• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why There are DIRs, Explained...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I recently became aware in private conversations that at least a few RFers are not clear as to why we have DIRs. On the chance there might be others who are just as curious about DIRs as the two people who have PMed me about it, I would like to try to explain why we have DIRs in an as easy to understand manner as possible. So here goes...

Imagine a conversation between two people (let's name them, "Steph" and "Arun") who both share a firm belief in deity. Since Steph and Arun both share a firm belief in deity, that's not what they want in this case to discuss. Instead, they want to discuss whether deity is all knowing or not.

Please further imagine that Steph and Arun decide to have this conversation in the open religious debate section. What happens? Well, in this case, every time Steph and Arun say something about deity being all knowing or not all knowing, a third person, (let's call him Sunstone, the Marauding Atheist), a person who does not believe in deity all, objects to whatever they say.

If Steph or Arun say, "Deity is all knowing", then Sunstone, the Marauding Atheist, says, "But you can't know whether deity is all knowing or not all knowing because you haven't yet established whether your deity even exists."

And if Steph or Arun say, "Deity is not all knowing, then Sunstone, the Marauding Atheist, again says the same thing: "But you can't know whether deity is all knowing or not all knowing because you haven't yet established whether your deity even exists."

Again and again, Steph and Arun try to talk about whether deity is all knowing, and again and again Sunstone drags the conversation back down to whether deity exists.

You get the idea, I hope: Steph and Arun can't have a conversation about what they want to talk about without their conversation being constantly interrupted by Sunstone. And that's not fun for Steph and Arun.

To solve this problem, RF set up DIRs (Discuss Individual Religions) as places where people who share the same basic ideas can discuss things that go beyond the basics without always being dragged back down by Sunstone, the Marauding Atheist.

Neat, eh?

And that is pretty much the single most important reason for the DIRs. There are other, usually less important reasons, but that's the big one. I hope this helps to clear up any confusion there might be about why we have DIRs. Thanks for your attention!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Very well explained Sunstone,
Already I am 6 weeks here talking freely about God without being "Sun Stoned". Just read it now. I believe I was in Sunstone's "Grace period" till now.;)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If it wasn't for DIRs and the general trend that people understand and follow the idea, I'd be long gone from this forum. If you've ever been a member of another forum where there are plenty of 'Sunstones' (as in the above example) you'll get the drift. Thanks mods, and people who dreamt this up.

tosca1

How do I become a member of a DIR? I wanted to respond to a post, but it says I don't have the privilege.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
How do I become a member of a DIR? I wanted to respond to a post, but it says I don't have the privilege.
click on your name in the upper right corner of the main page, then click on "Personal Details," Scroll down and check the boxes of the DIR's you would like to join, then scroll down further and click the "save changes" button.

Ehav4Ever

I may have missed it but how does one create a new DIR? I have been told that it would help if there was a Torath Mosheh DIR instead of posting in Orthodox Judaism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I may have missed it but how does one create a new DIR? I have been told that it would help if there was a Torath Mosheh DIR instead of posting in Orthodox Judaism.

Good question!

Only staff can create a new DIR. If you want one, you should begin a thread in Site Feedback to explain why you want one, and who all would be using it, etc.

I hope this helps.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
click on your name in the upper right corner of the main page, then click on "Personal Details," Scroll down and check the boxes of the DIR's you would like to join, then scroll down further and click the "save changes" button.

I selected the DIRs I would like to join and saved them. I still can't reply to a post I'd like to reply to, not sure what's next, do I wait for approval?

Thanks for your help

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I selected the DIRs I would like to join and saved them. I still can't reply to a post I'd like to reply to, not sure what's next, do I wait for approval?

Thanks for your help
Sometimes it takes a little while for the servers permissions to update. Give it an hour so and you should be good.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks for your help
Be aware that the dir sections are for those who are part of that belief. So if you don't consider yourself a Hindu don't select the Hindu dir, if you don't consider yourself an atheist then don't select the atheism dir and so on.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Be aware that the dir sections are for those who are part of that belief. So if you don't consider yourself a Hindu don't select the Hindu dir, if you don't consider yourself an atheist then don't select the atheism dir and so on.

Oh, okay. I chose more than one because there's one that that I feel farther away from right now and a couple other ideas I'm drawn to and thought I could ask respectful questions. I'll modify my DIR choice and find other forums for the questions. Thanks for your help!