1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why should I hide my beliefs?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by RayofLight, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Fool

Fool ALL in all
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,287
    Religion:
    Light Impressed with Love

some people don't like it when you question authority

• Like Like x 1
  2. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    Dark Pagan Witch looking into Left Handed paths
    I understand. I just wish they'd try at least to understand my beliefs or at the very least admit they dont want to understand and drop the topic rather then try to force me to not practice my beliefs. I would never do that to them so why do it to me? I agree people should never mistreat someone on the basis of religion.

Edit: can you explain their problem with me worshipping pagan gods and why they feel the need to try to stop me when I would never stop them from worshipping their's

• Like Like x 1
  3. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist My baby niece

Ratings:
    +10,924
    Religion:
    Process of Spiritual Healing

Do you have shelves in your room that maybe has pictures or a table with a television? You can have a portable altar (or even in the restroom) and when you're done praying, just pack it up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    Oh I'll just not say who its for. The people at the group home already know I am a pagan.

5. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    True that

6. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Caritas Christi Urget Nos
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,226
    Religion:
    Christian
    A lot of Christians view pagan deities as demons who are lying to people. I personally have more nuanced views about it, myself, but many don't.

Let's be honest, it really sucks to be a religious minority anywhere. I am a religious minority, myself. I live in Ohio and was Catholic. I spent much time arguing with and being insulted by Protestants over my beliefs over the years. Now I am drawing closer to Orthodox Christianity and that will make me even more of a misunderstood minority than being Catholic. Most people don't even seem aware of the existence of Orthodoxy, as basically everything but Protestant and Catholic is ignored. People are very sheltered.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    May I outta curiousity ask what your views are? Feel free not to answer. I feel it might be complicated due to you using the word nuanced.

8. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Caritas Christi Urget Nos
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,226
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, as a monotheist, I do not believe they are deities as I believe there is only one God. However, some of them can be angels that people started worshipping, some can be what could be called nature spirits, some are ancestors and other deceased people, etc. Some deities people worship are demons, I feel, depending on what they're influencing you to do. Hell, there's people who do actually worship demons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    Thank you for your answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SigurdReginson

SigurdReginson Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Religion:
    None
    Hmmm... As an atheist in a predominantly christian nation, I've definitely experienced pushback on my beliefs and have had to adjust what I can and can't do and say according to that pushback.

Most christians in the US can look at someone who is an atheist and just find disagreement or someone who has been mislead by satan. At worst, they might think that an atheist is a selfish or spiteful person who wants to tear down christianity, but they don't usually think there's anything demonic about atheists (usually).

With pagan practices it's even worse - especially with satanism. With paganism, many christians here think that their practices are demonic, and they conflate paganism in all of it's forms with witchcraft... And the bible says many things in relation with witches. As for satanism, they usually just think that someone is in league with the devil at that point.

How much power do these people have over your life and what you can and can't do there? As long as they have some kind of power, it might be wise to hold back on some of your practices (or to be more private with your practices) until you are able to more freely do as you please without as much pushback.

Now, I just want to reiterate that not all christians in the US believe as I mentioned above. The majority definitely do, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,040
    Religion:
    ?
    In my opinion, it goes something like this: "Do as you will, but be prepared for any and all backlash."

So, in the case of religion - sure, you can be open and honest about everything you believe, etc. But if someone is keen on challenging you, then you need to be ready to defend yourself, display your rationalizations for doing as you do, or believing as you believe - especially if you are the one who brought it to their front door.

And in the case that you aren't ready to defend yourself, or you don't have those rationalizations and good reasons shored up for that defense, then the best thing you can probably do if you are worried about reprisals is keep it to yourself.

It isn't about telling you "you can't do this" - it is about making sure you are prepared for the pushback you most certainly will encounter if it is probable that your activities or beliefs will be judged by some as unjustified.

#31 A Vestigial Mote, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    This is great advice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,147
    Religion:
    None
    Just a little numbers game for @PureX to consider

download (5).jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    Lets talk context, ok? If you ask to come to my house and put up an altar to Lucifer in my living room, the answer will be a big round NO. However, if you want to put that altar in your house, that's your personal space and you can do as you please.
    Heads up, if you have Christian friends don't expect them to be open to the idea of worshiping the enemy of God. You'll probably need to find more likeminded people to be friends with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +23,352
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Two points. The question was about an altar in a private living area. Personal space as you put it. Second, the Lucifer of Luciferians is not the Lucifer of the Bible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Religion:
    Jehovah's Witness
    I wouldn't live with someone whose beliefs are opposed to mine.
    Would I stop someone from practicing their beliefs in my presence? Depends on the beliefs and where we are. In my house, my rules. In other places I stay away from other people's business. The advantage of being on neutral ground is that if I see something I don't like I can simply leave.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. RayofLight

RayofLight They/Them

Ratings:
    +2,086
    Religion:
    That seems very reasonable to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,655
    Religion:
    It exists
    When two people that accept/believe different things but legally do what they want in the presence of each other, in my opinion they either need to compromise or seperate. If not nothing good will come out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,147
    Religion:
    None

Except possibly understanding and compassion for the others point of view

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,655
    Religion:
    It exists
    I don't know about hiding it but maybe be aware of how it will effect others to avoid unwanted negativity. To me its about respect of others. I myself won't do things that I know will upset others around me and I expect the same out of them. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1