sell you something.
The question is.... Who Benefits?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Because the earth IS a rock?

Notice the last bit of my post that said "other than the rock being a feature of the earth". The earth does have a "skeleton" of rock yes but there is far more to it than that. If the earth were just a rock it wouldn't be able to support life at all.