• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Study Religion?

Why Do You Study Religion?

• I don't. I'm not really interested.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I study my own religion to bring its richness into my life.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • I study religion because I appreciate the cultural practice within them.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I study religion to help me better understand people.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • I am searching for something, spiritually speaking.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I enjoy learning about them from a historical viewpoint.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • I enjoy the stories or mythologies various religions bring to the table.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Something else(please share below)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking at another post, I became curious...

Many people study religion. Some stick with their own, others enjoy learning about the beliefs and practices of others. Do you? If you do, why?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Many people study religion. Some stick with their own, others enjoy learning about the beliefs and practices of others. Do you? If you do, why?

I know everything there is to know about Catholicism. Learning about other religions is just noise to me, that has the potential of clouding-up my knowledge.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I do not even study my own religion much anymore, let alone other religions...
Religion has never been an interest of mine, I prefer psychology. That is why I like to talk to so many people about religion and other things, I like to know what others think and believe and why they think and believe it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well I'm the one who voted, I don't - not in the sense that I actually study any particular one, or any. I'm obliged to know something at least about the major ones, and about many others, because they have such impacts on the lives of so many. But I still don't particularly like the influence that many have - seeing it as being more detrimental for humans than an overall benefit. But life is what it is so one has to be realistic rather than just ignoring them all.

Still more interested in psychology, sociology, and anthropology though. :oops:

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not interested in religion. I'm interested in what and how people think about their own existence.

Erebus

1. I study my own religion to bring its richness into my life.

2. I study religion because I appreciate the cultural practice within them.

3. I study religion to help me better understand people.

4. I enjoy learning about them from a historical viewpoint.

5. I enjoy the stories or mythologies various religions bring to the table.

These were my votes. I place particular emphasis on the last two points though, particularly when it comes to polytheism. I've complained about this before but it's infuriating how my religious education in school completely skipped ancient polytheistic religions.

I would encourage anybody with even the slightest glimmer of interest to do some reading about them. I don't mean that as a proselytising tactic as I have no interest whatsoever in converting people to Paganism. I do think though that there are plenty of people who would get a lot out of them purely for their stories and the insight they provide into ancient cultures.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
These were my votes. I place particular emphasis on the last two points though, particularly when it comes to polytheism. I've complained about this before but it's infuriating how my religious education in school completely skipped ancient polytheistic religions.

I would encourage anybody with even the slightest glimmer of interest to do some reading about them. I don't mean that as a proselytising tactic as I have no interest whatsoever in converting people to Paganism. I do think though that there are plenty of people who would get a lot out of them purely for their stories and the insight they provide into ancient cultures.

I fully agree. I also think if it were mentioned more in schools, it might assist in building a culture of respect towards the world around us; both of our roots as human beings, and of the land itself, as so many ancient cultures respected the earth in ways we no longer do.