• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why we love someone

Milton Platt

have you ever analysed why you love someone? Now I mean anyone. not just a life partner. Can be friends, colleagues. kids, a family member, sport hero, a famous person, anyone. Even if it is only transient. For a short time.
Emotions play a big part. they might say just the right thing that triggers something inside us and makes us feel good about ourselves.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I loved a college friend. non sexual of course. I admired his toughness on the football field. But he also had a real maturity about him and outstanding kindness at times. Once he came to my parents house and said to my parents "Relax Mr and Mrs Sciatica. Roger and I are going to prepare dinner tonight. So he took charge, went shopping with me and we cooked dinner. that is something I never thought of doing for my parents on my own. Since I was pretty spoilt. He was a good listener too. He had authentic compassion. Tough on the outside and soft on the inside. What a guy. A shame we lost touch.
Arent we lucky to meet nice people.

What exactly is "Love"? In the English language, there is only one word to express many ideas. I love my wife. I love beer. I love my dog. Not the same things, obviously, but expressed with the same word. The Greeks had different words for different kinds of love.

sciatica

Notable Member
and for our own health it is worth analysing why we hate someone. because hatred weakens us. better not to waste our energy on hatred.
if we understand " oh that person triggers something in us" can lead to self awareness. and that is what psychology is all about. aelf awareness.

sciatica

Notable Member
What exactly is "Love"? In the English language, there is only one word to express many ideas. I love my wife. I love beer. I love my dog. Not the same things, obviously, but expressed with the same word. The Greeks had different words for different kinds of love.
no but there is a common link. they make us feel good. in different ways. hate causes bad vibes.

sciatica

Notable Member
True. But do we always love everything that makes us feel good? Love is an emotion that is complex and layered.
of course it is....even more than chapter 13 Corinthians. that is another topic.
in my example as someone pointed out, admiration was the main ingredient of the love I had. I sometimes think that we love in others what we lack in ourselves.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think love comes from having the same interests,convictions, and values, it starts out as sunshine but having to say goodbye, hardest thing to do.

The love that comes from virtue never dies. In a temporal world eternal love, very joyful, very painful.

If you ask me so many people love to have fun but it goes no deeper then that. Achievement is all business and passion so there is that love also.

I think many people also live for achievement, wealth, reward, and to have peace. Nothing else or deeper then that. Make the most of life, positivity, success, survival.

Love for others is sacrificial if it has to be. People you would do anything for because they mean so much to you. That happens a lot also.

Milton Platt

of course it is....even more than chapter 13 Corinthians. that is another topic.
in my example as someone pointed out, admiration was the main ingredient of the love I had. I sometimes think that we love in others what we lack in ourselves.

There seems to be a shifting, fuzzy boundary between the words "love" and "admiration". Perhaps that is simply an artifact of language.

sciatica

Notable Member
Harmless people. Harmless people who tend to lose lifes battles. Get the shortest straw.
We might not respect them. But we do love them. To me it shows that much of the love we feel for others is patronising.
And we love cuteness and vulnerability.
Harmless people cant hurt us. The minute they lose that vulnerability is the minute our love starts to fade.
Photos of koalas getting scorched and escaping in the bushfires. Our heart goes out to them. Poor things we say to ourselves. We want to cuddle them like babies. Brings out our maternal instincts.

sciatica

Notable Member
Can we love those who are a threat to our peace. our happiness ?
theres the challenge
Jesus said
'anyone can love baby koalas. can you love pitbull dogs?"

Ayjaydee

Harmless people. Harmless people who tend to lose lifes battles. Get the shortest straw.
We might not respect them. But we do love them. To me it shows that much of the love we feel for others is patronising.
And we love cuteness and vulnerability.
Harmless people cant hurt us. The minute they lose that vulnerability is the minute our love starts to fade.
Photos of koalas getting scorched and escaping in the bushfires. Our heart goes out to them. Poor things we say to ourselves. We want to cuddle them like babies. Brings out our maternal instincts.
How cynical