• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Theory of Evolution is True. Part 1: What is Science?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Don't understand how "orderly" jumped to magic. Unless you are talking about that which science doesn't address... the spiritual which, iMV, is also orderly, real and knowable. (below)
The universe being "orderly" is the assumption that the laws of nature are the same for any time and any location. Many religions rest on a temporary suspension of laws of nature, a.k.a. "magic" or "miracles".
When things can change without (explainable, scientific) reason we call that "chaotic".
Thus science doesn't deal with the spiritual world but simply doesn't address it
That results from 1. Science deals only with the natural world.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
We admins are conscious? If that's anything like 'alert', I can lay that rumor to rest right here and now!
Are you even aware of what the blues do when the reds aren't around?! Harel can tell you!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I am not asking if it existed "for you" before your birth.
I am asking if it existed at all before your birth
Irrelevant. The assertion is that the universe exists independent of mind. Unless one is tweaking the assertion to mean only some minds (eg mine) then the assertion fails, imo.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Smarty pants. Extinguish all humans, so all human minds. Then, independent of mind, tell me how it can be claimed that the universe exists.
I guess you were unclear in your question.
In before someone inevitably demands that @Heyo define what he means by 'real' in his first axiom of science...

One can restate his first axiom as "The universe exists independent of our minds."
And you asked:
How can that be known?

I thought the "that" in your question referred to Sunstone explaining what I meant. By responding I made it known that he was correct.

If your "that" didn't refer to him knowing my mind, you might want to clear that up - but you also might want to look up the definition of "axiom" before you embarrass yourself.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Irrelevant. The assertion is that the universe exists independent of mind. Unless one is tweaking the assertion to mean only some minds (eg mine) then the assertion fails, imo.
What is the difference between one mind and multipe minds?
Unless you are claiming that all minds are sharing the same illusion and calling said shared illusion reality, then what is this difference you are holding onto?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The universe exists independent of our minds."

What is the difference between one mind and multipe minds?
I consider that distinction irrelevant to the assertion made above. You either remove "our minds" to make it "some minds" (which I realise is preposterous) or else the claim fails.

Unless you are claiming that all minds are sharing the same illusion and calling said shared illusion reality

No I wasn't. Not even "getting" to that stage. All I am saying is that axioms require the human mind to hold them.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@Sunstone Psshhh Harel's just jealous he's not a mod......:p
I am sometimes, until I remember that I wouldn't be able to put the really annoying people on ignore...also, I need to maintain my good-guy profile and not do underhanded forumy things. Also, I have a life outside of RF just kidding about the last one...:D:D:D

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I consider that distinction irrelevant to the assertion made above. You either remove "our minds" to make it "some minds" (which I realise is preposterous) or else the claim fails.

No I wasn't. Not even "getting" to that stage. All I am saying is that axioms require the human mind to hold them.
Soin a nutshell, you ask for something to be shown true, then refuse to even listen to it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Also, I have a life outside of RF

Life outside RF? That's a vicious rumor someone started years ago in a shameless effort to lure attractive youth off RF and into the big cities where they might fall victim to being seduced by dirty old men. I know because I was the one who started the rumor.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Life outside RF? That's a vicious rumor someone started years ago in a shameless effort to lure attractive youth off RF and into the big cities where they might fall victim to being seduced by dirty old men. I know because I was the one who started the rumor.
DON'T FALL FOR IT @Harel13! You're kinda safe with me!