• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the theory of evolution is so important

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Auto mechanics does not deal with the origin of
physical law, iron, or petroleum.

It just deals with what is.

Genetics does not deal with the origin of life.
It just deals with what is.

ToE is about, yes,how life evolves. Nothing in it
is affected one way or the other by how life originated.

I suppose your creofriends keeeeeep harping on
origin of life, because they cannot grasp that.
ToE is in all ways independent of the origin of life.

Like mechanics and the origin of mass / energy.
The interpretation I have developed for attempts at the conflation of the origin of life with the theory of evolution are based on the fact that we do not know the origin of life. If one is not known, then connecting the two could cast doubt on the latter by association. I am not saying it is a grand scheme, but that it appears to me to be one of the more significant reasons for doing so. Other reasons include a lack of understanding of science, and the particular area of science.

I favor the former explanation, since the false equivalence has been widely explained and refuted, yet we continue to see it come up. Otherwise, I would have to lower my estimation of creationist mental capacity.

A Vestigial Mote

Just sharing
If it is benign, then its nothing
But if it hurts, tell me.
And if it is sensible, then we should accept it.
It hurts my faith in humanity is what it hurts. To know that there are people out there with opinions like yours based on obvious misconceptions and downright lies. People who throw out the words "I'm no white man." and expect to be taken seriously. Being forced to accept the knowledge that people that deluded and ignorant exist is quite painful, yes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As you wish, but it is a face-palm to ask a scientist
for proof Or "facts" beyond something like "it is a fact
that this is my data."
I know. Proof is a prejudicial term and is best avoided when possible. But to understand each other one must understand the other's language.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This is an interesting video about evolution:

There is an assumption made in most schools, universities and even in the production of documentaries on nature, that all scientists are unanimous in their belief that life as we know it on earth, evolved over time from rudimentary non-life into viruses and cells that then, over eons of time, developed into the lifeforms we know today. Is this assumption correct? Does science support Evolutionary Theory?

I don't think there is much of anything that every single scientist on the planet agree on, but that doesn't really matter too much. The vast, vast majority of scientists believe the theory of evolution by natural selection is true (at least to some extent). And, science certainly supports the theory. There really has not been any evidence that contradicts the theory.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes you are right.
Science does not require proof only evidence.
There's No Such Thing As Proof In The Scientific World - There's Only Evidence

But then again, I did not say it.
These white folks did.
How do you know this? How can you tell the ethnicity of others on here that do not provide that information. What is it supposed to mean anyway? It is prejudicial bigotry that has nothing to do with the discussion.

The facts of your origin or my origin do not change my opinion of what you post.

There is a young woman on here that claims Asian origin as well, but I agree with her because she has a keen mind and is often correct. Not because of her ethnicity. Are you saying that you would disagree with me, simply because you believe I am from another ethnic group?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That is what Baha'i Faith teaches about creation? Oh evolution.
Evolution is sound science...sure whatever you say.
Tested and proven...I bet.
Both, Creation by natural methods.

Science and Religion | What Bahá’ís Believe

What Bahá’ís Believe
God and His Creation
ever-advancing-civilization-feature-img.jpg

“All men have been created to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization.” –Bahá’u’lláh

Exploring this topic
An Ever-Advancing Civilization
Science and Religion
Bahá’ís reject the notion that there is an inherent conflict between science and religion, a notion that became prevalent in intellectual discourse at a time when the very conception of each system of knowledge was far from adequate. The harmony of science and religion is one of the fundamental principles of the Bahá’í Faith, which teaches that religion, without science, soon degenerates into superstition and fanaticism, while science without religion becomes merely the instrument of crude materialism. “Religion,” according to the Bahá’í writings, “is the outer expression of the divine reality. Therefore, it must be living, vitalized, moving and progressive.”1Science is the first emanation from God toward man. All created things embody the potentiality of material perfection, but the power of intellectual investigation and scientific acquisition is a higher virtue specialized to man alone. Other beings and organisms are deprived of this potentiality and attainment.2

So far as earthly existence is concerned, many of the greatest achievements of religion have been moral in character. Through its teachings and through the examples of human lives illumined by these teachings, masses of people in all ages and lands have developed the capacity to love, to give generously, to serve others, to forgive, to trust in God, and to sacrifice for the common good. Social structures and institutional systems have been devised that translate these moral advances into the norms of social life on a vast scale. In the final analysis, the spiritual impulses set in motion by the Founders of the world’s religions—the Manifestations of God—have been the chief influence in the civilizing of human character.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá has described science as the “most noble” of all human virtues and “the discoverer of all things”.3 Science has enabled society to separate fact from conjecture. Further, scientific capabilities—of observing, of measuring, of rigorously testing ideas—have allowed humanity to construct a coherent understanding of the laws and processes governing physical reality, as well as to gain insights into human conduct and the life of society.

Taken together, science and religion provide the fundamental organizing principles by which individuals, communities, and institutions function and evolve. When the material and spiritual dimensions of the life of a community are kept in mind and due attention is given to both scientific and spiritual knowledge, the tendency to reduce human progress to the consumption of goods, services and technological packages is avoided. Scientific knowledge, to take but one simple example, helps the members of a community to analyse the physical and social implications of a given technological proposal—say, its environmental impact—and spiritual insight gives rise to moral imperatives that uphold social harmony and that ensure technology serves the common good. Together, these two sources of knowledge are essential to the liberation of individuals and communities from the traps of ignorance and passivity. They are vital to the advancement of civilization.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes you are right.
Science does not require proof only evidence.
There's No Such Thing As Proof In The Scientific World - There's Only Evidence

But then again, I did not say it.
These white folks did.

White folks? What a racist abusive concept.

There is also falsification of theories and hypothesis based on the objective verifiable evidence. That is how airplanes, fly and computers work, and the science of abiogenesis and evolution determined by the consistent predictable scientific methods..

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't think there is much of anything that every single scientist on the planet agree on, but that doesn't really matter too much. The vast, vast majority of scientists believe the theory of evolution by natural selection is true (at least to some extent). And, science certainly supports the theory. There really has not been any evidence that contradicts the theory.

So it is said, over and over, but then, the creos
will say, well, whatabout paluxy man tracks. etc.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What Bahá’ís Believe
God and His Creation
ever-advancing-civilization-feature-img.jpg

“All men have been created to carry forward an ever-advancing civilization.” –Bahá’u’lláh

So, men (and women) have been created. I thought they were the product of unguided processes. You know, something called evolution by natural selection. What you are proposing here is a form of creationism.

Do you agree that men (and women), like all other extant species, are the product of unguided natural processes? If not, how can you say Bahahullah belief is compatible, in any way or form, with modern science?

Ciao

- viole

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So, men (and women) have been created. I thought they were the product of unguided processes. You know, something called evolution by natural selection. What you are proposing here is a form of creationism.

Do you agree that men (and women), like all other extant species, are the product of unguided natural processes? If not, how can you say Bahahullah belief is compatible, in any way or form, with modern science?

Ciao

- viole

The concepts of whether the nature of our physical existence is guided or unquided are theological/Philosophical assumption.

The Baha'i Faith believes in guided Creation by natural processes sometimes referred to as Theistic Evolution (TE)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The Baha'i Faith believes in guided Creation by natural processes sometimes referred to as Theistic Evolution (TE)

Which would entail, among others, that that asteroid which provided the coup-de-grace to the dinos, after many million years, so that a rat looking like creature could get out of its stinking hole and eventually create a civilization....Has been fine tuned by God?

Ciao

- viole

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Which would entail, among others, that that asteroid which provided the coup-de-grace to the dinos, after many million years, so that a rat looking like creature could get out of its stinking hole and eventually create a civilization....Has been fine tuned by God?

Ciao

- viole

No comment on fine tuning, just the natural processes are the methods of Creation with no second guessing natural events. Extinction throughout the history of earth are caused by many natural factors if not one than another, and repeated large meteorite impacts that cause extinctions are a natural part of the history of the earth..

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I doubt it.
But I will take your word for it.
I used to teach a comparative religions course whereas we went to services in other denominations and religions, and whereas I also used to bring in speakers from various denominations, including the CoC

Also my wife and I had an incident whereas our 10 year old (roughly) daughter was going on a "Joy Bus" to a local CoC, and one day after going there she came home crying because she was told that she wasn't baptized, and when she told them that she was, they continued to say that she wasn't. I blew my stack on that because what kind of decent person would confront a 10 year old in that way?

So, the church.sent out a representative and she immediately turned on the hard sell. However, what she didn't know is that I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church and knew the positions and arguments since I had thoughts about going into the ministry. And because I had dated a Catholic woman when doing my undergrad work, I had taken two Catholic theology classes to boot so I knew the counter argument quite well. Needless to say, she didn't win us over-- not even close. And the parents of other girl who went to that church with our daughter pulled her out after that incident as well.

You are right.
There were more reasons than that.
And that's fine as I don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach-- "different strokes for different folks". .