• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was Hodr punished for accidentally killing Baldr?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems kind of unfair that being blind, Hodr was tricked by Loki into killing Baldr, and then, Hodr, was killed by Vali. It doesn't seem there was any malice in Hodr killing his brother. :shrug:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks, I kind of thought that since Vali grew to full size within one day, but wasn't sure. It did seem like a knee-jerk reaction. I know after his causing the death of Baldr the gods "had it up to here" with Loki.

Btw, yes I've always been drawn to a few of the Norse gods: Thor and Baldr in particular, especially Thor. Along with Hanuman, he's a symbol of strength for me. :)

Sees

Dragonslayer
Thanks, I kind of thought that since Vali grew to full size within one day, but wasn't sure. It did seem like a knee-jerk reaction. I know after his causing the death of Baldr the gods "had it up to here" with Loki.

Btw, yes I've always been drawn to a few of the Norse gods: Thor and Baldr in particular, especially Thor. Along with Hanuman, he's a symbol of strength for me. :)

Good man...every tour of duty I had overseas I wore a mjolnir and some runes carved on buttstocks, pistol grips, etc. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
First off, thanks for your service. :)

I wear a Mjolnir pendant and a Hanuman pendant on silver chains. For someone leaning towards Buddhism, I have a bit of a martial streak in me. That is, I honor and revere all the representations of righteous warfare and struggle, especially if it's internal struggle... the Spartans; Hanuman; Thor; Guan yu, a Taoist deity erroneously know as the "god of war", rather, he's warrior protector of police and Buddhism; Xuan wu, another Taoist warrior deity.

Sees

Dragonslayer
First off, thanks for your service. :)

I wear a Mjolnir pendant and a Hanuman pendant on silver chains. For someone leaning towards Buddhism, I have a bit of a martial streak in me. That is, I honor and revere all the representations of righteous warfare and struggle, especially if it's internal struggle... the Spartans; Hanuman; Thor; Guan yu, a Taoist deity erroneously know as the "god of war", rather, he's warrior protector of police and Buddhism; Xuan wu, another Taoist warrior deity.

Appreciate it brother.

I always say a warrior hates war as much or more than everybody else, but does what needs to be done with a strong sense of courage, honor, duty. To take it to a spiritual level you must embody those virtues and perfect them...and definitely apply them to internal and external struggle both.

Fight against the hurtful, deceiving, cruel, oppressive with your words and actions, body and mind. Whether it's thoughts or people, inner or outer demons.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Appreciate it brother.

I always say a warrior hates war as much or more than everybody else, but does what needs to be done with a strong sense of courage, honor, duty. To take it to a spiritual level you must embody those virtues and perfect them...and definitely apply them to internal and external struggle both.

Fight against the hurtful, deceiving, cruel, oppressive with your words and actions, body and mind. Whether it's thoughts or people, inner or outer demons.

I think Bushidō is a good example of that. A blurb from Wiki in the Bushido article says it "...was also influenced by Shinto and Zen Buddhism, allowing the violent existence of the samurai to be tempered by wisdom and serenity..." The Knight's Code of Chivalry is another example. In today's world, I think a moving example of the tender side of a warrior can be found in Jeff Key's docu Semper Fi: One Marine's Journey (TV Movie 2007) - IMDb and his relationship with the Iraqi children.

There is a Taoist book called Scholar Warrior. Scholar Warrior: An Introduction to the Tao in Everyday Life: Ming-Dao Deng: 9780062502322: Amazon.com: Books I couldn't quite get into it, some books just don't ring that bell.

It should be clear by now that one of my favorite movies is Thor (2011). :D In it Odin tells young Thor and Loki that a wise king never seeks out war, but is always prepared.

EyeofOdin

The gods are great, mighty and powerful beings, with that said, they still are individuals who were swept so greatly by the death of Baldur. Baldur's story tells us that even the gods can be so overwhelmed by grief and it tells us that his death was so devastating that it even made the gods act irrationally.