• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so many stars?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't think the sun means anything. It has importance to us; a function, but meaning?
A thing has meaning when it signifies something.
Nothing has meaning without a conscious mind to give it meaning, which is what us humans do. It certainly holds significant to us as demonstrated through our cultures.

Ben10

I know what the stars mean to me: Life in the Universe - The New Message from God. The universe is alive! The night sky is orders of magnitude more wonderful once you realize that every direction you look, you gazing up at stars with planets populated by billions and billions of intelligent beings just like us (well, perhaps only insofar as being sentient and sapient - in many other ways, they will be very different!). Why so many stars? Because all of these living things God has made in such abundance need a place to live, I'd say.

leroy

A universe with 1 star requires less fine tunning than a universe with many stars, so perhaps God created many stars just to make fun of atheist

joelr

Do stars have any significant meaning to you? Do you believe there to be lucky stars or power in wishing upon a star? Do you believe there is truth in astrology? Do you believe in any of the star lore? The star of Bethlehem seems to be the most embraced of them all.

Do you think the universe just goes on infinitely and is loaded with stars everywhere, or do you think if you travel enough galaxies and keep going in the same direction, eventually everything turns black? There are more than 2 trillion galaxies. I wonder how many stars that is?

View attachment 36823
220px-The_Sun_by_the_Atmospheric_Imaging_Assembly_of_NASA%27s_Solar_Dynamics_Observatory_-_20100819.jpg

After a star collapses it looks a bit like this:
220px-Crab_Nebula.jpg

A supernova explosion blows away the star's outer layers, leaving a remnant such as the Crab Nebula.

Some stars are 13.8 billion years old. How on earth could we ever test such a hypothesis to know if it is correct?

I'm not sure how exactly people think astrology would work? Position of stars having influence of a person on Earth?

The universe is currently expanding overall at least at light speed so you could never get to an edge. It's expanding a small amount from all locations so if you started traveling in a direction, even at light speed the farthest horizon would be still moving away from you faster because the expansion from local galactic areas adds up and locations that are billions of galaxies away are expanding away from you at incredible speeds. Expansion is a weird concept to grasp because it's also not expanding into anything.
We have methods to judge how far away objects are. Standard candle objects and certain elements are in certain wavelengths and we can judge the temperature and brightness and determine how far away they are.
The further we look we are also seeing back in time. So looking at something 10 billion light years away is also looking at the universe 10 billion years ago. The early universe does look like what we predicted.

I do believe the current science we have on stars. Star lore is stuff from ancient cultures and is basically from the days when lightning was thrown by Zeus and stars were somewhere above the atmosphere in the upper firmament or outer heavens. They were also considered small and often fall to Earth in revelations.

I think astrology was largely Greek: Star Myths | Theoi Greek Mythology

so unless Zeus and the Greek gods are real astrology probably is just fan fiction.

gnostic

The Lost One
A universe with 1 star requires less fine tunning than a universe with many stars, so perhaps God created many stars just to make fun of atheist
Why "atheist"?

It used to be that before the invention of the telescope, everyone have since view the night sky, using their own eyesight, thought the stars in the sky were countless.

It wasn't. They were only able to see ONLY THE CLOSEST STARS in the night sky, all in local area of the Milky Way, and that's only fraction of over 100 billion stars in the Milky Way alone.

In any given location on Earth (eg in Jerusalem), if you were to observe the night sky (without the telescope), you might see at least 2000 stars or maybe even 3000 stars.

Without the telescope, the number of stars that you can see, is countable, and very tiny number.

The nearest star visible to naked eye is Alpha Centauri at 4.37 light year (Promixa Centauri is closer, but it's not visible unless you have a good binocular). The most distant star visible to the naked eye is V762 Cas, located at the Cassiopeia constellation, at over 16,000 light years.

The ancient authors of the bible, wouldn't see any more than 3000+ stars at the most, not the 100s of billions in the Milky Way.

If anyone being made fun of, it would be the ancient Christian and Jewish authors.