• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why We See More Naked Women Than Naked Men On-screen

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Gratuitous nudity bothers me a bit as it is insulting my intellect. When it fits in with the story I'm more insulted when it is not shown as that is a sign of the studios greed. (Making a movie PG13 that should be a movie for adults.)
I'm kinda the opposite. I like gratuitous nudity.
Bodies are fun. Doesn't matter if they're male or female, young or old, fit or pudgy, I just like naked flesh. It's like the spice in a dish, garlic or pepper or basil, they don't make the food any more nutritious. They just taste good.

What I really don't like is the violence. There's enough nastiness in real life, I'm not much interested in seeing it depicted.
Tom

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm kinda the opposite. I like gratuitous nudity.
I also like spicy food. But I feel duped when the chef tries to hide a sub-par meal under the spice.
You can use it to convey a message like the shower scene in Starship Troopers where it tells you that the Troopers in themselves are so egalitarian that they have unisex showers. Or you can send a naked T-800 back in time - which makes no logical sense.
The same goes for violence. Establish that the antagonist is a motherhuggin basterd - let him brutally murder someone. Do it throughout the film and it is just violence pr0n. (Exception: when you are Quetin Tarantino, gratuitous violence becomes an artform.)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Let's face it us guys look terrible naked. Much to the dismay of our wildest private fantasies.

A woman flashes a man , they get the thumbs up.

A man flashes a woman he gets, arrested.

I remember years ago the UK had a glass house where there was a man for a week and a woman for a week if I remember correctly.

When the woman took a shower everyday there were throngs of people watching.

When the mans turn came and took a shower everyday you'd be lucky to have a couple of dozen people watching.

I tried finding the article about it but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think that two important facts are being ignored here. 1) men are, by design, more visually oriented then women. This is why 12 year old boys back in the day almost wore out the lingerie section of Sears and Roebucks catalog (ermm..or so I been told) and old men still enjoy looking at a female even though there's not a lot they can do with her; and B) unfortunately, when it comes to most men, size does matter...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In regards to the OP, men tend to be more "visual" in regards to sexual stimulation than women. Women, otoh, tend to be more touchy/feely" than men.

Thus even our brains tend to be wired differently.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In regards to the OP, men tend to be more "visual" in regards to sexual stimulation than women. Women, otoh, tend to be more touchy/feely" than men.

Thus even our brains tend to be wired differently.

Btw
Is your wife aware of what Italy has become ...speaking of sexual freedom?:p

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I also like spicy food. But I feel duped when the chef tries to hide a sub-par meal under the spice.
I see those as two different issues.
Of course, spaghetti that has been cooked into mush isn't improved by garlicky sauce. But with the garlicky sauce it's still better than mushy pasta with bland sauce.
You can use it to convey a message like the shower scene in Starship Troopers where it tells you that the Troopers in themselves are so egalitarian that they have unisex showers. Or you can send a naked T-800 back in time - which makes no logical sense.
I guess I just don't see the need for a message for justification. A group of team mates celebrating in the shower, after winning the big game, might seem like gratuitous nudity. But who cares? Or skinny dipping or something like that. Uneccessary, but fun.

It also occurs to me to add this. I'm largely talking about nonsexual nudity. Sex and nudity often seem inexplicably linked in media. I don't think that's healthy.
Tom

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I see those as two different issues.
Of course, spaghetti that has been cooked into mush isn't improved by garlicky sauce. But with the garlicky sauce it's still better than mushy pasta with bland sauce.

I guess I just don't see the need for a message for justification. A group of team mates celebrating in the shower, after winning the big game, might seem like gratuitous nudity. But who cares? Or skinny dipping or something like that. Uneccessary, but fun.

It also occurs to me to add this. I'm largely talking about nonsexual nudity. Sex and nudity often seem inexplicably linked in media. I don't think that's healthy.
Tom

Well, remember what Radar said in M*A*S*H (quoting his parents): "Skin is the devil's slipcover." I'll admit that I was raised in a more "modest" family like that; everyone had to be fully dressed.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

(A brief excerpt from an article in the Washington Post's on-line Kindle news service)

"Wonder why you see more naked women than men on-screen? Maybe you’re asking the wrong question.
It’s a more complicated subject than you might think

Nneka McGuire
January 30/20

Few human experiences are undeniably universal, except for breathing, eating and occasionally being irritated with one’s relatives. But here’s one that’s common: You set foot inside a movie theater, and sometime in the next 1.5 to 2 hours, glimpse an uncovered chest or naked backside. Often, those scenes are sexualized. Frequently, the bare body parts belong to women. Overwhelmingly, audiences accept flashes of breast or bottom without much protest.

Female nudity on-screen is commonplace, at times even banal. A 2018 analysis of 1,100 popular films found that 25.4 percent of women had roles with some nudity, versus 9.6 percent of men.

Why?

Depends who you ask. Martha Lauzen, executive director of the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film at San Diego State University, will tell you the short answer is this: The majority of movie directors and writers are, and always have been, men. Men accounted for 87 percent of directors and 81 percent of writers for the 250 highest-grossing domestic films of 2019, according to a recent report that Lauzen wrote.

Donald Clarke, chief film correspondent at the Irish Times, will tell you — already told you, rather cheekily, in a 2016 article — that women have more “rude bits” than men, and therefore “need remove less clothing to render themselves ‘partially naked.’” Plus, he jokes, the male genitalia present, um, cosmetic challenges.

Above all, Clarke, Lauzen and many corners of the Internet point a damning finger at the male gaze. The term, coined by British film theorist Laura Mulvey in a seminal 1975 essay, refers to the orientation of the camera: If the lens has a point of view, it’s a male one, aligned with the interests and appetites of male audiences. “Generally speaking,” Lauzen writes in an email, “women’s bodies have been put on display for men’s pleasure.”

A preponderance of men helming films: check.

The camera’s male gaze: noted.

So, are we done here? Hardly."
source

I'll leave the interested RF reader to pursue the answer on their own via the source link.

My questions:

Considering that movies are controlled to a far greater extent by men than women, and that women do have more “rude bits” than men, and therefore “need remove less clothing to render themselves ‘partially naked." And that " “women’s bodies have been put on display for men’s pleasure.” Are these reasons enough to prompt correction? IOW, Is there anything intrinsically wrong with women baring their body parts 2 1/2 times more frequently than men doing the same?

Side question: Does it bother you that nudity, to whatever degree, appears on screen?

Women would rather read trashy romance novels than watch naked bodies on the screen.
Generally, to women, the story is primary and the bodies are just incidental.
I suspect it might be vice versa (pardon the pun) with men.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, remember what Radar said in M*A*S*H (quoting his parents): "Skin is the devil's slipcover." I'll admit that I was raised in a more "modest" family like that; everyone had to be fully dressed.
Me as well, very modest.
I saw my dad and brother nude a few times, in some all male bathing situation. But even that was highly unusual.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ya kin talk 'bout it, but it donna compare to watch'n it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
All most Americans can see in naked people is sex. I'm not saying there's no sexual element in nudity. But seeing nudity as only and always sexual is just aesthetic numbness. Still, that's what our culture teaches us. *shrug*

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Women would rather read trashy romance novels than watch naked bodies on the screen.
Generally, to women, the story is primary and the bodies are just incidental.
I suspect it might be vice versa (pardon the pun) with men.

Not necessarily so, i would not touch a romance novel and i adore naked bodies, i think they are one of the most artistically supervisor units in this world?

However i would not pay to see them (unless it's a museum entry fee)