1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why Study The Bible?

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by Earthling, Jun 11, 2018.

1. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,814
    It certainly is interesting how we interpret but our perceptions of ourself and the world around us deeply influences those interpretations.

I read an article last year in scientific American. It was a whole issue dedicated to the Brin and the cosmos. It opened by stating "the two deepest mysteries in science today is the human brain and the cosmos" .. Paraphrased "the two things we understand the least today in science is ourselves and the world around us"

I would say inadvertently accurate. I would also say that in ancient times nature was seen differently and we understood ourselves better. I mean way way back. Today it's generally all super intellectualizing in context to inferior emotions. Or so it's believed by Freudians.. I am jungian he is way whackier. In an accedemic sense.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +2,381
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Because I'm still fond of you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,383
    Religion:
    בת נח
    I'm so sorry.

4. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,656
    Religion:
    Judaism
    You will not be surprised to know that I would have had issues with your question as well primarily because the implied categories of accurate history and morality tales are entirely insufficient.

As I have in the past, I would recommend that folks consider Calderon's We Enter the Talmud Barefoot.

5. David T

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,814
    That's actually not true. But I think you are reacting to a something other than what was said and that's a bias that forms in religion itself. It's not special like that certainly but none the less it is special in historical context for sure.

6. Cacotopia

Cacotopia Let's go full Trottle

Ratings:
    +1,380
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Bible is full of atrocious godly behaviors, good to study to not do 90% of the stuff in there to be a decent human being.

7. David T

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,814
    Or the literalists who randomly promote random and nature as an object determined by "abstraction laws" is guiding it? Yep both are loopy. It's the great agreement disagreement!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +2,381
    Religion:
    Judaism
    metis and I have perfected our act, but if we ever expand our agent will call your agent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,636
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I study the Bible and the other religious scriptures to understand their cultural perspective on the belief in God(s) and the relationship with creation and humanity.

I do not believe that the Bible 'gives us insight on what was going on before the Earth itself was created.' It provides a perspective of what some cultures in the Middle East believed thousands of years ago on the origins of the universe, earth, life and humanity. It is in no way factual based on objective verifiable evidence.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,736
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love
  11. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,636
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Like the history of humanity these are very human atrocious behaviors justified by referencing a greater authority.

12. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +4,746
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
  13. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,797
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    I needed to study the Bible with some intelligent people for a while to get over the resentments it had created in me, being pushed at me as a child. I needed to gain a more clear and realistic understanding of what it is, and what it's for, so I could dispel all the toxic nonsense I had been told about it as a child.

I think this is an excellent reason to study it, which is why I did.

14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,192
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Actually I am bit surprised since my post was very carefully worded to avoid prejudice. Any rational person knows that Genesis has been shown to be morality tales at best. There never were only two people, the morality of the Garden of Eden story are appalling as well. There never was a Noah's Ark, tower of Babel, etc..

15. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,656
    Religion:
    Judaism
    So you adjudge all those who see in Genesis primitive attempts at cosmology, polemics against polytheism, founders' tales, etiological narratives, folk history, socio-political tracks, and ethical codes as irrational?

16. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,968
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Bible is, in part, an amazing work of literary genius which has taken motifs and stories from other cultures and woven into a unique narrative which reflects the beliefs not only of the authors but also, most likely, the beliefs that authors wished to encourage in their audience/community. Like any other work of scripture...

However, its historical and scientific accuracy is becoming less and less useful and accurate. Also, many of its moral pronouncements are now commonly seen to be in error.

17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,192
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Pretty much. They are mistaking mythology for all of those.

18. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,746
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    That’s more an issue of predicating your faith on a book, instead of upon your inner experiences.

19. sojourner

Ratings:
    +4,746
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    I disagree. Mythology does cover all those topics. That’s what mythology is — commentary on and explanation of all those things.

20. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,192
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I don't know of any atheist that became one only due to studying the Bible, but it does help.