• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would an atheist would support the Christ Redeemer statue?

sovietchild

Do you know that statue in Brazil called Christ the Redeemer? It's a statue of a man, his name was Jesus. He walked on this earth long time ago and ate food like regular people. He preached the religion of Ibrahim.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the only way it's gonna hurt anyone is if it falls down?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Why would an atheist would support Christ the Redeemer statue?

We don't.
But we don't idolize a 7th century warlord and his poetry collection. So if the folks in Rio De Janeiro want it, it's none of my business. I believe in their freedom to cherish a huge sculpture if they want.
We modern folks have vastly better ethics than existed in 7th century Arabia.
Tom

sovietchild

We don't.
But we don't idolize a 7th century warlord and his poetry collection. So if the folks in Rio De Janeiro want it, it's none of my business. I believe in their freedom to cherish a huge sculpture if they want.
We modern folks have vastly better ethics than existed in 7th century Arabia.
Tom

Okay, but why would an atheist would support it if they are against it?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You are obviously so blinded by your idolatry that my statement:
I believe in their freedom to cherish a huge sculpture if they want.
is beyond your ability to understand.
I believe in many kinds of freedom, including the right to have statues. Personally, I would find it intrusive if I lived there. But I don't live there, so my opinion isn't important to me.
Tom

sovietchild

You are obviously so blinded by your idolatry that my statement:

is beyond your ability to understand.
I believe in many kinds of freedom, including the right to have statues. Personally, I would find it intrusive if I lived there. But I don't live there, so my opinion isn't important to me.
Tom

You don't understand. Why would an atheist who disbelief's in religion of Ibrahim would have full support for the statue of Jesus?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Why would an atheist would support the Christ the Redeemer statue?

Because some people have the ability to appreciate things for different reasons. Many people are comforted by the presence of prominent landmarks which are visible and ever-present in their community. Such things generally transcend the mere representation of a single ideology or idea. Not everyone is over-reactive and myopic in their perceptions and actions.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

We are not against statues. Most of the art masterworks of the renaissance have religious content. Music is the same. Islamic art, Pagan art, Buddhist art is the same.

We do not dynamite art, you know. Like some of your fellow believers. For we are not against that, we are beyond that.

Or do you think we, Christians, Muslims, should destroy things like the Venus of Milo instead of protecting it and show it to everyone as a memento of humanity cultural past?

Ciao

- viole

sovietchild

We are not against statues. Most of the art masterworks of the renaissance have religious content. Music is the same. Islamic art, Pagan art, Buddhist art is the same.

We do not dynamite art, you know. Like some of your fellow believers. For we are not against that, we are beyond that.

Or do you think we, Christians, Muslims, should destroy things like the Venus of Milo instead of protecting it and show it to everyone as a memento of humanity cultural past?

Ciao

- viole

Is Venus of Milo just a way to make money? Please.
Regards.

David1967

Premium Member
Yes, they don't mind having the statue. Why would an atheist support the crowd who think that God has a son? How can God have a son?

Its a work of art. As to your other question, "How can God Have A Son?" Well, He's God. He can have anything He wants.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you know that statue in Brazil called Christ the Redeemer?
I visited it once in the 1970s. As it happens, I was born at the same city where is seen from a large part of the territory.

It's a statue of a man, his name was Jesus. He walked on this earth long time ago and ate food like regular people. He preached the religion of Ibrahim.

I have bigger fish to fry.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Is Venus of Milo just a way to make money? Please.
Regards.

Yes, like the Mona Lisa, I suppose.

The question is why people would pay to see a few pixels on a frame.

Do you think you are smart by asking questions like that?

Ciao

- viole