• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a god select only the few?

Bear Wild

I get what you're saying but it's viewed differently among Christians and Jews. God "chose" Israel to be an example to the rest of the world, a holy and priestly people reflecting God's light into the world. God isn't here to do everything for us. We have a vocation and He sends us out into the world to fulfill it. God not only reveals Himself to us, but we reveal God to others. It's a communal thing. Hence why Jesus charged His disciples with spreading the Good News (Gospel).

So the Good News, knowledge of God or whatever you prefer to call it was always meant to spread around the world and it has. God has His own way of doing things.

Thanks for your input whether I agree or not. I appreciate your intent and know you find meaning with what you believe. We are all in search of meaning and at least you were honest with me. Look forward to more discussions.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Commonsense.

O earth one planet.
We live inside one heavens supported by oxygen water. The same one equals answer.

Natural God.

Status human life DNA equal.

Science says two parents yet multi of were virtually a human clone. Or twins everywhere.

So we all virtually own the same parents. We're all family.

Science changed spirit mass spirit gas. The spirit heavens changed.

First two humans deceased and first human two parent population small bodied living status as a group theme.

Sperm.
Multi ovaries human babies.

Life attacked eradicated baby to adult new DNA being. Virtually took life back to small origin human population as parents were not sperm ovary forms where we came from.

Commonsense versus human chosen science destruction of God. Use commonsense and not coercion as variation words science and the answer is relative to natural.

The Bible is a known user of coercive science talk. Straight talk by natural humans. The correct self.

Reason by two first parents of all humans were a small population history was stated. Reason baby to adult science man sacrificed human life in science.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If one claims as the Abrahamic religions do that god is the one and only creator, why would that god only present himself to just a few isolated people in this world? Were they the only humans he cared about? Did he not like the rest of the humans that occupied the Earth? Did he not even think to present himself to other people of the Earth? For those that follow this god and feel comfortable with him fine, but to claim him the one and only true god when he only presented to an extremely small group of people in only one location of the world seems cruel to ignore everyone else. That would imply that this perfect one god ignored most of the world of humans. On the other hand if this is just one god of many then fine but that is not the claim.
Abrahamic religion presents a culturally- centric world view. It’s not intended to be universal for all cultures.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Abrahamic religion presents a culturally- centric world view. It’s not intended to be universal for all cultures.
That was true of the Abrahamic religions in previous dispensations, until the coming of Baha'u'llah, whose revelation was intended to be universal, for all of humanity.

“It is incumbent upon every man of insight and understanding to strive to translate that which hath been written into reality and action…. That one indeed is a man who, today, dedicateth himself to the service of the entire human race. The Great Being saith: Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth. In another passage He hath proclaimed: It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 250

Misty Woods

A Child of Our Almighty Creator Jehovah
Good questions.....:)
God did not choose Israel because they were a superior race of people....good grief!....he wanted to exterminate them at times because they could never do as they were told. But there was a reason why he chose just one small nation to make an example of....both in a positive and a negative way. It was a teaching exercise as well as a means to send his son in to the world with clear identification.

Abraham was the most righteous man in the world at the time, so he made a promise to him that through his offspring, the Savior would come.....in a specific tribe, at a specific location, and at a specific time, so that his people would be able to identify him.....but they didn't want him because he did not fulfill their false expectations, and hence, they made excuses to do away with him (as they had done to God's prophets previously.) But through his interactions with this nation, and their obligation to keep his laws (given to no other people) he provided a record so that future generations could see what was required of them, and in turn, what he would do for them if they followed his instructions.....and what would happen if they failed.

There was no point at that time because he was making history with this one nation and creating precedents for his future worshippers who would come out of all nations as he had promised Abraham in the beginning.

Those outside of that nation were virtually left to their own devices and gods as they lived and died for the thousands of years that have intervened. Since the Bible teaches that all who have died are still in their graves, he has promised a resurrection to all of them, no matter what gods they worshipped in their ignorance. Knowledge is what obligates one to worship the true God. If you don't know him, you can't worship him. If you are unaware of something then your actions are not deliberate. No ignorant person will pay for their sin. Jesus did it for them......but there will be obligation on all who become aware of their obligation after their resurrection, but who fail to fulfill it for whatever reason.

His original promise to Abraham was.....(Genesis 22:17-18)
"I will surely bless you and I will surely multiply your offspring like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand on the seashore, and your offspring will take possession of the gate of his enemies. 18 And by means of your offspring all nations of the earth will obtain a blessing for themselves because you have listened to my voice.’”

So the family who came from Abraham's grandson Jacob, were going to become this great nation whom God would protect and bless as long as they obeyed his commands. No enemy would be able to defeat them in the name of its god, because Israel's God was superior. Time and again, he demonstrated this. But when Israel rebelled and disobeyed their God, he allowed their enemies to wipe the floor with them.

It was going to be at the time when this object lesson was nearing completion that he would cleanse a people out of all nations and have them declare the good news of his incoming Kingdom which will destroy all failed human rulership, and replace them with the rulership that humans should have had in the beginning.....the one we have never had the pleasure of enjoying. They threw that away in favor of ruling themselves, and we have been reaping the consequences ever since.....I don't think that most people have any idea what we lost.....

Instead of this.......................................................we have this.

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

images
images

God will take his planet back and reward those who never lost faith in him....that is what I believe....

God's Kingdom will "come" and only then will we see God's will "done on earth as it is in heaven" ....that is how the Bible explains it to me.
I've really missed your wisdom My Sweet Australian Sister

...other antient writings and then we have something to talk about.

Sorry, they would still be as meaningless. But, by what I know, many old religions seem to have an idea of one God that is the most high. For example Brahma in Hinduism, Allah in Islam, native Americans had the Great Spirit. All of those can be a small memory about the same God.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
There are tall people and short people. The rain cools the tall people first, but eventually everyone is comforted.

So what natural attribute does God's favored people have that allows God's automatic and completely indifferent grace to rain down on them first?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The onus after the demise of a particular Messenger sent to a particular people has thus been on the believers in that Messenger and their Message to convey that Message to others.
Good point ^ above ^ because Jesus, as God's Messenger, did convey God's Message to others, and Jesus instructed others to do the same as he did - Luke 4:43; Matthew 24:14; Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
Do the same but on a much grander nation-wide scale, an international declaring about God's Kingdom ( Daniel 2:44).

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.................... We have a vocation and He sends us out into the world to fulfill it. God not only reveals Himself to us, but we reveal God to others. It's a communal thing. Hence why Jesus charged His disciples with spreading the Good News (Gospel).
So the Good News, knowledge of God or whatever you prefer to call it was always meant to spread around the world and it has. God has His own way of doing things.

Yes, ' sends us out into the world to fulfill it ' to internationally declare the good news of God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44)
To do just as Jesus did (Luke 4:43) and to enlarge upon Jesus' work about God's Kingdom - Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So what natural attribute does God's favored people have that allows God's automatic and completely indifferent grace to rain down on them first?
God is 'Not partial' according to Jesus at Matthew 5:45; Luke 6:35; Psalms 104:14-15; Acts of the Apostles 14:17.
So, God's grace (His undeserved kindness) reigns down from heaven on all who want it.

Bear Wild

Sorry, they would still be as meaningless. But, by what I know, many old religions seem to have an idea of one God that is the most high. For example Brahma in Hinduism, Allah in Islam, native Americans had the Great Spirit. All of those can be a small memory about the same God.

So let me understand. The Brahma, Great Spirit, Odin, Dagda, Zeus are the same god as the Abrahamic god but just that he presented himself differently to those people? That would make more sense than only presenting to the tribes of Israel. That clearly would show equality of the different religions also.

Bear Wild

God is 'Not partial' according to Jesus at Matthew 5:45; Luke 6:35; Psalms 104:14-15; Acts of the Apostles 14:17.
So, God's grace (His undeserved kindness) reigns down from heaven on all who want it.

If god is not partial that god would have presented to all of the world. Instead that god presented to the tribes of Israel then according to the new testament came back to the same people as Jesus but within the Jewish religion. Jesus preached to the Jews not the Romans, not the Greeks, not to any other group of people.

Bear Wild

Good point ^ above ^ because Jesus, as God's Messenger, did convey God's Message to others, and Jesus instructed others to do the same as he did - Luke 4:43; Matthew 24:14; Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
Do the same but on a much grander nation-wide scale, an international declaring about God's Kingdom ( Daniel 2:44).

How many generations late if it was a message at all.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If one claims as the Abrahamic religions do that god is the one and only creator, why would that god only present himself to just a few isolated people in this world?
I'm not aware that the God of Abraham presented himself "to just a few isolated people in this world".
If you are referring to the Bible, God chose a means or way of presenting himself to the world alienated from him.

Were they the only humans he cared about?
Of course not.

Did he not like the rest of the humans that occupied the Earth?
From what I read, God loves the world, and cares about all humanity, exceedingly.

Did he not even think to present himself to other people of the Earth?
Yes of course. He purposed it.

For those that follow this god and feel comfortable with him fine, but to claim him the one and only true god when he only presented to an extremely small group of people in only one location of the world seems cruel to ignore everyone else. That would imply that this perfect one god ignored most of the world of humans. On the other hand if this is just one god of many then fine but that is not the claim.
I would like to respond to that by use of an illustration.
Suppose I went to a friend's home, and saw a novel on the table. I took it up, opened to a random page, and started reading. I read that a man cut his hand off. I put the book down, kind of upset with the man.
My friend enters the room and wants to know why I look so upset. I explained, my disgust with the man.
My friend asks, 'Did you read the book? Did you start from the beginning? Well there is a reason, but you'll have to take the time, and start reading from the beginning to find out."

Similarly, with the Bible, if we exclude parts for whatever reason, we would not get the correct answer to these questions. We will arrive at various assumptions, and certain things may be upsetting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
From what I read, God loves the world, and cares about all humanity, exceedingly.
God cares about all of humanity...

John 3:16
King James Version

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So let me understand. The Brahma, Great Spirit, Odin, Dagda, Zeus are the same god as the Abrahamic god but just that he presented himself differently to those people? ...

I don’t say they are same, nor that God presented Himself differently, I say they are memory of same. And I mean with that, they once knew one true God that is the greatest, but the knowledge and memory of it is somehow distorted or partly forgotten, because they have rejected Him, at least in some ways. The original idea and source can be the same, but the knowledge is slightly corrupted, if it is in contradiction with Biblical teachings.

It is interesting that many have the idea of one greatest God and of many lesser gods. Even Bible has the idea of sons of god that were also called gods. So, in some way all old religions form basically same frame of picture, but the details are just little different.

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

That is much like the idea that Creeks and Romans also had.

Bear Wild

I don’t say they are same, nor that God presented Himself differently, I say they are memory of same. And I mean with that, they once knew one true God that is the greatest, but the knowledge and memory of it is somehow distorted or partly forgotten, because they have rejected Him, at least in some ways. The original idea and source can be the same, but the knowledge is slightly corrupted, if it is in contradiction with Biblical teachings.

It is interesting that many have the idea of one greatest God and of many lesser gods. Even Bible has the idea of sons of god that were also called gods. So, in some way all old religions form basically same frame of picture, but the details are just little different.

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

That is much like the idea that Creeks and Romans also had.

Does that mean the most of the world was corrupted and only the tribes of Israel followed correctly the one and true god? So everyone else is wrong.

Did the Tribes of Israel reach out to everyone to include them in their worship of this one true god?

Did Jesus work to be inclusive of everyone including people not a part of the Jewish faith?