• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was Adam created first?

ThisShouldMakeSense

I'd like to know if any one knows why Adam was created first. Why wasn't Eve created at the same time? Was she an afterthought? Was it so that he could enjoy some peace and quiet?? Answers please!

may

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
I'd like to know if any one knows why Adam was created first. Why wasn't Eve created at the same time? Was she an afterthought? Was it so that he could enjoy some peace and quiet?? Answers please!
not quite sure why he was first but he saw all the animals having a mate and he was lonely so then he was given one as well nice:)
"Now Jehovah God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul that was its name. So the man was calling the names of all the domestic animals and of the flying creatures of the heavens and of every wild beast of the field, but for man there was found no helper as a complement of him."—Genesis 2:19, 20

ThisShouldMakeSense

may said:
not quite sure why he was first but he saw all the animals having a mate and he was lonely so then he was given one as well nice:)
"Now Jehovah God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul that was its name. So the man was calling the names of all the domestic animals and of the flying creatures of the heavens and of every wild beast of the field, but for man there was found no helper as a complement of him."—Genesis 2:19, 20

thanks, but i know what he did, i'd like to know why he waited. was it his plan to have man alone forever but then he changed his mind when he saw all the animals having mates etc?

Merlin

thanks, but i know what he did, i'd like to know why he waited. was it his plan to have man alone forever but then he changed his mind when he saw all the animals having mates etc?
Maybe Adam wanted someone to blame when things went wrong

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gtrsgrls said:
Because if Adam wasn't made first we'd be asking "why was Eve made first?":rolleyes:
Nah - a misogynist (which i am certainly not) might answer that Adam had to be there first, to install a washing up sink for Eve..............

I think I might regret that one!:biglaugh:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Male and female were created at the same time in the first creation story in Genesis. In the second story, Ha-Adam, the human, was created first. Adam did not become male until Adam was split in two, creating male and female. Gender makes no sense until there a different gender exists to contrast it with.

Radar

may said:

Can you really feel loney if you have never been with someone else. Wouldn't you have to know what you were missing.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
michel said:
Nah - a mysoginist (which i am certainly not) might anser that Adam had to be there first, to install a washing up sink for Eve..............
you mean the first man was a fully capable plumber WITHOUT QUALIFICATION!!! oh the shame :biglaugh:

a really good question, why was adam first? well, i guess someone had to be........ :rolleyes:

well, if you read the bible literally, then i cannot give you a satisfactory answer, other than "he just was!"

but if you want my oppinion, i think that when God created the universe, he created the world, after the world stoped being a ball of malten rock, it cooled down, the vapour condensed, and the seas were created. from the sea, evolution, and man evolved millions of years later.

Adam, i believe, was the first of all mankind to discover and have a relationship with God.

and in about 10 minutes i will be asked "where is your biblical scripture to support such a view?" - quite simply, i have non, other than comparing the big bang theory and evolution to the first chapters of genesis.

its just how i see it, because from then onwards, if you read the bible literally, you have cain and abel, one kills the other, where do you go from their?

C_P

Scott1

jewscout said:
maybe because G-d wanted to go in alphabetical order?:rolleyes:
Hehe... good one.:D

For those of us who do not take the Genesis creation account as a literal "reporting" of creation, Adam being first takes on a more spiritual meaning.

As I understand it, Adam being "first" is a play on words in Hebrew between adam/man and adama/ground.........

.... and another play on words in the similar sounding Hebrew words ishsha/woman and ishah/"her man"-"her husband"

Cool stuff.... the Midrash poetry is wonderful.

Merlin

corrupt_priest said:
you mean the first man was a fully capable plumber WITHOUT QUALIFICATION!!! oh the shame
a really good question, why was adam first? well, i guess someone had to be........ :rolleyes:

well, if you read the bible literally, then i cannot give you a satisfactory answer, other than "he just was!"

but if you want my oppinion, i think that when God created the universe, he created the world, after the world stoped being a ball of malten rock, it cooled down, the vapour condensed, and the seas were created. from the sea, evolution, and man evolved millions of years later.

Adam, i believe, was the first of all mankind to discover and have a relationship with God.

and in about 10 minutes i will be asked "where is your biblical scripture to support such a view?" - quite simply, i have non, other than comparing the big bang theory and evolution to the first chapters of genesis.

its just how i see it, because from then onwards, if you read the bible literally, you have cain and abel, one kills the other, where do you go from their?

C_P
These early biblical myths were there to fill in the gap for primitive man until science came along and explained things properly.

There is no requirement to suspend logic to find God

jorylore

Good question. I was doing some research and could not really find the answer. Only that it was God's purpose from the begining to have the entire earth populated. This would have been impossible without a proper mate. For this reason I don't think that Eve was an afterthought. Rather, since her main purpose was to assist in populating the earth, maybe she wasn't needed until later. The task Adam had been assigined to name the animals he was capable of completing on his own.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
corrupt_priest said:
you mean the first man was a fully capable plumber WITHOUT QUALIFICATION!!! oh the shame :biglaugh:
Well, someone had to start the trend of doing botch jobs!

Thanks Joryglore for trying to give a sensible answer - and Lilithu.;)

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Why was Adam created first?

Cause the Bible was written by MEN and not WOMEN.

Read the Bible carefully with an eye toward mysogeny. Old Testament was
not exactly the Equal Rights Amendment. Men in a mysogonistic society
writing what later became the Bible saw themselves as being the
stronger of the sexes,physically, which is true, and extrapolated that it made sense
they were the stronger vessel, and their women were the weaker vessel<----- taken from
Genesis. While physically stronger, men are ,biologically speaking, weaker from the
standpoint of any given man's contribution to the continuation of the species.

In reality biologically speaking women are much more important to the survival of a
species than are men. If our true desire is to populate the planet, or any given area
of it, we need lots and lots of women. One male can impregnate literally hundreds
or thousands of women, while each woman is going to have a tough time having
more than one baby every year or two.

Men wrote the book of Genesis, and those that followed. Men decided that God made
them in HIS image. Since they figured God was a male, and the ones writing all this
down were males, why would they have God create a female first? After all, at that time
women were mere chattel.

I am more than a bit surprised that some of our female members did not hit on this
mysogeny angle before Idid. Tsk tsk.

B.

wmam

Why would Yahweh then take a rib from Adam to make Eve instead of just making her as He did Adam?

greatcalgarian

wmam said:
Why would Yahweh then take a rib from Adam to make Eve instead of just making her as He did Adam?
Male shauvisnism plays this part, remember bible was written by man (see previous post)? So man has to feel superior to woman, and must make woman to be a second class citizen, made from part of him to serve him.....:biglaugh:

jonny

Girls only have X chromosomes. To make a man you need an Y chromosome. If God had made Eve first he wouldn't have been able to create poor Adam. :)