• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why we know that there was no global flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually keeping on topic of a thread is not part of the TOS, there are no rules against going off topic, you set out to ridicule belief in a flood, and now you are attempting to silence those that might believe in a flood. You're entitled to your opinions, but unfortunately the jury is still out on whether there was a large enough historical flood, you couldn't possibly supply evidence that there was no great flood 10,000 years ago, so don't get all bent out of shape if not everyone agrees with you.
There has not been a great global flood in the last 200,000 years. That much has been unambiguously confirmed by science. The jury has been closed on this matter for over half a century.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I want to clear up a couple of items incorrectly presented due to lack of knowledge, if for nothing more than to clarify any possible misconceptions of the forum rules to anyone else reading this.

FYI calling someone ignorant, no matter how ignorant or not they may be is against the forum TOS, try reading up on them and you'll get less visits from the moderators.

The forum has a mission, policies, and rules. I have not seen anything referred to as Terms of Service or "TOS" during my tenure here.

For your information the TOS states that you cannot attack a person, but only their comments, you can say their comments seem ignorant but you can't say the person is ignorant, like I said read the TOS, you seem to be unaware of them.

Calling a person 'ignorant' because s/he conveys lack of knowledge of subject matter being discussed is akin to calling a person 'hungry' because s/he conveys s/he hasn't eaten all day. Neither violates forum rules as they are written.

Even so, a member called your claims ignorant. I don't see anywhere in the thread where a poster stated that you are ignorant.

Your comments have been referred to the moderation staff, decisions are not made by just one moderators opinion.

In this, you are correct. All staff decisions with regard to moderation are made by consensus. However, a staff member may, on his/her own accord, offer correction of misinformation offered publicly by a member about forum rules and policies.

Actually keeping on topic of a thread is not part of the TOS, there are no rules against going off topic...

Actually, there is...

"Spam or off-topic content is also not allowed on the forums. This includes (but is not limited to) posting links or images without discussion-promoting commentary, posts that deviate significantly from a thread topic or its intent, repetitious non-conversational posts, and any other habits deemed spammy by the staff."

It might do you well to brush up on the forum rules before posting about them without a working understanding of what they are. Here's a link for your convenience:

RF Rules

Last edited:

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
This thread will be dedicated to the evidence that tells us that there was no traditional flood of Noah. That idea fails in almost all aspects of science. Though of course if any believers think that they have some evidence for the flood those thoughts are welcome as well.

Thanks for this interesting post :)

The ancient telling of a "Great Global Flood" comes in the connection of the numerous cultural Creation Story telling.

We all live on the same planet Earth, in the same Solar System, in the same Milky Way galaxy and in the same local part of the visible Universe. These facts are embedded in the ancient telling of the creation.

The Milky Way contours are often mentioned in several cultures as "The Great River in the Sky" which "runs" all around the Earth up in the Sky. If having no mytho-astronomical insights, people and scholars have no other possibilities but to think of a literal flood running on the Earth, but in fact this Flood/River runs up in the Sky all over and around the Earth.

Links to read:
Milky Way (mythology) - Wikipedia
List of names for the Milky Way - Wikipedia
Creation Stores origin from the Milky Way Mythology and before its Creation.

In fact, the Flood Myth is not a myth but the natural and ancient way of describing the scientific and factual cosmos around us all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thanks for this interesting post :)

The ancient telling of a "Great Global Flood" comes in the connection of the numerous cultural Creation Story telling.

We all live on the same planet Earth, in the same Solar System, in the same Milky Way galaxy and in the same local part of the visible Universe. These facts are embedded in the ancient telling of the creation.

The Milky Way contours are often mentioned in several cultures as "The Great River in the Sky" which "runs" all around the Earth up in the Sky. If having no mytho-astronomical insights, people and scholars have no other possibilities but to think of a literal flood running on the Earth, but in fact this Flood/River runs up in the Sky all over and around the Earth.

Links to read:
Milky Way (mythology) - Wikipedia
List of names for the Milky Way - Wikipedia
Creation Stores origin from the Milky Way Mythology and before its Creation.

In fact, the Flood Myth is not a myth but the natural and ancient way of describing the scientific and factual cosmos around us all.

I am sorry, but you are merely guilty of reinterpreting the Bible in the light of what we know today. That can always be done with many works and actually only shows them to be false. Also you are admitting that the Ark story is a myth by doing so. I don't care if you can abuse the Bible to make it look like a story is true. I am only dealing with those that take a fairly literal interpretation of Genesis.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Anyway if someone starts a thread to say there is no flood, it is not off topic to assert you think there might have been some major flood. And I still believe calling someone ignorant is a personal attack, just like calling someone stupid, or dumb.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Anyway if someone starts a thread to say there is no flood, it is not off topic to assert you think there might have been some some major flood. And I still believe calling someone ignorant is a personal attack, just like calling someone stupid, or dumb.

Then you should look up the definition of ignorant, because it's not at all like calling someone stupid or dumb. Clearly you are ignorant when it comes to the meaning of the word. That does NOT mean that you are stupid or dumb, it simply means that you have no knowledge of what the word ignorant actually means. Since I certainly don't know everything there is plenty that I am ignorant of as well. However, anyone can cure themselves of ignorance by simply educating themselves.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I know full well what ignorant means, it just not an appropriate thing to be calling people on the forum IMHO I guess on this topic if your not a research archaeologist researching evidence for a flood all over the world you are ignorant as well. Knowledge does not just mean believing current scientists opinions as fact.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Anyway if someone starts a thread to say there is no flood, it is not off topic to assert you think there might have been some some major flood. And I still believe calling someone ignorant is a personal attack, just like calling someone stupid, or dumb.

The first sentence is correct. But pointing out that you lack an education in the subject that is being discussed is not a personal attack. Stating that you were "too dumb to learn" would be a personal attack. Ignorance is easily remedied with an education just as hunger is remedied with food.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I know full well what ignorant means, it just not an appropriate thing to be calling people on the forum IMHO I guess on this topic if your not a research archaeologist researching evidence for a flood all over the world you are ignorant as well. Knowledge does not just mean believing current scientists opinions as fact.
That is simply not the case. One does not need to have a PhD in mathematics too correct someone when they try to claim 2 + 2 = 5.

The only problem right now is that it seems that you are resisting learning why you are wrong. Posting on a thread when one is not very aware of a topic is fine. Resisting corrections is not a wise tactic to take.

There is a reason that most Christians worldwide do not take Genesis literally. Most of them see that it amounts to calling God a liar when one demands a literal interpretation of that book of the Bible. That Genesis is a series of morality tales and allegory makes much more sense as a Christian than to believe in a lying God.

Lyndon

Premium Member
2+2= 3, 4 or 5. its simple math. 2+2 can definitely =5 Do I need to call you ignorant of Math??

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
2+2= 3, 4 or 5. its simple math. 2+2 can definitely =5 Do I need to call you ignorant of Math??

Nope, as written 2 + 2 = 4. Basic high school math. Now if you want to try to redefine "2" then you would have to state that it is not an integer. An ability to understand a sentence as written can help one to learn.

For example a member earlier tried to claim that Darwin was a racist because of the title of his work. But as written at that time the term "races" had the same meaning as "species". At best you did not understand what I wrote, but I do not think that you have that excuse this time.

As I said earlier ignorance can be cured with education. Are you ready to learn?

Lyndon

Premium Member
you're wrong, you don't understand math, as stated 2 can be anywhere from 1.50001-2.49999 in value, its basic math,

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you're wrong, you don't understand math, as stated 2 can be anywhere from 1.50001-2.49999 in value, its basic math, obviously not your strong suit.
To be more accurate, 1.5+ to 2.5- can be rounded to 2 (called 2 for convenience, called 2 near enough).

But the point is made clearly if you try to say "1.50001=2". That's arithmetically wrong, pure and simple.

Lyndon

Premium Member
it said 2 which can be from 1.500001-2.499999 If you want to say 2.0000 +2.0000 is not equal to 5 then you would be correct.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
you're wrong, you don't understand math, as stated 2 can be anywhere from 1.50001-2.49999 in value, its basic math, obviously not your strong suit.
Nope, I understand math far better than you do.You are now using noninteger values for two. As written it was obvious that I was speaking of integers. At best you are guilty of an equivocation fallacy.

Once again, you should be trying to learn instead of continually demonstrating the holes in your education.

Status
Not open for further replies.