• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the NT is Historically and Theologically not acceptable for Torath Mosheh Jews

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe in the oral tradition wherever it upholds our tri-unified Divine One and wherever it points, as it so frequently does, to NT truth and Rebbe Melekh HaMoshiach Abba Tzaddik Yeshua, May He Be Praised Forever!

Thanks for asking.
So you're one of those people who say the Talmud is wrong, until they figure out how to twist one of the passages to """prove""" Jesus and then suddenly "oh, how come you don't believe in jesus? it even says so in the talmud bla bla bla".
Right, gotcha.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Harel13

Harel13 said : "Thus, you agree that characterizing the rumors as Jewish is irrelevant, because it casts a tone that makes it seem as though they are wrong simply because they are Jewish"

I called the rumors "Jewish" because a Jew referred me to a blog written by a Jew who tells us the rumors are Jewish. The rumors are not muslim rumors, they are not Christian rumors, and they are no Athiest rumors. They are Jewish rumors presented in an attempt to support a Jewish Claim. They are neither wrong nor right because they are Jewish.

Harel13 said : "As I said, your description of the rumors turns your view of them into ad hominems. I recommend not doing that, in order for people to take your criticism seriously. But your call, really.

An Ad Hominem, by definition is an attack which is "directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining."

My criticism was against the concept that a mere "rumor" and "lost books" could somehow serve as "investigation" and "verification" that a bible created in the medieval ages by a religious movement was inerrant and was the actual word of God to Moses.

I do not think my criticisms were “ad hominems”.

I criticized the authors admitted departure “from the standard academic method” and instead simply assumes the text is correct unless one can prove it isn’t.

I criticized the approach to investigation where the author admits : “In addition to this, we will also depart from academics in the following. We will assume that, absent any evidence to the contrary, the text that is agreed upon by the Jewish community - the textus receptus that is claimed to be the Masoretic Text - is correct” (G. Student)

I said “This is NOT a “verification” that the text is correct, but instead the author defines tradition as the criteria for acceptance. The paper admits there are many variations and mistakes in the Torah Scrolls but that no one can prove the Masoretic version is the incorrect one so it is to be accepted.

I am not trying to attack Jews themselves, but rather the claim that one can depart from proven standards and then simply assume something is correct if it can’t be proven to be incorrect. This approach doesn’t verify the text is correct nor that the text is the word of God.

I criticized the tendency of CONFLATING “MYTHS” AND “TRADITIONS” WITH ACTUAL “HISTORY”

My example was when the author quoted : “One can only imagine the awe the king felt when he held and read from the Torah written by Moshe on the last day of his life.”
My comment was “Such assumptions are not historical, but they are merely tradition.”

It is not an ad hominem to criticize the assumption itself.

I criticized the concept of offering traditions instead of history and not the person : I said :
“Offering such incomplete and dubious traditions instead of actual history negates the blogs “information” as verification of your claim that any of these four versions OR the 5th created by the Rabbinic movement in the Medieval times are the words given to Moses and are correct..

The “history” presented here is full of holes and absent data and absent time periods and lacks facts and lacks a chain of events that creates credible history for a single text.”

I did not attack the author, but his methods and the logic and rationale of his conclusions.

When I said : ‘”the author says : “What happened to this Torah of Moshe is unclear, although there are rumors of it resurfacing later in history. “”
Do YOU think “rumors of it resurfacing” are evidential and “verifying” of anything other than a tradition?

I simply think the “investigation” the author is engaging in is very, very flawed when one us using this type of approach to “verification”.

I criticized the illogical conclusions. For example, he tells us “What happened to this Torah of Moshe is unclear…” and he tells us the books were lost but then he says the lost text “has played a special role in history.” Without telling the readers how lost books could play a further role in history. He says “Some claim that it remained until medieval times. “
When I said : “Some claim it remained” is hardly history, or “investigation’ or “verification”. I am criticizing the logic and rationale of the “investigation” and “verification”, not so much the person engaging in this flawed process.

I did point out the various IRRATIONAL AND ILLOGICAL TEXTUAL THEORIES

And I did point out the “very unusual, non-historical assumptions confirming his initial admission that he is departing from standard academics in his approach to his claims and simply clinging to tradition instead.”

In doing this, it is the departing from “standard academics” and the use of “tradition” and “rumors” that I think are the greatest problem to calling this an “investigation” or a “verification”.

He tells us that there are MANY MISTAKES IN THE VARIOUS VERSIONS OF JEWISH TORAHS

but he then leaves out the process of how it is possible to create an inerrant text that is the actual words of God to Moses FROM errant and flawed texts.

The author tells us that THE JEWISH HISTORICAL TEXTS THEMSELVES DISAGREE WITH THE BIBLE RABBINIC JUDAISM CREATED (MASORETIC)

The author points out that the Talmud and Midrash have many quotes from texts that are different than the Masoretic text. The blogger admits : “Frequently, these commentators even discuss the merits of one version over another. This all is not very surprising because these texts represent what is, after all, an oral tradition. However, the contrast between the wide-ranging textual variants in the Talmud and the few variants in the bible is striking. “

The problem with such lapses in logic is that The author admits mistakes in the current Torah, he goes on to point out : "Who can say, the Rama implied, that the new Torah that presumably matches the textus receptus is more correct than the current Torah being used?"

The author gets points for honesty, but loses points regarding the logic of how such admissions do not undermine the claims to “verification” rather than help such claims. The logic lacks. For example, if the original text is unknown,”how can the Jews prove and correct mistakes unless one knows what the original said? Thus, by default, the bible created by the Rabbinic movement / Masoretes can never be proven in error even when it is in error?”

My point was that, given this sort of information, the blog is not “verification” of the Masoretic version, but instead it is evidence that The Masorah is not really "investigated" for actual conflicts in a authentic, rational way that can verify the text.

In all respect Harel13, tead this blog and tell me if I am wrong.

Even the blogger admits the narrowing of his investigation. For example, The author admits : "We shall only address the Masora in terms of orthography - the letters in the Bible. There are early talmudic sources regarding a tradition on the letters of the bible."

How does a simple look at the letters in the texts examine other types of actual conflicts in text? This sort of avoidance of the real issues does NOT confirm the bible created by the rabbinic movement is the correct text and is the same text given to Moses.

The author uses bizarre statements to try to create and “verify” a religious text. He says : “If we use the majority rule to resolve the differences within the Masora and among the reliable codices that we have, we can reconstruct the original Bible and the original Masora.

To say, in essence, that “most of the extant versions say this” is somehow the way to determine what Moses was given and what is correct and true is absolutely bizarre. It does nothing to confirm and verify the resulting new version of the text which is created by that rule of majority.

Using this sort of data as representative of “investigation” and “verification” that a biblical text created by a religious movement in the medieval ages is both inerrant (correct) and is the actual words of God to Moses is completely inadequate to support the claim of valid “investigation” and “verification” of such a theoretical text.

My intent is NOT to simply be argumentative or to offend.
I think the modern Jews, Christians, Muslims and historians owe a great deal to the early Jewish historians who collated and kept these records for our benefit.
However, I think the criticisms of this bloggers presentation was accurate and the blog does not represent a thorough "investigation" and certainly doesn't confirm the Masoretic is inerrant nor that it is the actual words of God to Moses.

You can certainly take a look at this blog and we can discuss it if you think any of my points were inaccurate.

In any case, I hope your spiritual journey in life is wonderful and insightful.

Clear
σιφιδρειω

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
@Clear, in-between your multi-colored posts and seeming difficulty in stating which links you are referring to, I've gathered that you are greatly bothered by the fact that classical/traditional/Torat Moshe/Orthodox Jews hold beliefs that are contrary to those widely-held by academia.

Perhaps I can put your troubles to rest by telling you that you have now merited to understand the point of @Ehav4Ever's thread, and that is: As we Jews of the sort I mentioned above have always had these standards, which are vastly different from your standards, and do not intend to give them up any time soon, for they are what have kept us alive and kicking for many thousands of years now, perhaps it would be best for all of us if you leave us to our standards, and leave us, our texts and our traditions alone, and focus on your texts and traditions, namely, the NT and various Christian traditions.

2ndpillar

As stated in the OP, Christians have different standards and thus they should hold by what they think is the truth of their theologies and texts IF......drum roll.....they have investigated them and verified them to be the truth and not a lie since lies can be in Greek, Latin, and English also.

Apparently, according to Jeremiah 8:8, the scribes of the Jews, whose writings are found in the different Talmuds, can make the Law into a lie, written in the language of the Jewish scribes, assumingly that being Hebrew. Apparently the wives of the "scribes" and their "fields" will be given to others (Jeremiah 8:10). Being the judgment of God is coming to Jacob as well as the nations (Jeremiah 30:10-11) in what is called "in those days", or the "day of the Lord" (Joel 2:31-3:1), while there will be those who escape from Zion and Jerusalem, there remains the many who will not, such that as Israel is as the sands of the sea, their number will be considerably diminished (Isaiah 10:22), of which Judah, the Jews, are a part of Jacob/Israel. I think it would be well to reconsider all your previous presumptions based on the fact that error leads to calamity, not only for the scribes, but for their families.

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @Harel13

Harel13 said : @Clear, in-between your multi-colored posts and seeming difficulty in stating which links you are referring to, I've gathered that you are greatly bothered by the fact that classical/traditional/Torat Moshe/Orthodox Jews hold beliefs that are contrary to those widely-held by academia.

RABBINIC JUDAISM IS FREE TO HOLD TO ANY VIEWS THEY WISH. BUT THEY MUST EXPECT FANTASTIC AND INACCURATE CLAIMS WILL BE SCRUTINIZED
You are confused.
My criticism regards the inaccurate claim that and lack of verification for the Masoretic bible as being inerrant and as being the actual words of God to Moses.

As I explained, holding to a personal article of faith is not bothersome whether it is correct or not and I honestly honor those who honor God. That is a good thing to me, as it represnets a sign of someone who is attempting to be a good person.

And it does not bother me that the claim that a bible that was created in the medieval time by a Jewish movement is inerrant and the actual words of God to Moses has been “investigated” and “verified” is false. It was such a fantastic claim that it did not have much chance of being correct.

The link I am referring to, and from which I took my cut and pasted examples, and which I encourage any reader to examine is : Torat Emet - Textual Criticism Of The Torah

Harel13 said : “As we Jews of the sort I mentioned above have always had these standards, which are vastly different from your standards, and do not intend to give them up any time soon, for they are what have kept us alive and kicking for many thousands of years now, perhaps it would be best for all of us if you leave us to our standards, and leave us, our texts and our traditions alone, and focus on your texts and traditions, namely, the NT and various Christian traditions.”

You do not seem to understand. The Jewish movement that became the Rabbinic Movement is simply one movement within the Abrahamic religion and this specific schism does not own the texts and traditions of the original religion. The Old Testament ARE Christian traditions as well though they may interpret them differently.

The type of Judaism that accepted the Messiah Jesus and became known as Christianity is another branch of the same Ur-religion that existed from the very beginning and this Messianic religion has as much claim to the earliest texts and traditions as your schism does. Moses is every much a prophet to the Messianics as he is to the rabbinics.

The Rabbinic movement abandoned some of their early textual traditions while many of the earliest Christians retained them. The Rabbinic movement is certainly welcome to return to them and share these traditions. They are as much early Jewish traditions as they are Christian and the Christians do not "own them".

While you might feel that our two schisms should not share traditions and knowledge, that it not the way I feel. I do not personally feel that the Jews should leave Christian traditions alone, but you are welcome to study them and to study the traditions your schism prohibited and those you rejected. Such traditions are part of our shared history and provide insight and understanding as to how religions evolved into what they are nowadays. I also encourage Messianics to study the earliest Jewish traditions so as to understand what early Judaism was like and how it's schizms evolved as they did.

In any case Harel13, I hope your own spiritual journey is insightful and wonderful.

Clear
σιφυφυνεω

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

Apparently, according to Jeremiah 8:8, the scribes of the Jews, whose writings are found in the different Talmuds, can make the Law into a lie, written in the language of the Jewish scribes, assumingly that being Hebrew. Apparently the wives of the "scribes" and their "fields" will be given to others (Jeremiah 8:10). Being the judgment of God is coming to Jacob as well as the nations (Jeremiah 30:10-11) in what is called "in those days", or the "day of the Lord" (Joel 2:31-3:1), while there will be those who escape from Zion and Jerusalem, there remains the many who will not, such that as Israel is as the sands of the sea, their number will be considerably diminished (Isaiah 10:22), of which Judah, the Jews, are a part of Jacob/Israel. I think it would be well to reconsider all your previous presumptions based on the fact that error leads to calamity, not only for the scribes, but for their families.

Greetings,

Actually, your comment has a few very obvious points to it that actually support the OP. Let’s first review them before I give you a very detailed response
  1. If your assessment of Jeremiah 8:8 is to be believed you would have to prove it based on reading Jeremiah chapters 1-8.
    • I.e. it is interestingly convenient that you pick one verse from one particular chapter w/o any context from previous chapters and none from the following chapters.
  2. You claim that according to Jeremiah 8:8 a statement is made about “scribes of the Jews” and that the writings of these “scribes of the Jews” is found in the different Talmuds.
    • Elephant in the room. Please quote to me from the oldest text of Jeremiah where the text states that the Jewish scribes of Jeremiah’s time had statements found in different Talmuds.
    • Please note that there was no Talmud during Jeremiah’s time.
    • Please also note that the text does not say, Jewish scribes, as you claim but instead is directed governmental scribes of Yehudah. (Proven by chapter 8 verse 1)
    • Further, it never claims that said scribes were in charge of copying Torah texts.
  3. How did Jeremiah define a “Jewish scribe” according to your Bible?
  4. Also, according to the book of Nechamya - Ezra was a Jewish scribe (סופר) and so was the Kohen Tzadoq of that time. Are you including them in that assessment?
  5. There is an even bigger point of – drum roll – who wrote Jeremiah, in what language, and who transmitted it after the time of Jeremiah? Don’t say Jewish scribes, don’t say Jewish scribes!
  6. After Jeremiah’s time who maintained his writings? What evidence do you have that they didn’t change Jeremiah 8:8 to make themselves look bad?
  7. Can you please provide your comments on Jeremiah 8:1?
    • Be careful how you answer the above because Yirmeyahu 8:1 explains who the audience of chapter 8 is. Hint hint – the ruling class of the time and not the average Israeli/Jew.
  8. What evidence do you have that Jeremiah was really the name of the author of the text you quote? Are you saying that more than 2,200 years ago there was an Israeli whose name was literally Jeremiah? Or is it possible his name was something else?
    • Also, why would you use text where English translotors (scribes) changed his name to Jeremiah instead of using what his parents called him, what Hashem called, and what he called himself - i.e. Yirmeyahu (ירמיהו)?
  9. Bigger elephant in the room. What evidence do you have that your “English translation” of Jeremiah is representative of what the “Israeli/Jew” Yirmeyahu wrote?
    • Did you translate your English from Jeremiah’s original or did someone else translate it for you? Maybe an English scribe?
  10. Does your assessment of “Jewish scribes” include Jeremiah and all the other Jewish prophets whose writings are found in the Hebrew Tanakh?
    • Yirmeyahu also had his own scrolls of the Torah.
    • In fact, Yirmeyahu is the source of how the Torah scrolls of his time were taken into Yemen.
    • Also, Yirmeyahu is also the source of how Torath Mosheh was preserved into the modern era, unless you are saying that Jeremiah 8:8 from your English bible was meant to include Jeremiah and even other prophets.
    • In case you don’t know what I mean, all Torah scrolls found in Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, and Teimani Jewish communities today are the result of Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah), his Beith Din, Yirmeyahu’s (Jeremiah’s) student Barukh ben-Neriyh, and Ezra who as student of Barukh ben-Neriyah.
  11. Also, about 100 years before Jeremiah there was a Jewish colony in Southern Arabia from the time of Solomon that did not come to the land Israel. Can you provide evidence that Jeremiah was also talking about them?
My next comment will be of a bomb shell for you in how your comment really proves my OP.

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

Apparently, according to Jeremiah 8:8, the scribes of the Jews, whose writings are found in the different Talmuds, can make the Law into a lie, written in the language of the Jewish scribes, assumingly that being Hebrew. I think it would be well to reconsider all your previous presumptions based on the fact that error leads to calamity, not only for the scribes, but for their families.

Greetings 2ndpillar,

I want to thank you for making this comment for a second reason since without knowing it you have proven the OP to be valid.

Consider the following.

If one is to accept that your comments are correct that ALL Jews from the time of Jeremiah to the present have a) not correctly kept the Torah given at Mount Sinai and b) have not correctly transcribed the written text of the Torah then you have to accept that Jesus was not a leader of Jews, not a king of Jews, and also was not a Davidic descendent BUT you would also have accept that he sinned big time, if he even existed.

What I mean is that the NT gospel authors claim that Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both). The author of Matthew 23:1-3 makes this clear when he claims that Jesus said the following.

upload_2021-4-11_10-44-45.png

Further, the NT gospel author of John claimed that Jesus told the Samaritan woman that the Jews had things correct, Tanakh wise and in general, as shown below.

upload_2021-4-11_10-50-7.png

So, IF what you are claiming were true it would have been a sin for Jesus to not have:
  1. Written at least 14 correct versions of the Torah.
    • In order to outdo Mosheh ben-Amram, Rabban of all of Am Yisrael who keep Torath Mosheh, who transcribed 13 before he passed.
  2. Jesus would have had to have passed out said correct versions of the Torah to his students and followers.
  3. Jesus would have had to have given a exposition on all 613 mitzvoth of the Torah he wrote.
  4. Jesus would have had to have given instructions to his followers on how to survive and keep the texts he wrote himself around for future Jewish generations.
But we all know that the NT gopsel authors made it clear that during Jesus's time and after Torath Mosheh was being kept in and outside of the land of Israel by Torath Mosheh Jews of that generation. Further, modern Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jews are descendents of the Israelis/Jews who followed the instructions of Mosheh ben-Amram and also Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah) from those generations.

Thus, if, as you claim, Jesus lived during a time when the written Torah had been incorrectly preserved and he himself did not write a correct version and pass it around then he committed a sin according to the Torah in Waiyigra 19 as stated below.

upload_2021-4-11_10-58-12.png

upload_2021-4-11_11-1-5.png

Thus, your comments supports the OP and you may not have realized it. Thanks.

Last edited:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So you subscribe to the oral law and its interpretations? I had no idea. That's fantastic!

In other words, I gave you what you claimed didn't exist and you have no response to all the verses I presented. Got it.

He also gave us non-blood atonement. Take it up with him.

Prove here that non-blood atonement covers all/any kind of sin. Use Tanakh passages only:

1)

2)

3)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Hi @BilliardsBall

I got busy and forgot to comment on something you said many posts ago.
You said something to the effect that much of the New Testament is commentary on the Tanakh.

The concept of Christianity as a type of Judaism (just as Rabbinic Judaism is a type of Judaism) as Ignatius also pointed out anciently, is an interesting viewpoint.
That is, Christianity as a type of Judaism that accepted the Messiah versus Rabbinic Judaism as a type of Judaism that did not accept the Messiah.

Your comment seemed to run along similar lines and was thought provoking and insightful.

Clear
εισιειτζω

That is kind, thank you.

I feel like Rome and then cults that followed worked hard and fast to "de-Judaize" worship and scripture interpretation, since the earliest days.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So you're one of those people who say the Talmud is wrong, until they figure out how to twist one of the passages to """prove""" Jesus and then suddenly "oh, how come you don't believe in jesus? it even says so in the talmud bla bla bla".
Right, gotcha.

Huh? The Talmud has a lot to say, most of it nonsense and self-contradictory, a very small portion or two of it about Jesus Christ. Praise God, truth gets in, even inside Talmud.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Huh? The Talmud has a lot to say, most of it nonsense and self-contradictory, a very small portion or two of it about Jesus Christ. Praise God, truth gets in, even inside Talmud.
So that's a "yes" then. Or were you referring to a secret recording of Oral Tradition I'm unaware of? Some midrashic compilation from the Nazarene Genizah?

rosends

Prove here that non-blood atonement covers all/any kind of sin. Use Tanakh passages only:

1)

2)

3)
1) Lev 5:11-13 (flour, no blood)
And if his means do not suffice for two turtledoves or two pigeons, he shall
bring as his offering for that of which he is guilty a tenth of an ephah of choice flour for a sin offering
; he shall not add oil to it or lay frankincense on it, for it is a sin offering.

He shall bring it to the priest, and the priest shall scoop out of it a handful as a token portion of it and turn it into smoke on the altar, with the LORD’s offerings by fire; it is a sin offering.

Thus the priest shall make expiation on his behalf for whichever of these sins he is guilty, and he shall be forgiven. It shall belong to the priest, like the meal offering.

2) Num 17:12 (incense, no blood)
Aaron took it, as Moses had ordered, and ran to the midst of the congregation, where the plague had begun among the people. He put on the incense and made expiation for the people;

3) Numbers 31:50 (gold, no blood)
So we have brought as an offering to the LORD such articles of gold as each of us came upon: armlets, bracelets, signet rings, earrings, and pendants, that expiation may be made for our persons before the LORD.”

For extra credit, here's #4
Exodus 30:15 (coin, not blood)
the rich shall not pay more and the poor shall not pay less than half a shekel when giving the LORD’s offering as expiation for your persons

I wasn't sure that you knew the word "expiation" so I linked to a definition. Here is a little more: ATONEMENT | Definition of ATONEMENT by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of ATONEMENT

-----------
there is also Lev 8:34 which indicates that boiling meat and eating bread brings expiation, Lev 14:29 which has the smearing of oil as expiation, 16:10 which says that simply sending a goat into the wilderness expiates, 23:28 which indicates that the existence of a day does the job automatically.

Last edited:

Clear

Premium Member
Hi @2ndpillar and @Ehav4Ever

I don't want to interrupt the discussion you two are having other than to make a single point regarding the use of the New Testament text to claim that it supports the O.P.

Ehav4ever said : “What I mean is that the NT gospel authors claim that Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both). The author of Matthew 23:1-3 makes this clear when he claims that Jesus said the following.”

"The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses seat, so practice and observe what they say, but not what they do; for they preach but do not practice. They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger, ....... Matthew 23 : 1 -

This tendency to find things in a text that are not there is a strange pattern.
This comment by the Messiah makes no reference to the text of the torah and the Messiahs comments aree in the context of his criticisms of their many hypocrisies and their breaking of the very moral rules they themselves believe in.

It is obviously untrue that the Messiah “supported” the Pharisees and Scribes.

Speaking of the commandments he tells the people that the Pharisees and Scribes did speak of doing righteousness but did not do it themselves. The Messiah warns the people NOT to be like the Pharisees and Scribes who bind (extra) laws and burdens on others but do not even try to do them themselves, He spoke of the changes they had place on religion where it had had evolved into a religion of self congratulation and self-honor and appearances and desiring honor from men and compared that his interpretation where the religion should have been one of service to others instead of self-serving.

The Messiah says “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites! Because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men…” This is hardly “support” for the Pharisees and scribes!

He repeats this same sentence twice and calls them “blind guides” and “blind fools” who value money more than religion.

He repeats a third time “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because they have “neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith: These you ought to have done without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel!

A fourth time the Messiah says “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of extortion and rapacity. He tells them to repent and “first cleanse the inside of the cup and of the plate, that the outside also may be clean.

A fifth time he says “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrittes! “ and he compares them to tombs that are outwardly beautiful, but within full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. “So you also outwardly aper righteous to men, but within you are full of hypscrisy and iniquity.

A sixth time the Messiah says “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!” and he explains that they did not listen to the prophets but instead, persecuted them. He calls them “serpents and a “brood of vipers”

He says he had sent prophets to them, but they killed and stoned those sent to them to repair and restore them to correct religion.

The point here is that I do not think the text in Matthew 23 means that Jesus the Messiah “supported” the Pharisees and Scribes both.

Historically, The Jewish histories confirm that the Messiah was correct in his partial enumeration of the sins the Pharisees and Scribes were guilty of.

Thus, I think the claim that the Messiah “supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both). “ is an abuse of the actual narrative of the text in Matthew 23 where the text actually “makes clear” what he thinks of the Pharisees and Saducees and what they had done to the religion that had, at one point, been given them.

The second example given by Ehav4ever is similar in it’s strange conclusion.

Ehav4ever says : Further, the NT gospel author of John claimed that Jesus told the Samaritan woman that the Jews had things correct, Tanakh wise and in general, as shown below.”

The women had just pointed out that the Samaritans worshipped God “on this mountain” whereas the Jews worshipped in the Jerusalem Temple.
The Messiah then pointed out that the day will come when the Jews would not worship at the Jerusalem temple (it was destroyed 40 years later) and neither would the Samaritans worship in truth on their mountain.
While the Messiah and his salvation would come from the Jews, this is NOT saying that “the Jews had things correct, Tanakh wise and in general…”.

If anything, the severe Chastizement the Messiah gave the Pharisees and Scribes and the religion they had created and practiced was an indication that did NOT have "things correct" Tanakh wise and in general.”

Having said this, the narrative where the Messiah berates the Jews for their many sins, this does not mean he did not or does not love them.
In Matt 23:37 the narrative says “o Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not. Behold, your house is forsaken and desolate.”

Such historical narratives do not seem to give the sense that there is no love for the Pharisees and Scribes, merely that they had misused and adopted misguided adaptations to the religion they had been given and misinterpreted the texts they were given in ways that supported their adaptation of religious principles.

Perhaps the current examples in this thread where Matthew 23 and John 4 (Samaritan women) were re-purposed to try to show the Messiah “supported” the “Pharisees and scribes” and that the Messiah thought the Jews of his era “had things correct, Tanakh wise and in general” are examples of how the ancient Jews were attempting to use (or mis-use) the texts for different purposes than the text was intended.

In any case, I hope your own journeys are good and wonderful. I just wanted to make this single point regarding the text.

Clear
σιακτζδρω

Ehav4Ever

This tendency to find things in a text that are not there is a strange pattern.

Greetings,

I am so glad you wrote this statemet. You have also proven out the OP, maybe without knowing it, of this thread and also of this thread below.

Questions about Christianity and Mormonism

1. For Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jews the authors of the NT had a "tendency to find things in a text that are not there" and for Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jews this tendancy of the NT authors "is a strange pattern."
  2. For Christians the NT authors were perfectly fine in their methods and there is nothing strange whatsoever.
So, what this means is that when Christians read the NT they see one set of things in the text based on Christian standards. YET, when Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jews read the NT we see something completely different based on Torath Mosheh standards.

See, I knew that at the heart of it we all really do agree about the OP. Thank you for sharing the "traditional Christian" / προφορική νομοθεσία interpretation of the written Greek text.

Clear

Premium Member
POST ONE OF TWO

REGARDING THE JEWISH CLAIM THAT JESUS THE MESSIAH SUPPORTED THE PHARISEES AND THE SCRIBES AND THEIR TEXT

@2ndpillar claimed : “Apparently, according to Jeremiah 8:8, the scribes of the Jews, whose writings are found in the different Talmuds, can make the Law into a lie,…”

@Ehav4Ever said : “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both). The author of Matthew 23:1-3 makes this clear…” (post #507)

Clear pointed out Matthew 23 does NOT tell us that Jesus supported the Pharisees and Scribes and their specific text. In fact, Matthew 23 severely criticizes the Pharisees and Scribes as hypocrites who do not practice the law they preach and Matthew 23 says NOTHING of the correctness of the text.

Matthew 23 starts out in the context of the prior question about the greatest commandment and compares that to the Pharisees that are disobeying the very moral laws they professed to teach.

The Messiah said : "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses seat, so practice and observe what they say, but not what they do; for they preach but do not practice. They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger, ....... Matthew 23 : 1 -

While the Jewish leaders were claiming to be purveyors of the Law, they were outed as purveyors of hypocrisy where they claimed to be the fount of wisdom and purveyors of the law but this was, according to the Messiah in his many examples, a lie.

The situation of the Pharisees was a good example of the Prophet Jeremiahs statement : “How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. (Jeremiah 8:8)

It is untrue to imply that “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” (Evah4ever in post #507)

The Messiah warns the people NOT to be like the Pharisees and Scribes who bound laws and burdens on others but did not even try to live those burdens themselves.

The Messiah spoke of the changes the Pharisees and Scribes made to an originally pure religion and eventually pure religion evolved into a religion of self congratulation and self-honor and appearances and desiring honor from men.

He compared this man-made religious interpretation of the pharisees that was self-serving to the earlier religion that should have been one of service to others instead of self-serving.

The Messiah says “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites! Because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men…” This is hardly “support” for the Pharisees and scribes!

He repeats this same sentence twice and calls them “blind guides” and “blind fools” who value money more than religion.

He repeats a third time “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because they have “neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith: These you ought to have done without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel!”

A fourth time the Messiah says “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of extortion and rapacity. He tells them to repent and “first cleanse the inside of the cup and of the plate, that the outside also may be clean.

A fifth time he says “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! “ and he compares them to tombs that are outwardly beautiful, but within full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. “So you also outwardly aper righteous to men, but within you are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

A sixth time the Messiah says “Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!” and he explains that they did not listen to the prophets but instead, persecuted them. He calls them “serpents and a “brood of vipers”

He says he had sent prophets to them, but they killed and stoned those sent to them to repair and restore them to correct religion.

In the face of the many, many criticisms leveled by the Messiah against the Pharisees and Scribes, it seems patently false to claim that “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” (Evah4ever in post #507)

JEWISH HISTORIES THEMSELVES CONFIRM THE MANY SINS OF THESE JEWS
Historically, The Jewish histories confirm that the Messiah was correct in his criticisms of the many sins the Pharisees and Scribes were guilty of which ultimately lead to the loss of their temple, the loss of prophets and prophetic gifts, the loss of revelation, the loss of the ability to create scripture from revelation, the loss of a fully functioning priesthood and the shift to rabbinic religion, and other punishments.

The Jewish poster rosends (in post #213) offered a link to a Jewish historical site that explains some of these sins of the Jews that come from Jewish history itself :

What’s the truth about….the Cause of the Destruction of the Beit Hamikdash? - Jewish Action

This Jewish site confirms many of the descriptions the Messiah gave of the sins of the Jews and further confirms the falsehood of the claim that “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” (Evah4ever in post #507)

THE MULTIPLE TYPES OF SINS THE JEWS COMMITTED FOR WHICH THEY WERE PUNISHED PARALLELS THE MESSIAHS LIST

This Jewish historical list of additional sins included the three cardinal sins which were :

The Jews abandoned original religion and turned to man made religion and worshipped idols

The Jews engaged in prohibited sexual relations which were forbidden. In fact, the Jews committed sexual immorality to the extent where “they were not ashamed of one another” as your link pointed out.

The Jews committed murder.

The Jewish historical link described additional sins Jewish literature indicates Jews were guilty of including :

The Jews neglecting the agricultural sabbatical year,

The Jews engaged in “love of money and each one hates his neighbor”

Their Judges were not rendering appropriate judgments.

The Jewish literature gives specific examples of Cardinal sins such as one Priest fighting with another for the right to work on the Holy Altar. “Rampant Idolatry” rather than isolated idolatry.

The Jews were guilty of the desecration of the Sabbath in the temple.

The Jews were guilty of the neglect of reading the Shema.

The Jews were guilty of neglecting the education of children.

The Jews were guilty of the equalization of small and great.

The Jews were guilty of the neglect of Torah study.

The Jews were guilty of the actual abandonment of Torah.

The Jews were guilty of the neglect of recitation of birchat Ha Torah.

The Jews were guilty of “wasting” time and relying on “vanities and nothingness”.

The Jews were guilty of the type of elitism where they treated others who did not exactly conform to the beliefs as “heretics”

The Jews were guilty of gossip.

These are examples of the types of and the multitude of sins, many of which parallel the very sins the Messiah criticized the Pharisees and Scribes for.

It is untrue to say that “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” (Evah4ever in post #507)

POST TWO OF TWO FOLLOWS

Clear

Premium Member
POST TWO OF TWO

HISTORICAL LITERATURE CONFIRMS BOTH THE MESSIANIC HISTORY AND THE JEWISH HISTORIES ON THESE POINTS.

These reasons (and more reasons) for God punishing Israel with loss of the temple, loss of a fully functioning priesthood; loss of revelation; loss of prophets and prophetic gifts and accompanying losses are described in other historical literature as well.

We can compare the Jewish records with historical records and the historical predictions parallel the Jewish records with unsettling similarity.

For examples :

Levi, taught his sons about the terrible sins their descendants would commit.

“And now, my children, I know from the writings of Enoch that in the end-time you will act impiously against the Lord, setting your hands to every evil deed; because of you, your brothers will be humiliated and among all the nations you shall become the occasion for scorn. For your father, Israel, is pure with respect to all the impieties of the chief priests, [who laid their hands on the Savior of the world,] as heaven is pure above the earth; and you should be the lights of Israel as the sun and the moon.

For what will all the nations do if you become darkened with impiety? You will bring down a curse on our nation, because you want to destroy the light of the Law which was granted to you for the enlightenment of every man, teaching commandments which are opposed to God’s just ordinances.

You plunder the Lord’s offerings; from his share you steal choice parts, contemptuously eating them with whores. You teach the Lord’s commands out of greed for gain; married women you profane; you have intercourse with whores and adulteresses. You take gentile women for your wives and your sexual relations will become like Sodom and Gomorrah.

You will be inflated with pride over your priesthood, exalting yourselves not merely by human standards but contrary to the commands of God. With contempt and laughter you will deride the sacred things. Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs- Levi 14:1-8;

“Now I have come to know that for seventy weeks you shall wander astray and profane the priesthood and defile the sacrificial altars. You shall set aside the law and nullify the words of the prophets by your wicked perversity.

You persecute just men: and you hate the pious; the word of the faithful you regard with revulsion. A man who by the power of the Most High renews the Law you name ‘Deceiver,’ and finally you shall plot to kill him, not discerning his eminence; by your wickedness you shall take innocent blood on your heads…Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs- Levi 16:1-3
;

“1 And when the times of exposure come near and punishment arises through kings who (though) sharing their crimes yet punish them, 2 then they themselves will be divided as to the truth. 3 Consequently the word was fulfilled that they will avoid justice and approach iniquity; and they will pollute the house of their worship with the customs of the nations; and they will play the harlot after foreign gods. For they will not follow the truth of God, but certain of them will pollute the high altar by … the offerings which they place before the Lord.

They are not (truly priests (at all), but slaves, yea sons of slaves. 5 For those who are the leaders, their teachers, in those times will become admirers of avaricious persons, accepting (polluted) offerings, and they will sell justice by accepting bribes. 6 Therefore their city and the full extent of their dwelling places will be filled with crimes and iniquities. For they will have in their midst judges who will act with impiety toward the Lord and will judge just as they please.....ch 6 2 They will perform great impiety in the Holy of Holies.
.. Testament of Moses 5:1-6 and p 930 6:2

“And this testimony will be heard as a testimony against them, for they will forget all of my commandments, everything which I shall command them, and they will walk after the gentiles and after their defilement and shame.

And they will serve their gods, and they will become a scandal for them and an affliction and a torment and a share. And many will be destroyed and seized and will fall into the hand of the enemy because they have forsaken my ordinances and my commandments and the feasts of my covenant and my Sabbaths and my sacred place, which I sanctified for myself among them, and my tabernacle and my sanctuary, which I sanctified from myself in the midst of the land so that I might set my name upon it and might dwell (there).
” Jubilees 1:9-10;

The admission of the Jews themselves in their own historical records as well as other historical records describing the Sins of the Jews which resulting in the disastrous loss of characteristics of ancient religion are part of history itself.

It is in the context of history that the prophet Ezra said : “Hear these words, O Israel. At first our fathers dwelt as aliens in Egypt and they were delivered from there, and received the Law of life, which they did not keep, which you also have transgressed after them. then land was given to you for a possession in the land of Zion; but you and your fathers committed iniquity and did not keep the ways which the Most High commanded you. And because he is a righteous judge, in due time he took from you what he had given. “ Fourth Book of Ezra 14:28-32….

Thus, I think the claim that the Messiah supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both). “ is a gross, obvious distortion of the actual narrative of the text in Matthew 23 where the text actually “makes clear” that the Pharisees and Saducees are doing evil thing and abusing and changing the religion their ancestors had been given and history explains why this original religion was taken away from them.

The claim that “Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” (Evah4ever in post #507) Is completely untrue.

It is also untrue to claim that “the NT gospel author of John claimed that Jesus told the Samaritan woman that the Jews had things correct, Tanakh wise and in general…” (Ehav4ever)

THE DISTORTION OF HISTORY DECREASED CREDIBILITY OF THAT HISTORY
The tendency to misrepresent and distort history and of its texts to support a personal or religious agenda form a powerful reason to be suspicious of history offered by individuals or an entire movement who is willing to distort history to support an agenda.

When Romans 1:25 relates that individuals “…exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator…” the principle of distorting a text may be one of the methods whereby historical religious truth is changed and no longer valid history. Once the history is changed, then the conclusions based on distorted history can no longer be trusted.

For example, after having been show that the claim that “…Jesus supported the Hebrew text of the Torah that existed during the second Temple period and that he supported those who had transmatted it (Pharisees and Scribes both).” was untrue, Evha4ever writes :

“I am so glad you wrote this statemet. You have also proven out the OP”.

What value are such statements or associated religious claims if authentic history is allowed to be distorted so easily, or if, in the face of obvious error, the error itself can be attributed to support a religious agenda?

Clear
σινεειακω

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
1) Lev 5:11-13 (flour, no blood)
And if his means do not suffice for two turtledoves or two pigeons, he shall
bring as his offering for that of which he is guilty a tenth of an ephah of choice flour for a sin offering
; he shall not add oil to it or lay frankincense on it, for it is a sin offering.

He shall bring it to the priest, and the priest shall scoop out of it a handful as a token portion of it and turn it into smoke on the altar, with the LORD’s offerings by fire; it is a sin offering.

Thus the priest shall make expiation on his behalf for whichever of these sins he is guilty, and he shall be forgiven. It shall belong to the priest, like the meal offering.

2) Num 17:12 (incense, no blood)
Aaron took it, as Moses had ordered, and ran to the midst of the congregation, where the plague had begun among the people. He put on the incense and made expiation for the people;

3) Numbers 31:50 (gold, no blood)
So we have brought as an offering to the LORD such articles of gold as each of us came upon: armlets, bracelets, signet rings, earrings, and pendants, that expiation may be made for our persons before the LORD.”

For extra credit, here's #4
Exodus 30:15 (coin, not blood)
the rich shall not pay more and the poor shall not pay less than half a shekel when giving the LORD’s offering as expiation for your persons

I wasn't sure that you knew the word "expiation" so I linked to a definition. Here is a little more: ATONEMENT | Definition of ATONEMENT by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of ATONEMENT

-----------
there is also Lev 8:34 which indicates that boiling meat and eating bread brings expiation, Lev 14:29 which has the smearing of oil as expiation, 16:10 which says that simply sending a goat into the wilderness expiates, 23:28 which indicates that the existence of a day does the job automatically.

Where is the Temple where such offerings are received by priests?

rosends

Where is the Temple where such offerings are received by priests?
Wait. First you claimed something wasn't textual and now you move the goalposts once you are shown to be wrong? So noted. If you want to start a different thread about non-sacrificial atonement or about non-temple based service just admit that you were wrong and we can move forward.

Ehav4Ever

Here are a group of Yeshu/Jesus believers, who call themselves the Netzarim, who claim that the Jesus agreed with the Pharisess and Scribes from Beith Hillel. They claim to be pretty much the authentic Jewish Christians, even if they don't like the title Christian.

It appears that Christians/Messianics/Hebrew Roots/Netzarim/Sacred Namers have a bit of history sort out.

upload_2021-4-13_21-48-8.png