• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a just and loving God allow a serial killer to claim thirty victims?

It's the same question rephrased "how can a good God exist,if he allows evil to exit?" Basically, man's concept of perfection is where
he lives in Utopia, and god his is servant. God is not the butler. Only a perfect God would allow the imperfect man to exit in the
first place...and that imperfect existence comes with the price of danger and death. Yes, airliners go down with innocent people on board,
but that is the risk the passenger's knew before they boarded the airplane. Is God obligated to suspended the laws of Physics
(lift VS gravity, thrust VS drag) to save those people from man's faulty equipment? Japan's tsunami...many people knew the danger
of living on the coast, but choose to live their because of the potential for economic gain. Is god's to be blamed for the tsunami
because people wanted money more then safety? Where does man's responsibility begins in a relationship with God?
Yes, put bullets into a gun, and people die...do you want god to suspend the laws of physic about expanding gases in the gun?
Where is man's responsibility in this gun culture...God is not a vending machine for man's want's and desires.

Love it!

I'm talking in respect to free will. The argument is that God cannot program us not to kill innocent people, because it would violate our free will. God exercising his right to take your life can't be construed as denying a person free will, otherwise no one would ever die, unless that's what they freely willed to have happen.

Death is part of life. There are worse things than physical death.

No. Why do people have to make everything black and white?

Life ain't a party and death is no unfortunate tradegy since you know, we're literally born to die.
And no, I'm not going to thank a murderer but I'm not going to pity the murdered either.

I believe that it is all black and white, right or wrong, good or bad, positive or negative. God or not God (Satan) Humans live in the gray, riding the fence with 1 foot in the good and 1 foot in the bad (sin) with no clarity only uncertainty and confusion avoiding the choice. God calls this being "luke warm" Gotta choose A or B, there isn't an option C or opting out of the choice. Because if you don't
Team God or A, then your on Team B.

rusra02

Premium Member
You assume the true God measures and controls the length of each person's life. I don't believe that is true. Further, I believe the true God acts according to his will and his timetable. He has set the day when he will destroy the wicked forever. (Isaiah 13:9, Zephaniah 2:3) Meanwhile, he does not directly intervene to end the evil being perpetrated by men and nations under the control of Satan, except when it affects his purpose. (1 John 5:19) I believe God is deeply grieved at the suffering caused by evil people, and is eager to end this suffering. (Genesis 6:6)

You assume the true God measures and controls the length of each person's life. I don't believe that is true. Further, I believe the true God acts according to his will and his timetable. He has set the day when he will destroy the wicked forever. (Isaiah 13:9, Zephaniah 2:3) Meanwhile, he does not directly intervene to end the evil being perpetrated by men and nations under the control of Satan, except when it affects his purpose. (1 John 5:19) I believe God is deeply grieved at the suffering caused by evil people, and is eager to end this suffering. (Genesis 6:6)
Yes, I believe all of that as well. Question, doesn't God Will and timetable also include the length of our time on earth? Isn't death part of life and when our life is over, that is determined by God? Just wondering how you felt...

Shaul

Premium Member
There is no answer for this kind of question which the human mind is capable of understanding. So you are asking your question to the wrong forum, you need to ask the omnipotent and omniscient.

Here are some things I can pass along which might help dealing with this conundrum:
1) G-d is all powerful.
2) His ways are not our ways and they are unknowable by mere mortals.
3) He loves us and wants the best for us.

Yes, it is confusing and grating not to know the answers. (At least not yet?) In my opinion G-d does want us to keep struggling with these questions. But if He gave us the answers our mortal minds would melt within our skulls.

But, not to worry. There are more pressing questions. Like why didn't we stop our fellow man from committing these crimes?

There is no answer for this kind of question which the human mind is capable of understanding. So you are asking your question to the wrong forum, you need to ask the omnipotent and omniscient.

Here are some things I can pass along which might help dealing with this conundrum:
1) G-d is all powerful.
2) His ways are not our ways and they are unknowable by mere mortals.
3) He loves us and wants the best for us.

Yes, it is confusing and grating not to know the answers. (At least not yet?) In my opinion G-d does want us to keep struggling with these questions. But if He gave us the answers our mortal minds would melt within our skulls.

But, not to worry. There are more pressing questions. Like why didn't we stop our fellow man from committing these crimes?

Yeah! What you said!

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes, I believe all of that as well. Question, doesn't God Will and timetable also include the length of our time on earth? Isn't death part of life and when our life is over, that is determined by God? Just wondering how you felt...
The Bible does not teach that God determines the exact length of each person's life, IMO. The Bible shows that unexpected events, such as sickness or a fatal accident, or a person's own foolishness could cause premature death. (Ecclesiastes 9:12, Genesis 42:4, Deuteronomy 30:19)