• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why wasn't Jesus married?

Audie

Veteran Member
The irony in presenting someone with whom people could relate while also denying him access to being completely human is not lost on anyone except true believers.

A true believer will truly believe anything.
Except ToE.

Terry Sampson

First, it is a misconception that one needs direct experience with something to understand it. I have never personally tasted feces, but I am certain in acknowledging that it is neither tasteful nor healthy.
  • Misconception that one needs direct experience with something to understand it? So is the "seen one Jew, seen 'em all" theory but that don't stop some folks from believing it.
  • As for tasting feces, ... I dunno, my dog seems to enjoy a turd now and then and it hasn't killed her.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
Jesus never existed. It has been the greatest fraud ever committed on mankind. There are over 16 other gods with almost the same story. It is nothing more than a kindergarten solar myth.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
Maybe he was gay? Maybe nobody was too
interested in a wandering faith healer?

And of course, too- nobody actually knows
when or where he was born, nor where and when
he died. For nine tenths of his life there is not
even the pretense of a record.
What record there is is dubious, believable
only to someone who decided in advance to believe
anything. See "nativity", for one.
All "sayings" are written down many years later,
with the usual explanation being that "god" made
sure the scribes memory was perfect.

So was he married, or left handed? Nobody
actually knows.
If you think about he rose from the dead and continued his teaching. No days you would classify such a person a a Zombie!

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Didn't almost all other biblical prophets have wives - many of them? Is there evidence in the bible Jesus wasn't married? Why shouldn't he have been?
He was a pretty scruffy guy, and his carpentry business never really took off. Also, he spent a lot of time in the company of men, so...

Bob Jones

Prove It!
He was a pretty scruffy guy, and his carpentry business never really took off. Also, he spent a lot of time in the company of men, so...
Jesus is originally from Ireland!

(1)he drank wine with his buddies at dinner
(2) He did not leave home until he was 30
(3) and he always thought his mother was a virgin!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The irony in presenting someone with whom people could relate while also denying him access to being completely human is not lost on anyone except true believers.
That is very true. I tend to think then that maybe the "True Believers" are trying to escape being human, rather than discovering what it means to be fully human, and fully spiritual, like Jesus was. I don't believe they see that as a goal at all, to be fully human and fully awakened. Jesus' body, gets seen really more just a shell, like putting on a coat or something, rather than something he fully inhabited.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Didn't almost all other biblical prophets have wives - many of them? Is there evidence in the bible Jesus wasn't married? Why shouldn't he have been?

I think in order to give a shout out to the celibacy narrative, the story is that he wasn't. Other sources think he may have married Mary Magdalene. I think it would be sweet if that happened. I think he was just married to his work.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Lets ponder why priests are single in the Roman churches. Lets brainstorm. Whether Jesus marries or not, the marriage is not at the center of the gospel story; because there is neither male nor female in Christ. Jesus says those who are resurrected neither marry nor are given in marriage, and he says that those who repent from sin have been resurrected. That is, those who repent and are alive in Christ must deny themselves. Stringent, isn't it? Most people don't like this part. I could be wrong of course, and the priests themselves don't provide this reasoning.

Priests could marry up until the 12th century. Hmm...

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That is very true. I tend to think then that maybe the "True Believers" are trying to escape being human, rather than discovering what it means to be fully human, and fully spiritual, like Jesus was. I don't believe they see that as a goal at all, to be fully human and fully awakened. Jesus' body, gets seen really more just a shell, like putting on a coat or something, rather than something he fully inhabited.

The body is flawed and the spirit is perfect, so the story goes...

Bob Jones

Prove It!
Can you imagine a 30 year old man in his prime having his leg and feet washed with the tears of a prostitute and then dried with her hair? I bet he was solid rock!

dianaiad

You are quite right. There's no real reason for Him not to have been. There's also no real evidence that He was. Personally, I lean a bit to the 'He was married," for a bunch of societal reasons, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if He wasn't.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
He may have been a "nazir", namely a man who dedicates his life to God by living a life of austerity, not cutting his hair, preaching about the need of repentance, etc. However, most nazirs did so only for a limited time, thus eventually getting married.