• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Hell . . . .

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I find this a weird question...I could easily ask, what is accomplished by putting people into prison? Or giving treats to well behaved children or being nice to someone who is nice to you but avoiding those that are not. It's pretty self explanatory and one of the easiest aspects of Christianity to understand.

What is the point of sending good people to a place of torture - just because they don't worship YOUR God?

Tomorrows_Child

What is the point of sending good people to a place of torture - just because they don't worship YOUR God?

Because that is the criteria of Christianity. It's not my criteria. In Christianity, if you do not believe in Jesus as our messiah, our saviour, then our sins shall not be forgiven and we go to hell. It's as simple as that.

I repeat, it's really not difficult to understand.

Tomorrows_Child

And if you did, I'd answer by saying it helps keep society safe from them, and sends the message that doing what they did, which sent them to prison, is not wise. .

Typically, it tends to foster more good behavior.

Often times it functions as a "Thank You."

Really! So, in a nut shell, which of of my answers here, if any, is accomplished by putting people in hell to suffer?

You pretty much answered your own question. Good people get treats, bad people get punished.

blue taylor

Because that is the criteria of Christianity. It's not my criteria. In Christianity, if you do not believe in Jesus as our messiah, our saviour, then our sins shall not be forgiven and we go to hell. It's as simple as that.

I agree that most Christians believe that you have to accept Jesus as savior for your sins, and accept Jesus as the son of God. That means believing in heaven and hell. However a growing number of people calling themselves Christian dispute that theory. Christian Deists, Unitarian Universalist Christian Fellowship, red letter Christians, Jesusists, Liberal Quakers, and many more are reading just the words Jesus supposedly spoke, and are finding a whole new meaning in his words. Original sin is not in the Bible.

But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” (without sin)

habiru

I see much of that scripture as being from the perspective
of the individual person. I don't think God actually shuts
anyone out or forgets anyone.

If Psalm 139:7-12 has anything to say about it, one can't
be outside of His presence even if they tried. :)

-

God has set a time when He will no longer be with the Unholy, that He will cast them from out of His presence forever. That is why He is trying to save us all by having us to spread the truth about His word about what is going to happen..

Psalm 88:5 I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care

.Matthew 8:22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Luke 23:42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

Ezekiel 3:18 When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

What most people understand is the non-biblical teaching of a permanent religious-myth hell teaching of burning forever which is just taught as Scripture although Not Scripture.
Can you think of anyone righteous who went to hell the day he died ?______
According to Scripture the day righteous Jesus' died Jesus went to hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27; Psalms 16:10
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.

Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which teach ' sleep in death '
- References: Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Psalms 146:4; Daniel 12:2; Daniel 12:13; Ecclesiastes 9:5
That is why Jesus also taught sleep in death - John 11:12-14
So, while in the Bible's hell (grave) Jesus was in an unconscious sleep-like state until God resurrected the dead Jesus out of biblical hell (grave) - Acts of the Apostles 13:30

Unless someone has committed the unforgivable sin - Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6, then Romans 6:7 applies to them.
The dead are freed or acquitted from their sins. No double jeopardy for the dead. No post-mortem penalty for the dead.
Being freed or acquitted does Not automatically mean now innocent, but as a governor can pardon a person so the ' crime ' charges do Not stick,
Jesus can pardon a person so the ' sin ' charges do No longer stick. Thus opening the way up for a resurrection - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
Acts 24:15 uses the ' future tense ' that there ' is going to be' a resurrection..... ' because a happy-and-healthy physical resurrection will take place on earth.
Jesus has the keys to unlock biblical hell ( grave ) - Revelation 1:18
So, during Jesus' coming millennium-long day of governing over earth ' resurrection day ' is also that thousand-year day when Jesus will unlock the grave for the majority of mankind.
That will open up the way for the sleeping dead to awaken to be part of the humble meek who can inherit the earth forever - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:11; Psalms 37:29
So, besides heavenly life for some - Revelation 20:6, the majority of mankind can gain everlasting life on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.
Mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on earth for the healing of earth's nations - Revelation 22:2

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I see much of that scripture as being from the perspective
of the individual person. I don't think God actually shuts
anyone out or forgets anyone.
If Psalms 139:7-12 has anything to say about it, one can't
be outside of His presence even if they tried. :)
-

God sees - Hebrews 4:13; Deuteronomy 26:15 A - so, we are Not outside of His seeing, but does that mean No destruction for the wicked ? ______ - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16
Aren't the haughty ' goats ' going to be 'shut out', so to speak _______ - Matthew 25:31-33,37,40
Aren't those committing the unforgivable sin ' shut out ' ? _______- Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6
Aren't we all given two (2) choices according to 2 Peter 3:9 to either ' repent ' or ' perish ' ( be destroyed ) ?______
Aren't the wicked to be ' destroyed forever ' according to Psalms 92:7 ?_____

God has set a time when He will no longer be with the Unholy, that He will cast them from out of His presence forever. That is why He is trying to save us all by having us to spread the truth about His word about what is going to happen..

Psalm 88:5 I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care

.Matthew 8:22 But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Luke 23:42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

Ezekiel 3:18 When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

God sees - Hebrews 4:13; Deuteronomy 26:15 A - so, we are Not outside of His seeing, but does that mean No destruction for the wicked ? ______ - Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16
Aren't the haughty ' goats ' going to be 'shut out', so to speak _______ - Matthew 25:31-33,37,40
Aren't those committing the unforgivable sin ' shut out ' ? _______- Matthew 12:32; Hebrews 6:4-6
Aren't we all given two (2) choices according to 2 Peter 3:9 to either ' repent ' or ' perish ' ( be destroyed ) ?______
Aren't the wicked to be ' destroyed forever ' according to Psalms 92:7 ?_____
The god of the bible seems to be limited in his options
as to how to deal with the world's perceived problems.
Maybe he'll consult my God for advice on a better way
of going about this.

-

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's said that hell was originally created as a place for Satan and his angels. (From what a lot of Christians have said, evidently Satan hasn't found his way there yet, as he's still leading us good humans astray.) Fine, but then god decided to use hell as a final resting place for those of us who fail to toe his line.

So what's the deal here? Was hell going to waste with no Satan to burn? Or does god simply get a kick out of making people suffer?

Just what is accomplished by putting people in hell?

sorry I'm late....but I've read a parable where heaven and hell must be the same place
a rich man suffers for his misdeed and is having a face to face discussion with an angel
and the angel says....There is a great divide between us.

obviously....not physical, even though....
the rich makes request for a drip of water upon his tongue.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

That does not answer the question.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
So, you feel that making people suffer for all eternity for such things as cowardliness and unbelief is just.

Who told you that God puts people in Hellfire for "cowardliness and unbelief"...

When it comes to the unbelievers, God punish them for insisting to deny what they are sure in their inner-selves to be true..

We have clear Religious sources that say that people who did not hear the truth and were not able to discover it themselves will be tested in the other life...Albeit, God himself knows about the reality of every soul without the need to testing them..

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
sorry I'm late....but I've read a parable where heaven and hell must be the same place
a rich man suffers for his misdeed and is having a face to face discussion with an angel
and the angel says....There is a great divide between us.

obviously....not physical, even though....
the rich makes request for a drip of water upon his tongue.

Actually, I believe that is a parable about Sheol, - where both good and bad go to await the Messiah, and final judgment.

In The Bosom of Abraham, - refers to reclining at ease at the head table, they are at peace, as they were righteous.

The rich man represents those that fell short, - and sleep restless - out of fear, - and anger at themselves, - for not changing their ways before it was too late. They burn with desire for what they now can't have.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Who told you that God puts people in Hellfire for "cowardliness and unbelief"...
The Bible told me so. :D

Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur.​

Tomorrows_Child

I'm sorry, but your reply makes no sense whatsoever. Have a good day.

So the idea that bad people get punished, which you yourself accepted and that good people deserve a "thank you", you yourself said so, does not make sense to you?

Well, I don't know where to go from here. Maybe English is not your first language, that is the only possible excuse for such a ridiculous statement.

Tomorrows_Child

That does not answer the question.

I answered your question in the framework of this thread, which is about Christianity and it's system of hell. If you want to ask my personal opinion, that would not be suitable to this thread but you are more than welcome to in a message or a separate thread but it is entirely irrelevant to the christian teaching.

blue taylor

I answered your question in the framework of this thread, which is about Christianity and it's system of hell. If you want to ask my personal opinion, that would not be suitable to this thread but you are more than welcome to in a message or a separate thread but it is entirely irrelevant to the christian teaching.
Start another thread about your personal opinion about Christianity. Some of us want to hear it!

Why don't you invite the Almighty over for coffee and just simply ask Him? I doubt you'd understand the answers even if He took you up on it.

You speak as if you are on the same intellectual level of the Almighty all knowing God. Isn't that rather presumptuous of you?

I think it is presumptuous to assume your god even exists. As far as I can see your god only exists in the pages of an ancient book of mythology and the imaginations of those that believe those ancient myths are real.

But the point is, he supposedly MADE the people. That is, if your god is so wise, loving, merciful, all-knowing, and so on, and this is the god that you believe beget us, then he made the "wicked and rebellious people" he is condemning. If your god is responsible for all, responsible for life, our very souls' creation, then it is his responsibility for what these souls do. If he is all-knowing, then he would already know, before we even live our lives, before we are even born, what we will do, what we will believe, and yet he still supposedly gives us breath, soul, life. He allows people to not believe in him, knows they will not before even they do, and yet still allows their existence. Then, given he has allowed their existence, created their souls even, he decides to punish them for being what he created them to be. Why? Is that truly "justice"? No.

Look, let's say that I create AI. I build robots, androids, that can think for themselves. I develop their programming. I set their parameters. It is all my doing. I know, when setting these parameters that certain ones will be more aggressive and more likely to rebuke authority than others, I know because I am the designer, yet I STILL flip that switch on. I am thus responsible for whatever wrongdoing they may do. Me. It makes no sense then for me to scold or punish the very life that I brought about and programmed for doing EXACTLY what already knew it would. If I didn't want it to behave that way, if I didn't want it to do certain things, I obviously should not have designed it like that. Saying I don't approve of what it does doesn't cut it...I made it. Saying I will punish it for who I made it to be is just sadistic. If I made a life that I KNEW would be a certain way and then turn around and say I was going to torture it for being that way, well that's just sadistic and cruel and makes me a very malevolent designer doesn't it?

I've made this argument for years. Unfortunately the religious cling to their beliefs out of their emotional attachment to them. A rational argument backed by evidence is easily ignored by the true believer.