• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Protests in France?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes they are.
They are not. The middle class have a comfortable wage. They are not labourers like working class people are. Working classes are the meat and potatoes backbone of the country. The middle classes can afford to pay a mortgage; working classes can barely afford school shoes for their kids.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Feh. This reminds me a lot of the 2013 protests in Brazil, which did not even have a clear goal to speak of.

If this is what passes for a serious crisis in France, they would be scared stiff living in Brazil.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Feh. This reminds me a lot of the 2013 protests in Brazil, which did not even have a clear goal to speak of.

If this is what passes for a serious crisis in France, they would be scared stiff living in Brazil.
The French are well-known to protest over anything. It's almost cultural at this point.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To be fair, back when I lived in the mishappen place, it was almost routine to see manifestations at the Eixo Monumenal and Praça dos Três Poderes as well.

We rarely even bothered to try and learn what was being said. I even participated myself once or twice, but it was very much an empty gesture. Brazil's political system is a joke.

Cooky

Veteran Member
They are not. The middle class have a comfortable wage. They are not labourers like working class people are. Working classes are the meat and potatoes backbone of the country. The middle classes can afford to pay a mortgage; working classes can barely afford school shoes for their kids.

You're wrong, I'm sorry. The working class is included in the middle class. For instance, I am an electrical worker (lineman), I do back breaking physical labor. I am middle class.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You're wrong, I'm sorry. The working class is included in the middle class. For instance, I am an electrical worker (lineman), I do back breaking physical labor. I am middle class.
table-5666b06f9e0c4.png

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I made $220,000. last year. I have not made less than $200,000. In the last ten years. I made about 2 million doing manual labor in the last 10 years.

...So what class am I, being a blue collar worker?
That makes you a middle class person. Wages in the US for manual work obviously don't mirror British ones. You should be thankful. The class system is based almost entirely on earnings, but generally the working class are bricklayers, clerks and so on; the middle class not so much.

I'd love to know how you earn that much doing whatever you do.

Cooky

Veteran Member
That makes you a middle class person. Wages in the US for manual work obviously don't mirror British ones. You should be thankful. The class system is based almost entirely on earnings, but generally the working class are bricklayers, clerks and so on; the middle class not so much.

I'd love to know how you earn that much doing whatever you do.

I build high voltage power lines for a living. A very dangerous job, one of the top ten most dangerous jobs in the world, but I am indeed thankful. My wife, even more so I assume.

...But my education level is merely "certificate of achievement".

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I build high voltage power lines for a living. A very dangerous job, one of the top ten most dangerous jobs in the world, but I am indeed thankful. My wife, even more so I assume.

...But my education level is merely "certificate of achievement".
I imagine the inherent danger has a lot to do with it. There are special category jobs, such as military clerks, who would ordinarily be working class, but being military the wage is higher because of the inherent danger that comes with being in the forces.

Cooky

Veteran Member
...But what confuses me, is that I am a worker. A very hard worker. So why I am not considered "working class", IDK.

shmogie

The closest I’ve found to actual journalism on this story is from the Guardian. It would appear that - once again - it gets back to oligarchs:

'I understand why they are angry': readers on France's gilets jaunes
Macron, being the nice little liberal toady of the EU that he is, believes that so called global warming will destroy the earth, maybe next Thursday.

What a nifty way to show his support for the Paris accords, tax fuel to incentivise his people to have a smaller " carbon footprint". They will have to drive less and will have to drive even tinier cars, and the government rakes in more money.

Surely the people will support this win/win situation.

OOPS ! Apparently the French people don't give a rats rear about the Paris accords when it effects their wallets and livelihoods.

With an approval rating around 25% before the protests began, I can only say, adieu monsieur Macron.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Its deeper than just putting a green tax on fuel, hence the reason the protests are still going on after the government capitulated (or at least postponed it).

The protests are cross party, far left standing with far right and those in between,. Each have different gripes .

A common thread is Macrons tax reforms. He is trying to balance his tax reforms using robin hood tactics. For example, on the one hand, the fuel tax increase will hit the less well off, on the other hand a reduction in tax on money shipped out of the country benefits bankers and other financial movers and shakers.

He is also trying to shake Ameli, the french health service and labour laws, a fiercely protected right in france.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Macron, being the nice little liberal toady of the EU that he is, believes that so called global warming will destroy the earth, maybe next Thursday.

What a nifty way to show his support for the Paris accords, tax fuel to incentivise his people to have a smaller " carbon footprint". They will have to drive less and will have to drive even tinier cars, and the government rakes in more money.

Surely the people will support this win/win situation.

OOPS ! Apparently the French people don't give a rats rear about the Paris accords when it effects their wallets and livelihoods.

With an approval rating around 25% before the protests began, I can only say, adieu monsieur Macron.

This is as much about the EU as trump had respect for women. Isnt sarcasm fun?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why do the elites believe that little people are just dying to be taxed more and more in order to transition to Utopia?

Lesson: Never disturb a nest of yellow jackets.
I remember the idiotic slogan that was being pushed on us that Americans just love to pay taxes. They probably figured if they said it long enough , people would actually start believing it. Needless to say it didn't work out too well. It's refreshing the See France feeling the same way.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I remember the idiotic slogan that was being pushed on us that Americans just love to pay taxes. They probably figured if they said it long enough , people would actually start believing it. Needless to say it didn't work out too well. It's refreshing the See France feeling the same way.
When was that a slogan? By whom?