• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why vegetarianism?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
So does plants for humans
Yes, I know. Hence the original point I was responding to.

Pay attention.

and no, you don't always have to cultivate grassland.
Yes, you do. You have to specifically tend to and designate that land to be grassland. It still uses resources and space.

And it's so much better than the wasteland left by a bean field.
By what metric? Obviously not in terms of growing beans.

I'm not a climate scientist but I do know from those that are that this is indeed the #1 cause of the recent global warming, especially since this effect has been known since the late 1800's.

Really, why then it was said in 70's that climate is cooling and we will soon have a new ice age?

50 Years of Failed Doomsday, Eco-pocalyptic Predictions; the So-called ‘experts’ Are 0-50 | American Enterprise Institute - AEI

It seems these climate doom warnings change like weather, no intelligent reasoning, the goal seems to be that people must pay more and give up their rights. Changing weather is an excellent excuse to justify it, because it will always change no matter what humans do.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is just prudent and fair to avoid giving reason to slaughter animals if it is within my ability to do so without too much inconvenience.

As it happens, that is the case. It took a while for me to realize that, but it happened.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Really, why then it was said in 70's that climate is cooling and we will soon have a new ice age?

50 Years of Failed Doomsday, Eco-pocalyptic Predictions; the So-called ‘experts’ Are 0-50 | American Enterprise Institute - AEI

It seems these climate doom warnings change like weather, no intelligent reasoning, the goal seems to be that people must pay more and give up their rights. Changing weather is an excellent excuse to justify it, because it will always change no matter what humans do.
From a rightwing "think tank." Why do you believe they are factual, because of the fancy name, or because they support your world view?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Seriously? Have you ever farmed or had a garden? Do you understand that most all vegetables are grown using dead animals or animal matter, or else harmful synthetics?
That includes organic.
Use of animal matter is not inherently harmful.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But, the question is, what in C is that makes it do that?

Also, it would be nice to know, why sulfur dioxide allegedly causes cooling and somehow carbon dioxide warming? I don't think there is any logical reason to believe so. But, I appreciate, if you can give some good scientific explanation what is the difference between those two.

But volcanic gases like sulfur dioxide can cause global cooling, while volcanic carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, has the potential to promote global warming.
Volcanoes Can Affect Climate | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)
That is just how geophysics work. Whether you "believe" that to be so is quite immaterial, in all honesty.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I am a "flexitarian" in that I only eat meat if it is provided or going to be wasted. Primarily, I eat a vegetarian diet.

This is based on health: I find it much easier to manage my weight and cholesterol. There is also an ethical component in that I find the way we treat animals in our system horrible. I work under the "a pig screams louder than a carrot" ethos.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Science involves on-going observations and testing; thus, the research scientists know much more now dealing with the effects of higher C02 & methane emissions and how it's affecting us.

BTW, the global cooling you mentioned was only a hypothesis at most.

It seems these climate doom warnings change like weather, no intelligent reasoning, the goal seems to be that people must pay more and give up their rights.
Hey, you can believe anything you want, but what you're posting simply isn't science nor even logical. Seems to me that you're far more into political propaganda than Truth.

fini

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yes, you do. You have to specifically tend to and designate that land to be grassland. It still uses resources and space.
There's a lot ground that can be used for cattle grazing that has little use for farming otherwise. You might have to do rotational grazing but you don't necessarily have to do any cultivation...in fact the cattle do that for you.

Science involves on-going observations and testing; thus, the research scientists know much more now dealing with the effects of higher C02 & methane emissions and how it's affecting us.

BTW, the global cooling you mentioned was only a hypothesis at most.

Unfortunately I have not seen any good, intelligent reason to think we have now something better than hypothesis.