• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the odd late in coming proposal by Kerry for Israel to be split into two states?

whirlingmerc

And is it really a good idea, since carving out the west bank leaves Israel in a much more
difficult to defend shape.

'The future is NOW in jeopardy' says Kerry... so we have to act now.
If that's really how Obama, Kerry, Hillary .... felt... why wait till there are days left in his admin to say it? Or is it a lack of accountability of the DNC issue

Kerry defends US role in UN's Israel censure amid backlash
"The State Department’s own website reflects that Kerry was scheduled for a meeting with the Palestinian official at the State Department on Dec. 12, around the time of the reported discussions. The official website, however, offers no details on what was discussed."

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And is it really a good idea, sine carving out the west bank leaves Israel in a much more
Here's one reason I can think of.
Republicans in Congress have been determined to sabotage anything positive coming out of the Obama White House for years.
Anything. They wouldn't even give a Republican SCOTUS nominee a hearing because Obama nominated Merrick Garland and therefore they just flat out said No, it doesn't matter how qualified Garland is we won't consider him.
So, of course, if the Obama administration thinks this is a good idea they wouldn't bring it up earlier.
Tom

whirlingmerc

Who said it's odd or late? Based on what precedence?

I say so

But lets look at the map of Israel and the West Bank
israelzoom.gif

How would you defend it?
It seems not fait to Jewish voters to keep Obama's intentions of pushing hard for this until post elections and post accountability ... am I wrong?

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I say so

israelzoom.gif

How would you defend it?
It seems not fait to Jewish voters to keep Obama's intentions of pushing hard for this until post elections and post accountability ... am I wrong?
Most Jewish voters have less than nice things to say about Israel. The biggest Israeli support group in the US are the fundamentalist Christians.

whirlingmerc

I do like Netanyahu but consider myself conservative reformed orthodox Christian.... fundamentalist? not all that
precise a term but ... ok...

Clearly Kerry is out# (outnumbered)

Clearly Churck Shumer and Deb Wasserman Shultz are very upset about this Obama strategy
that should tell you something

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
And is it really a good idea, since carving out the west bank leaves Israel in a much more

If that's really how Obama, Kerry, Hillary .... felt... why wait till there are days left in his admin to say it? Or is it a lack of accountability of the DNC issue

"The State Department’s own website reflects that Kerry was scheduled for a meeting with the Palestinian official at the State Department on Dec. 12, around the time of the reported discussions. The official website, however, offers no details on what was discussed."

The desire for a two state solution has always been there, and this is not recent.

That said, the current speech is a political move to try to sway more Americans to this before they leave office. Trump's appointee has a different view, and they want some sway in how this goes.

I have no religious beliefs to color my opinion of Israel. They're acting the way they are because much of their foreign policy is predicated on their own belief as God's chosen people.

They are wrong. Since there is no God, they are terribly mistaken, and their willingness to displace others for their own explanation has no religious justification.

That is your concern right?

whirlingmerc

Nope. My main concern is safety, security, treating people equitably and fairly.
'Chosen' is an overloaded concept and I see the redeemed as chosen but I don't think that's what you mean. Right?

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
We probably have all heard the pro's and con's for the "Land for Peace" ideas within Israel. However with the new action by the UN we will never know if it would have worked or not. This is the major issue I see with the actions of the UN

Thanda

I do like Netanyahu but consider myself conservative reformed orthodox Christian.... fundamentalist? not all that
precise a term but ... ok...

Clearly Kerry is out# (outnumbered)

Clearly Churck Shumer and Deb Wasserman Shultz are very upset about this Obama strategy
that should tell you something

What rules exactly does the gentle wish to be changed?

Kuzcotopia

We probably have all heard the pro's and con's for the "Land for Peace" ideas within Israel. However with the new action by the UN we will never know if it would have worked or not. This is the major issue I see with the actions of the UN

Why do you think the UN acted
As it did? What should the UN have done differently?

Obviously Israel doesn't like it. What do they find unjust about the ruling? Why do you agree with Israel?

I love you.

Thanda

I think John Kerry makes a good point. If Israel refuses the two-state solution then they would have to recognize Palestinians as equal citizens. And since the Arabs are soon project to outnumber the Jews Israel would cease to be a Jewish state.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think John Kerry makes a good point. If Israel refuses the two-state solution then they would have to recognize Palestinians as equal citizens. And since the Arabs are soon project to outnumber the Jews Israel would cease to be a Jewish state.
And that is a VERY important point.

Kuzcotopia

And that means Israel needs to start building schools, hospitals and providing basic services to palestinians.

Current track record on number of service buildings Israel has currently provided for those people: 0.

whirlingmerc

Although allot of money went to tunnels that was meant for schools, hospitals, things of benefits... it was an awful lot of resources to divert to tunnels

As far as Israel, I think God expects then to be a light to the nations and a good example. So the issue of chosen is chosen to put some aspects of God on display... mercy, justice, goodness... and in a larger sense I think the church is meant to do that as well on a grand scale. Israel and the church must treat people with compassion, mercy and justice.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I say so

israelzoom.gif

How would you defend it?
You say so? That doesn't count. It's your information sources. But you all repeat the same things. Someone teaches you.

Tumah

Veteran Member

Tell me with a slide show.

No really, don't.