• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Worship?

bartdanr

Hi All,

I was wondering: what is the purpose of worship?

Worship literally "to ascribe worth" to someone or something. In many religions, worship is something commanded by God, and improper worship can lead to God's displeasure and punishment. (For example, the story of Nadib and Abihu in Torah, where "strange fire" was offered to God and because of that, they were struck down by God.)

But why would God command worship? What does s/he gain from it? Or do we gain from it? Or both? Is there something about seeing people bow down and say all sorts of wonderful things about you somehow helpful as a God? (If anyone did that to me, even if it's deserved, is embarrising.)

Any way, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Peace

ayani

most worship is not done out of fear of punishment or hell.

when myself and my friends worship, by ourselves or together, we do so to get in touch with and give thanks to that greater something we feel is at work in our lives and in the universe. we do so to commune with one another, and with ourselves, and with the world.

yes, many religions have some prayers or practices that worshippers are advised or commanded to perform. but the purpose of worship is not, i believe, to enslave the worshipper to a god's wrath. but rather to tune in their mind to that god or presence, to humble one's self before it in awe and spirit.

have you ever attended an inter-faith worship group? you might really like it, or at least find it interesting and eye-opening.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I prefer the word "fellowship" to worship. No, they don't mean the same to most, but in both fellowship and worship it's about what the individual gains from it. That could be a closer relationship to God or to each other as a religious community. I do not believe that God needs worship.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize's .........."I do not believe that God needs worship".........., I agree with, as well as gracie's ".............. but the purpose of worship is not, I believe, to enslave the worshipper to a god's wrath. but rather to tune in their mind to that god or presence, to humble one's self before it in awe and spirit."................

I pray to God because I want to ( I enjoy the sensation ), also because sometimes I need a little help with something I don't understand, or maybe just to say 'thanks' for all that is around us.:)

robtex

Veteran Member
Maize said:
I prefer the word "fellowship" to worship. No, they don't mean the same to most, but in both fellowship and worship it's about what the individual gains from it. That could be a closer relationship to God or to each other as a religious community. I do not believe that God needs worship.
Great post!! Can't frubal you gotta spead some love first. But, I would add you to your post that for a God to be omnipotent and in need of anything including worship is a dicotomy of ideas.

Michel praying and worshipping are not the same thing, Do you worship God and if so why?

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
We Discordians rarely pray, it is far too dangerous, but I regularily convine with Eris through my pineal gland among doing other things that appease her, that is how I worship her, I do it to learn more about Eris & as a disciplining technique to keep me living & acting the way I believe I should.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
When I worship, its to give thanks. And god or goddess doesn't need to be worshiped, but I like to at least say thank you for good things that happen, and for the opportunity to learn from the bad things.

Fluffy

A fool
bartdanr, that is exactly the same question I asked myself about a year ago. I feel that since I cannot identify with wanting such an experience such as somebody worshipping me, I cannot possibly offer it to anybody else, especially my god and goddess.

We treat each other as comes naturally which is often equally. Somebody, I forget who, told me that was effectively worshipping my dieties. My response is that they are worshipping me back in that case. In other words I do not buy into what I view as master/slave relationships and I do not believe my dieties do either. When they start treating me as a slave, perhaps I will start acting like one.

I don't mean to disregard other people's worship as I have described above. However, it is something that is beyond my comprehension. I can thank my friends, ask them of a favour, tell them how much they mean to me or get to know them better without describing my actions as worship. I just do not see why I should recategorise such actions as 'worship' when they are done to my dieties when my relationship with them is more close to that of friend than superior.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, "A person will worship something -- have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts -- but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and character.

Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshiping we are becoming."