1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the altar Skull?

Discussion in 'Satanism DIR' started by agorman, Feb 17, 2019.

1. agorman

agorman Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Religion:
    My own path of experimentation.
    Why the altar skull? I use to see one or more skulls on almost every Satanic altar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (This last one seems more like an altar to Kali and Shiva, but came up in a Google Search for satanic altar ).

2. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Before there was love, there was silence
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,457
    Religion:
    Christian (Anglo-Catholic)
    Skulls are symbols of transformation and ego death. They can also be used to commune with the dead. But you'd really have to ask the individual what it means to them. It's not a requirement for anything. Real human skulls are expensive, anyway.

3. agorman

agorman Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Religion:
    My own path of experimentation.
    You mean the death of the false ego to leave room to the real ego/higher self/godself? I thought Satanism is more dedicated to increase the ego rather than destroy it.

4. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Before there was love, there was silence
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,457
    Religion:
    Christian (Anglo-Catholic)
    Not all Satanists agree about that. There's a split between the LaVey influenced camp and a more Eastern LHP/Chaos Gnostic influenced strain. You have to make up your own mind about it since Satanism isn't an organized religion and there's nothing all Satanists agree on. But I was generally meaning it in the way you described, yes.

5. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,177
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian
    Skulls can also represent Wisdom--the lessons learned from the death of/release from destructive habits.

6. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,177
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian
    In the second picture, the skulls facing each other might suggest socratic dialectic/wisdom through adversity/the Black Flame.

7. Liu

Liu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +405
    Religion:
    Pandiabololatry
    It also depends on what you are referring to by the ego - no sense in strengthening a wrong self-image. It may sound paradoxical, but self-confidence and destroying the ego would normally support each other - again, depending on what exactly one means by these terms.

Regarding the skulls, I never had one on my altar (and owning a real one would be illegal here anyway). Those photos look like taken by someone who wants to show off - and may not necessarily reflect actual Satanic altars.

8. February-Saturday

February-Saturday Devil Worshiper

Ratings:
    +279
    Religion:
    Occult Satanism
    I know this post is a little old, but I'm rather tired of being accused of this line of thought for being a Satanist.

The Fraternitas Saturni, arguably the oldest Satanic organization, had a lot more in common with Thelema. Ego loss was still a stage of their ritual advancement, since it was based on alchemy. You could say that this was to make room for the "Higher Self," but it's not too much different from finding your individual True Will and devoting yourself to its fulfillment.

Ironically, I think to seek to "increase the ego" in any form is ironically more self-destructive than anything else. It's sort of unambiguously bad for the individual, whether you're adhering to master or slave moralities. Even LaVey knew this and warned about it, specifically calling out excessive indulgence and a lack of self-awareness as hurdles to avoid. Ultimately, that decries the ego, which shouldn't be all that surprising since LaVey was also heavily influenced by Thelema.

There's some confusion here, because Satanism tends to align with ethical egoism and generally be fairly egocentric, but the "ego" in these concepts is entirely different from the "ego" in ego death. Ego death is actually more closely associated with Jung's concept of "individuation," which sounds a lot more like the language you would expect to find in a discussion on Satanism but they're essentially the same process.

Ego death itself is a transient experience used for insight. It's not a virtue to strive for or an end-goal or anything; it's an altered state of consciousness. Mystic practices like Zen or jnanamarga emphasize the temporal nature of these experiences while emphasizing the importance of applying the insight gained from them to daily life; they don't seek to destroy the Self.

ETA: Now, in those practices, ego death is meant to be a stepping stone to some pretty un-Satanic (imo) lines of thought like selflessness and altruism, so I understand why that's often the connotation. Technically, though, that's just Buddhism and Hinduism, not ego death. As a state of mind, it can be used for other things.

#8 February-Saturday, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kapalika

Kapalika ⛧♡ॐ Jaṭā wearing Succubus Queenॐ♡⛧
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,413
    Religion:
    Vāmācāra
    Because skulls are cool and represent a lot of stuff to different people. It's a powerful symbol.

10. EsonauticSage

EsonauticSage Between extremes

Ratings:
    +36
    Religion:
    Unatheist, Dharmic (Shaivite-Vajrayana), Abrahamic (Hanif-Mu'min-Ahlulbayt aka Shi'i), Occultist, LHP semi-Satanic
    It is a sign of what we fundamentally are and where we have come from.

11. LuxEx9

LuxEx9 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Religion:
    Animism
    Per LaVey, it represents the carnal temple of wisdom. Everything you know and understand: is housed in that skull. Without the brain in that skull, you can know and understand nothing.