• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Would an Omnipotent God Want Worshipers?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
He doesn't need them. Since God is real, man needs to know about Him. Our life depends on it.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

if there is no other God besides it, how can it be jealous of what doesn't exist?

Either there are other gods, or else, it's jealous of nothing. seems rather irrational; especially for an omniscient god, don't you think?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why would such an entity even need them?

If god is god of unconditional love, he should not need worshipers. Thats going completely against what displaying unconditional love is.

Here is a scene from Star Trek: Welcome to Olympus

Its a whole wrap up (good episode though) of god wanting people to worship him, why, and the conclusion man made today as compared to before.

omega2xx

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

if there is no other God besides it, how can it be jealous of what doesn't exist?

Either there are other gods, or else, it's jealous of nothing. seems rather irrational; especially for an omniscient god, don't you think?

There are man-made gods but only one God.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If god is god of unconditional love, he should not need worshipers. Thats going completely against what displaying unconditional love is.

Its a whole wrap up (good episode though) of god wanting people to worship him, why, and the conclusion man made today as compared to before.

if we are made in the image of God, wouldn't this creator/progenitor want us to realize our full potential as God? vs a parent always wanting us to remain codependent?

thanks for the video. it triggered the above questions of codependency and realizing what we have the potential to be.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
if we are made in the image of God, wouldn't this creator/progenitor want us to realize our full potential as God? vs a parent always wanting us to remain codependent?

thanks for the video. it triggered the above questions of codependency and realizing what we have the potential to be.

I relate it to a parent. A parent doesnt ask (I hope) for her chikd to worship her "because" she is a parent and is worthy to be worshiped. Children raised in healthy homes tend to Want to relate to their mother not be obligated to.

I dont find a healthy unconditional relationship in codependency. We are dependant on each other but if my future rests in the hands of someone else, Id freak. (I couldnt work in the military type of thing).

God is made in our image. If not, we would have the same foundational concept of god regardless our religions. We dont.

Star Trek has a lot of political messages in each of its episodes. The one I gave from a Star Trek view is man coming down to a foreign planet as "modern people of the future." They meet a god who is lonely and wants someone to worship him and someone he can love. He falls in love with one of the crew ladys. After a series of events, and the god lost, god ssid he just wanted love.

Kirk says it was something that they did "before" but man has advanced so they can no longer worship anymore.

What you said, Foo' reminds me that people havent got to the state Yet of not needing to worship to find meaning in life.

Nothing wrong with that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I have no idea. I would not presume to know what someone else wants, omnipotent entity or otherwise, unless they tell me. And, as far as I'm aware, no omnipotent entity has told me anything. :shrug:

VioletVortex

I love that episode.

An omnipotent god would not "want" anything. He would have everything at his own will, no need for desire. I do not believe that any one god is omnipotent.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The age of fear is slowly starting to come to an end and with it the demand that we worship out of fear and participate in propitiatory rituals.

When I see something beautiful or hear something beautiful, my heart automatically responds. The rose does not need my response nor does a piece of music. My response is intrinsic and automatic.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

It's the only way to thank God and be grateful for all of his givings to us.

One of the companions of the prophet asked him, why you need to pray while you will
be in paradise because you're the God's messenger.

The prophet said, shouldn't I be grateful for him for such givings.

A Vestigial Mote

This idea struck a chord - and there is something very interesting here. By many theists' own way of thinking, they should take God to task for this very proclamation. They certainly don't hesitate to call atheists out for railing against a God they do not believe the existence of. Why does God get a free pass for railing against gods He should know do not exist? Unless this proclamation of His is an admission that other gods do exist - which opens another can of worms altogether.