• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Thank God

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have just been involved in a long catch up phone call a very good friend who is a thoracic surgeon. He works in a hospital very close to one of Britain's main motorways and consequently sees the results of far to many high speed pile-ups.

Despite air bags and seat belts he is called on far to often to put people back together.

One of the topics we spoke about was, after a serious accident, following perhaps several intense hours of skilled surgery involving at least one surgeon, and up to a dozen highly trained theatre staff, when it is known the victim is likely to survive and the relatives and friends are informed that the surgery was a success. Inevitably someone will say "thank God"

My friend has got past the stage of wanting to confront the god thanker, although it's been on his mind he never has asked the question.

So?

My question is why offer thanks to a god who did nothing to prevent the accident, did nothing to guide a young hopeful, aspiring to be a surgion through college, university, internship, more university, many years of honing skills to the stage the now experienced hopeful can confidently rebuild a human being. Why thank a god who did nothing to help train the theatre staff. Did nothing to help design the equipment and facilities required. Generally did nothing. Why?

Ok, rant over.

If anyone does know why there is plenty of space below to show the reason

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it's a rant. Are you really interested in any answer? Somehow, I feel not (and that's perfectly okay, too).

Nimos

I have just been involved in a long catch up phone call a very good friend who is a thoracic surgeon. He works in a hospital very close to one of Britain's main motorways and consequently sees the results of far to many high speed pile-ups.

Despite air bags and seat belts he is called on far to often to put people back together.

One of the topics we spoke about was, after a serious accident, following perhaps several intense hours of skilled surgery involving at least one surgeon, and up to a dozen highly trained theatre staff, when it is known the victim is likely to survive and the relatives and friends are informed that the surgery was a success. Inevitably someone will say "thank God"

My friend has got past the stage of wanting to confront the god thanker, although it's been on his mind he never has asked the question.

So?

My question is why offer thanks to a god who did nothing to prevent the accident, did nothing to guide a young hopeful, aspiring to be a surgion through college, university, internship, more university, many years of honing skills to the stage the now experienced hopeful can confidently rebuild a human being. Why thank a god who did nothing to help train the theatre staff. Did nothing to help design the equipment and facilities required. Generally did nothing. Why?

Ok, rant over.

Can only say that I have been wondering that my self. First of all, I think its a bit disrespectful to the doctors etc. Obviously it might also in some cases simply be said as an expression rather than actually meaning it.

But thinking about the hour upon hours people throughout history have spend getting medical care to where it is today and then God gets thanks when it works, it seems a bit weird :D

Sort of the same as to why people's when injured are not rushing to the churches to ask God for help, instead they rush to the hospital or when people claim that evolution is all wrong, but have no issues getting a vaccine :D

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

So?

Ok, rant over.

For at least some people,

Its simple to remove some responsibility. Just as every success is your own every failure is too. If you can't get over the failures and in a surgeon's life some could be devastating it is easier to say it is in Gods hands. This way god gets both partial credit for your success and failures and you don't need to see a psychiatrist.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The accidents is not a thing that happens without a reason, and in my understanding the reason is karma, all human beings has some karma and some har more. The accident is a way to repay the wrongdoing from the past. So when something end well people will thank God for letting them suffer less then what could have been.

God is not unfair to human beings, we have brought the suffering upon our self.

(I know many going to disagree with my answer here, thats ok, you have a different understanding and view then i do.)

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Well, it's a rant. Are you really interested in any answer? Somehow, I feel not (and that's perfectly okay, too).

I am interested, i would love to understand why the surgeon and staff, the emergency services don't deserve thanks but god does, after all, a thanks is free is it not?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I am interested, i would love to understand why the surgeon and staff, the emergency services don't deserve thanks but god does, after all, a thanks is free is it not?
Can you vouch that the staff was never thanked? If so, that is wrong indeed.

Nimos

What one could wonder about is, whether the same people that thank God when the surgery goes well, will be equally tolerant towards the surgeon when they explain that unfortunately God weren't with them this time, after having completely screwed up everything. :)

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Can you vouch that the staff was never thanked? If so, that is wrong indeed.

In some cases the staff were not only not thanked but totally ignored as the god thanker and other attendees drift into a prayer of thanks

In cases where the doctor and staff are thanked it is very (very) rarely the god thanker being so forthcoming with gratitude.

ChristineM

Premium Member
What one could wonder about is, whether the same people that thank God when the surgery goes well, will be equally tolerant towards the surgeon when they explaine that unfortunately God weren't with them this time, after having completely screwed up everything. :)

I know my friend has lost patients, usually because of gross damage, i do not believe anyone has thanked their god in such circumstances.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
In some cases the staff were not only not thanked but totally ignored as the god thanker and other attendees drift into a prayer of thanks
And later? Sometimes people get caught up in the moment. Different people experience different situations differently. You were in the hospital yourself not long ago, right (if I remember correctly)? For you and other non-believing people, your first thought may be to thank the staff. Also, maybe not. Some people are just rude cranks, or perhaps they're hurting too much, or their minds are elsewhere - whatever the reason may be. It's similar with religious people: Some may first think to thank God. Some may actually think to first thank the staff. Some may not feel thankful at all. Some may be thinking about a million other things, like how much the bills are going to cost, who's going to take care of the kids, who's going to water the plants, will their work let them keep their job, etc. Who knows?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

So?

Ok, rant over.

My problem is, they thank God, but do not give credit to the person who actually helped them in the situation, like the doctor.

Terry Sampson

Sirach 38 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Concerning Physicians and Health
38 Honor physicians for their services,
for the Lord created them;
2 for their gift of healing comes from the Most High,
and they are rewarded by the king.
3 The skill of physicians makes them distinguished,
and in the presence of the great they are admired.
4 The Lord created medicines out of the earth,
and the sensible will not despise them.
5 Was not water made sweet with a tree
in order that its power might be known?
6 And he gave skill to human beings
that he might be glorified in his marvelous works.
7 By them the physician heals and takes away pain;
8 the pharmacist makes a mixture from them.
God’s works will never be finished;
and from him health spreads over all the earth.

9 My child, when you are ill, do not delay,
but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you.
10 Give up your faults and direct your hands rightly,
and cleanse your heart from all sin.
11 Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice, and a memorial portion of choice flour,
and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford.
12 Then give the physician his place, for the Lord created him;
do not let him leave you, for you need him.
13 There may come a time when recovery lies in the hands of physicians,
14 for they too pray to the Lord
that he grant them success in diagnosis
and in healing, for the sake of preserving life.
15 He who sins against his Maker,
will be defiant toward the physician.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God, is a defined human teaching about our planet entity, the stone as a Creator spirit body, that had formed its owned heavenly gas spirit body.

Without God you would not even exist as a human, what humans are thankful for.

Humans also know that when God changes, then so does life....so in the presence of God in its highest states...…...a lovely day, we are grateful and thankful.

If life were not being lived, then life also could not be harmed. It owns its owned ability to be harmed, because of the form of bio life body that we own and what choices we make as humans regarding how we move upon the planet of God.

Consciousness says, if not for the natural spiritual support of life with God, I would not learn and be enabled to assist others. So thank God, but some forget to thank their own selves also....for many humans would be grateful for your assistance.

Therefore many humans who assist naturally are grateful for their own lives and presence and how they assist others, so do not need to keep thanking God, for they realize they live thankfully already. For I am thankful that they exist assisting life.

ChristineM

Premium Member
And later? Sometimes people get caught up in the moment. Different people experience different situations differently. You were in the hospital yourself not long ago, right (if I remember correctly)? For you and other non-believing people, your first thought may be to thank the staff. Also, maybe not. Some people are just rude cranks, or perhaps they're hurting too much, or their minds are elsewhere - whatever the reason may be. It's similar with religious people: Some may first think to thank God. Some may actually think to first thank the staff. Some may not feel thankful at all. Some may be thinking about a million other things, like how much the bills are going to cost, who's going to take care of the kids, who's going to water the plants, will their work let them keep their job, etc. Who knows?

Me?, i didn't thank the surgeon, he was the reason i had to return for a second operation. He was aware of my animosity towards him and why. Had there been any choice would have opted for a different surgeon, but he had to clean up his mess and did a competent job second time round. But the staff, theatre and ward staff, yes.

I can see it happening if someone is hurting a lot. Perhaps call on comfort in such times.

As a matter of interest, regarding the OP, there are no bills for medical treatment in the UK so thats not a concern.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
As a matter of interest, regarding the OP, there are no bills for medical treatment in the UK so thats not a concern.
Hospitals are free in the UK? :eek:o_O
i do not believe anyone has thanked their god in such circumstances.
You know, Jews have a blessing they say after hearing tragic news. It says: "Baruch atah Hashem, dayan ha'emet" - Blessed are thou, LORD, the judge of truth. From experience, sadly, it's not an easy thing to say when the tragedy is close to home, as they say, but it is said, regardless.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

So?

Ok, rant over.

Fair enough.
But in any great relief I often exclaim 'Thank Heavens!'
Can I get away with that, please.?