• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why will our lives be better if there was no Religion.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
(Yes, I know there are a few exceptions to what I'm about to say):

- We will be able to have more honest conversations about important topics
- We will more easily be able to remove all of the remaining "us vs. them" human constructs
- We will - collectively - have better morals and ethics
- We will be freer to use our cognitive abilities
- We will get closer to truly implementing universal human rights

Other than that, not much :)

Thanks for answering those are interesting beliefs hard to either prove or disprove. They are also hard to value.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
When people ask this question what are they thinking religion is; just the traditional organized religions? Any spiritual beliefs? In the modern first world, traditional religion is already dropping out of the game quickly.

So what would a world without religion look like in your question? Does it mean everyone is then atheists?

I doubt everyone would consider themselves atheists. I really would see no reason for atheism to exist, there would be no religions. I want to know what the world would be like if everyone gave up religious beliefs. You can classify religious beliefs as you want. What would your world view be like how would it be better.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It wouldn't. We'd just fight over something else, like we always do. At least religion gives hope, purpose and structure so many people who need it, as well as providing beauty.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In the US, 81% of white evangelicals voted against their own best interests in the 2016 election. . . because Jesus.

And to answer all your hypotheticals. . . Yes, I believe all of those things would be better. A rational worldview regarding religious philosophy transfers to political, economic, and cultural worldviews. Not everyone, of course. . . But the proportions of reasonable people will be better and that's what counts.

Why would it transfer to better other world views. Why would people become rational without religion. The current world populist support is without the majority of religious backing.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Life would be better without religion.

One such example is Islam 800->1100AD . Did you know that 2/3rds of the constellation star names are Arabic? Or that the word 'algebra' and 'algorithm' are Arabic. Or that our numerals are Arabic numerals? Islam during this period was once an open intellectual center of the world in mathematics, engineering, medicine and it was all happening in Baghdad. And all the aforementioned advances in mathematics and astronomy (algebra, constellation discovery) are all traceable to this 300 year period. Free flowing and exchanging of open ideas among Jews, Christians, Atheists, ectetera took place. It was like a modern day Berkeley or New York, for example.

Then something happened in the 12 century. A scholar by the name of Imam Hamid al-Ghazali became quite influential with his religious ideas. What are examples of such ideas? That mathematics is the work of the devil. His works were translated and reproduced throughout the area at a rate rivaling the printing press of today. His religious influence sparked the collapse of their intellectual period and to this day Islam has not recovered.

The World will still be the same but the difference will be absence of fear, there are still a lot of people who have fear of god. Moral behavior is a product of evolution. There have been examples of altruistic behavior in primates such as chimpanzees.

Finally, the least religious countries tend to have the lowest rates of violent crime, are very educated, and have lower rates of poverty and corruption compared to more religious nations which tend to have much higher rates of violent crime and corruption. Overall, the world would be much better.

The past is the past removing religion today will not fix any past injustices. Poor countries will still exist, Rich people will still hoard money, governments will still seek power. How are these poor countries without religion going to get better?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I doubt everyone would consider themselves atheists. I really would see no reason for atheism to exist, there would be no religions. I want to know what the world would be like if everyone gave up religious beliefs. You can classify religious beliefs as you want. What would your world view be like how would it be better.
For me, a world without religion/spiritual beliefs would just leave me more apathetic and depressed about life. I think many would be like me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am proposing nothing, I am curious as to what educated people believe will happen when Religion is gone from the world.

To me, according to Scripture ( Bible education ) it is corrupted religion which will be gone from the world.
The political (kings) will surprisingly turn on the false religious 'queen ' - Revelation 18:7 ( world's religions )
False religion from both inside and outside of 'Christendom' ( so-called Christian but mostly in name only ).
Once such false corrupted religion is gone from the world, then there will be Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
That is because Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will begin his thousand-year governmental rulership over Earth.
In other words, it is the world's false troublesome religions that will be gone, but Not the governmental rule by Christ Jesus which will be left standing because Jesus will usher in global Peace on Earth.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
To me, according to Scripture ( Bible education ) it is corrupted religion which will be gone from the world.
The political (kings) will surprisingly turn on the false religious 'queen ' - Revelation 18:7 ( world's religions )
False religion from both inside and outside of 'Christendom' ( so-called Christian but mostly in name only ).
Once such false corrupted religion is gone from the world, then there will be Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
That is because Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will begin his thousand-year governmental rulership over Earth.
In other words, it is the world's false troublesome religions that will be gone, but Not the governmental rule by Christ Jesus which will be left standing because Jesus will usher in global Peace on Earth.

That's nice but I'm interested in what people believe the earth will be like without religion and Jesus would be considered religious.

Skwim

Veteran Member
At least religion gives hope, purpose and structure so many people who need it . . . ..
I have to agree. Many people lack the coping skills to get them through life comfortably, so do need their faith to serve as a crutch. In this respect, and only in this respect, I think religion is a good thing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have to agree. Many people lack the coping skills to get them through life comfortably, so do need their faith to serve as a crutch. In this respect, and only in this respect, I think religion is a good thing..
Everyone has a "crutch" they use to get through life. Everyone has things they enjoy that make them value life and want to live. You do, too.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That's nice but I'm interested in what people believe the earth will be like without religion and Jesus would be considered religious.

Since schools seem to basically Not deal with morals, then a world without any religion could be an immoral world.

Since Scripture teaches that humans are part of creation, then our in-born conscience is connected to God.
If we ignore our conscience it can become hardened or calloused to the point of No more feeling for others.
So, it would seem to me that without religious morals mankind would decline in love of neighbor, etc.
As the earth was filled with violence in Noah's day, then today's violence will just escalate as people become further and further from God-given religious principles and morals.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Since schools seem to basically Not deal with morals, then a world without any religion could be an immoral world.

Since Scripture teaches that humans are part of creation, then our in-born conscience is connected to God.
If we ignore our conscience it can become hardened or calloused to the point of No more feeling for others.
So, it would seem to me that without religious morals mankind would decline in love of neighbor, etc.
As the earth was filled with violence in Noah's day, then today's violence will just escalate as people become further and further from God-given religious principles and morals.

The op is an exercise for people that believe the world would be better without religion. I would like to know how they feel the world would get better you clearly don't believe the world will be better. That's fine but its not what I'm looking for.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Everyone has a "crutch" they use to get through life. Everyone has things they enjoy that make them value life and want to live. You do, too.
Oh yeah!

I dosen' need no crutch of any kind.
Popeye-4-150.gif
I's self deficient.

Last edited:

Cobol

Code Jockey
The past is the past removing religion today will not fix any past injustices. Poor countries will still exist, Rich people will still hoard money, governments will still seek power. How are these poor countries without religion going to get better?

Compulsory and good quality universal education in the developing nations has been slow. Overall, females have been the most affected with little or no access to educational opportunities which can be attributed to social, traditional and deep-rooted religious and cultural beliefs that are often the barriers they encounter and unable to overcome.

The poor quality of education worldwide constitutes a learning crisis; donors and development agencies have been complicit in its creation, but they can and should be part of the solution, not by prescribing changes, but by fostering conditions where change is possible.

Solving the learning crisis will require flexible policies that allow developing countries to experiment with their own approaches and solutions. No single intervention or innovation will transform failing schools or provide children with the opportunities they need for the 21st century. While there is no universal prescription for education, the international community can help encourage the situation.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Compulsory and good quality universal education in the developing nations has been slow. Overall, females have been the most affected with little or no access to educational opportunities which can be attributed to social, traditional and deep-rooted religious and cultural beliefs that are often the barriers they encounter and unable to overcome.

The poor quality of education worldwide constitutes a learning crisis; donors and development agencies have been complicit in its creation, but they can and should be part of the solution, not by prescribing changes, but by fostering conditions where change is possible.

Solving the learning crisis will require flexible policies that allow developing countries to experiment with their own approaches and solutions. No single intervention or innovation will transform failing schools or provide children with the opportunities they need for the 21st century. While there is no universal prescription for education, the international community can help encourage the situation.

While what you say is true about some religions other religions encourage education for both males and females. I also do not attribute all the lack of education to religion alone but mostly male superiority complex(cultural beliefs). Many poor countries that have religions that support education also have the female education problem.

I also don't see how countries become flexible with their policies once religions are gone. Most of the major wealthy nations already are growing non-religious they don't seem to be more flexible to non-residents. None are making an effort to better world education.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Thanks for answering those are interesting beliefs hard to either prove or disprove. They are also hard to value.

Do you think that if my claims came true they would represent improvements to our lives?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Do you think that if my claims came true they would represent improvements to our lives?
(Yes, I know there are a few exceptions to what I'm about to say):

- We will be able to have more honest conversations about important topics
- We will more easily be able to remove all of the remaining "us vs. them" human constructs
- We will - collectively - have better morals and ethics
- We will be freer to use our cognitive abilities
- We will get closer to truly implementing universal human rights

Other than that, not much :)

I am interested in what people think and don't want to critic to much but you asked.

I don't believe people want honest conversations about important topics with religion or without.
I believe prejudices are built in a part of evolution and no matter what happens we will always have them.
Morals are subjective and we will never be collectively better.
People should think more instead of relying on faith but I wouldn't bet on it. People would probably have more rabbits feet and lucky coins.
I don't ever see universal human rights because humans are individuals and what some people want other people believe is wrong and not because of religion. Free Will and Determinism, Prostitution even bestiality are debated in a non-religious format in the RF some supporting some against.

MJFlores

Are you saying we need religions in order to be charitable people? I'm not sure what point you're making here...

I am just saying we give our blood so others could live. I hope you could also give blood too. Talking better would be nice over tea or coffee but how about some tube and a big needle in your arm so a patient could extend his/her life?

Religions which cannot help are dead ones and money makers for their bosses. I am not talking about them. Religions which is all about rituals are nonsensical and the most boring of all. I am against them too. Religious activities which aims to help others are heaven sent for those who are helped.

dianaiad

On the RF you constantly see the religious count down. More and more people leaving religion. Religion isn't necessary. Religion causes problems for everyone.

What I need to know is why is a world without religion going to be better.

Will Russia the US and China suddenly get along.
Will Pakistan and Israel suddenly become friends
Will North Korea become a paradise.
Will the US no longer have Women, Immigrant, Black, Gay rights problems.

Please give me you best thoughts for why a world without religion is going to be better. I am extremely curious.

I'll give you 2 problems
The RF will no longer exist.
You won't be able to use religion as your fall back for why everything is bad.

That entirely depends upon how you figure to get rid of religion. Having a society without religion HAS been tried, and more than once. The problem is, every single time it has been tried (that is, religion/belief in deity is outlawed) we end up with genocide that outdoes any death count that can be attributed to any religion.

Every.
Single.
Time.

So from this we can conclude that forcibly getting rid of religion does not make anything better.

What if it just sort of fades away because people lose their belief in a deity? Well....I don't see that it's doing the world a whole heck of a lot of good, myself, but then I, being an uncompromising theist and active member of a specific religion, may be biased.

What I HAVE seen is that if there isn't a religion to help provide societal cohesion and a moral code, said moral code has to come from somewhere else....and that 'somewhere else' tends to be either something one takes out of a religion, or adopts from some humanistic philosophy. As far as I can tell, humanism is just a religion without the name, and 'humanity' is put in place of deity.

Perhaps it would be better to wonder why, if there is no deity, humans keep making one up? Religion has to serve some purpose vital to humanity, or (again, if there is no God) there wouldn't be any.

"Imagine" has a pretty tune, but frankly? It's the dumbest song I have ever heard.