• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the "my God" vs "your God" ?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
It does not come up, because such a question is absurd.

Oh SalixIncendium, I’m disappointed now :(. I much preferred the honest response you gave here:

I don't technically "own" any gods. The bank does. I'm still making payments.

There are many, many (different) things that atheists worship and devote all their time and energy to - just not God.

Humbly
Hermit

Brian2

Veteran Member
It does not come up, because such a question is absurd.

Some would say that our God is what we serve in life. That is why material things or ourselves can be seen as idolatry for us.
Paul tells us the greed is idolatry. (Eph 5:5, Col 3:5)
Jesus said that we cannot serve both God and mammon (money, material goods)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh SalixIncendium, I’m disappointed now :(. I much preferred the honest response you gave here:

There are many, many (different) things that atheists worship and devote all their time and energy to - just not God.

Humbly
Hermit

Sorry to hear you're disappointed. I didn't do that; you did. ;)

Do you think it's fair to put all atheists in such a neat little box? I know religious people that do just the same.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Some would say that our God is what we serve in life. That is why material things or ourselves can be seen as idolatry for us.
Paul tells us the greed is idolatry. (Eph 5:5, Col 3:5)
Jesus said that we cannot serve both God and mammon (money, material goods)

Wouldn't God be disappointed to see a Christian equate God with material goods?

Do you believe there are no Christians or other religious people who worship material goods? If you do, I'd be happy to introduce you to my family.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
When someone say "my God" do they own this God?
It follows with fealty and the representation of the individual saying that, indicating the god that they worship. Other similar examples are: my king/queen, my country, my father/mother, my people, etc. An individual does not own any of those, but it is a term used to indicate belonging of the individual to a greater individual or whole.

Most recently we saw (and continue to see) this with the current US president and the former president. Either side will staunchly declare "He's not my president!" indicating they do not approve of him, or aren't loyal to him, neverminding the legalities of the office. In which is similar to the claim that some Abrahamists will make in that their god is everyone's god; though this is a much harder claim to back up, and relies purely on faith-based claims.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is something I can not wrap my head around, so to speak.

When someone say "my God" do they own this God? Because the next they ask is can " your God" do so or so? :confused:

I do not own a God....if anything i am in dept to Allah every day of my life, and maybe i never will be able to repay my dept....

But when someone say "my God do or say so or so" what does it mean?
Do they believe they are the owner of the God :confused:
It means that his spiritual understanding is primitive?

To me, by definition God can only be one. So all prayer is to God... it is not possible to worship but God... and He has no need to be called by a particular name... or any name at all. So yes my God is the same as your God.

syo

When someone say "my God" do they own this God? Because the next they ask is can " your God" do so or so? :confused:

I do not own a God....if anything i am in dept to Allah every day of my life, and maybe i never will be able to repay my dept....

It's a Christian tradition. Us vs them.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

The Quran also uses this context in Suratal Kaffiroon "I do not worship that which you worship" and Elyas (a) also when he said "Do you worship baal and leave the best of Creators", Baal was a name of the Creator but he wasn't the God he calls to (Elyas), and said the God he calls to is the proper Creator which is the best concept while the concept they have a Creator is less then his.

Shakeel

To me, by definition God can only be one. So all prayer is to God... it is not possible to worship but God... and He has no need to be called by a particular name... or any name at all. So yes my God is the same as your God.
It is possible to worship pretty much anything. My God has many names and He has commanded us to call on him by those names.

Shakeel

I only use my God if I think it benefits the audience. I simply say God because there is only one God. I might say our God and people might think I mean Muslims, but I actually mean everybody.

Clara Tea

If they have the right to take my land or my freedom, using "their God," it must be a different God than mine.

74x12

It means they own/acknowledge God. Nothing wrong with that. To "own" God is to acknowledge he is your God. That is the opposite of denying God. Because really everyone owns God no matter if they like it or not.