• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should one believe that something the TaNaKh predicts would actually literally occur?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why should one believe that something the TaNaKh predicts would actually literally occur?

There is an interesting thread started in the Judaism DIR forum by a respected member. Since everybody cannot participate there, and the topic is also of interest not only to the Judaism but as well as to Christians, Muslims and others (may be for Atheism and Hinduism also), I have given it as a topic here.
Anybody and everybody with their thoughtful inputs, please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
It could occur as Torah is said to be a revealed book, if not all, its parts could be from Yahweh, the name of God in Judaism. And God knows every thing of the past, the present and the future. Please
Regards

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Just fathom that a said entity knows present, past and future. If you know the definite future would that not remove free will from yourself?
On top of this that would mean a deity would know the futures of others and completely obliterate anything that occurs in Genesis concerning the fall of man. Even further more this said deity would be responsible for all such evils and the ills of man due to his design.

I never quite understood the need for the Bible to be looked upon as a text for prophetic revelations. I am not sure if Jews emphasize this as much as Christians due though. I know Jews place strong emphasis on one particular prophecy but I cannot make much of a comment concerning scripture; primarily because I am just too lazy to look it up :D

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Just fathom that a said entity knows present, past and future. If you know the definite future would that not remove free will from yourself?
On top of this that would mean a deity would know the futures of others and completely obliterate anything that occurs in Genesis concerning the fall of man. Even further more this said deity would be responsible for all such evils and the ills of man due to his design.

I never quite understood the need for the Bible to be looked upon as a text for prophetic revelations. I am not sure if Jews emphasize this as much as Christians due though. I know Jews place strong emphasis on one particular prophecy but I cannot make much of a comment concerning scripture; primarily because I am just too lazy to look it up :D
It is just an assumption. Nothing binds Yahweh, Ahura Mazda, Brahman or any other One-God, humans cannot restrict Him. He does everything with wisdom without any infringement of the valid human rights. He rather helps the human beings to find the Truth. Please
Regards

danieldemol

Premium Member
Look at it in retrospect, you had freewill yesterday, and yet you still know exactly what you did.

So it is possible for freewill and certain knowledge to coexist.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Look at it in retrospect, you had freewill yesterday, and yet you still know exactly what you did.

So it is possible for freewill and certain knowledge to coexist.

Not even close to my point. First you would have to argue why I presumably had free will. Then you would have to apply this to future events. If I know what I am going to do in the future then how can I have free will to begin with? I am denying myself the element of choice.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
It is just an assumption. Nothing binds Yahweh, Ahura Mazda, Brahman or any other One-God, humans cannot restrict Him. He does everything with wisdom without any infringement of the valid human rights. He rather helps the human beings to find the Truth. Please
Regards

Hmmm so you are merely arguing a deity who has maximum wisdom and not knowledge. This is VERY different and actually solves the dilemma at hand if it was a matter of knowledge. I guess this is why you wrote in the title "literally occur." You are leaving room for error which would deny the deity at hand the concept of omnipotence and restricting it to vast wisdom.

This sounds more like a classical god then :D. I never thought of it like that in terms of the Abrahamic god, very insightful.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It could occur as Torah is said to be a revealed book, if not all, its parts could be from Yahweh, the name of God in Judaism. And God knows every thing of the past, the present and the future. Please
Regards

I'm still waiting for one of these revealed books to tell me anything useful about something that will happen sometime soon (like tomorrow), until then I fail to believe that they are doing anything but getting lucky.

I could say, "A great leader will rise from the ashes, and a new nation will be born." Certainly, that will happen sometime so I am now a qualified prophet? :D

Apparently, the qualifications for being a prophet are pretty low.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I'm still waiting for one of these revealed books to tell me anything useful about something that will happen sometime soon (like tomorrow), until then I fail to believe that they are doing anything but getting lucky.

I could say, "A great leader will rise from the ashes, and a new nation will be born." Certainly, that will happen sometime so I am now a qualified prophet? :D

Apparently, the qualifications for being a prophet are pretty low.

Hey now, you sound like a false prophet.

Almighty Lawd have told me that, "Ye who hath mocked me shall reepeth thine rewards. For ye shall one day trip over something . . . anything . . . might even stumble a bit."

Now that is a prophecy!

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Hey now, you sound like a false prophet.

Almighty Lawd have told me that, "Ye who hath mocked me shall reepeth thine rewards. For ye shall one day trip over something . . . anything . . . might even stumble a bit."

Now that is a prophecy!

I predict a man wearing black will smite thee with a jar of pickled herring.

In fairness, what qualifications do you seek in your prophets other than:

1) Dead
2) Wrote in a book over 2,000 years old

?

Jedster

There is an interesting thread started in the Judaism DIR forum by a respected member. Since everybody cannot participate there, and the topic is also of interest not only to the Judaism but as well as to Christians, Muslims and others (may be for Atheism and Hinduism also), I have given it as a topic here.

Regards

If you did some real meditation, you wouldn't have so many questions. I suggest you search for the raj vidya that Kirishna talks about in the Bagavad Gita(chapter 4).

Regards
You obviously don't do any real meditation, otherwise you wouldn't have so many questions.
Look at your own thread asking about meditation. Did you learn & apply anything from that thread.
Read chapter 4 of the Bagavad Gita, then pray to Krishna to reveal to you the supreme yoga(Raj Vidya) or find a Guru or find it yourself.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
If you did some real meditation, you wouldn't have so many questions. I suggest you search for the raj vidya that Kirishna talks about in the Bagavad Gita(chapter 4).

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but what does any of this crap mean anyway? Please consult the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for more information? English man, english... :D

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I predict a man wearing black will smite thee with a jar of pickled herring.

In fairness, what qualifications do you seek in your prophets other than:

1) Dead
2) Wrote in a book over 2,000 years old

?

Well according to great prophets like Darwin, Hitchens and Dawkins there are no prophets and books over 30 years old must be updated. But that raises the question of how are they prophets :confused:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Well according to great prophets like Darwin, Hitchens and Dawkins there are no prophets and books over 30 years old must be updated. But that raises the question of how are they prophets :confused:

All hail Chucky Darwin, Lord and Savior, PBUH.

I just think in simple terms, like how exclusive is wisdom? That's to say does only one book or source have a monopoly? (Seems unlikely) Why is the 2000+ year old wisdom better than recent wisdom when statistically we have people that are as least as smart, or likely even smarter now? I guess I could agree with your idea that "holy" books should be constantly revised to meet the needs of the current times.

Jedster

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but what does any of this crap mean anyway? Please consult the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for more information? English man, english... :D

I was serious for him. He asks all these questions around all religions, gets answers and does nothing with it.

He is nowhere near ready for Hichhikers guide to the galaxy.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I was serious for him. He asks all these questions around all religions, gets answers and does nothing with it.

He is nowhere near ready for Hichhikers guide to the galaxy.

So I guess your post then was sort of that in that no matter what is said, he will not research it anyway? :D