• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should diversity of religion exist?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, that fits Fundy Christians.

Yes, but do you go to a Fundy Christian Church? They will be teaching you "the truth" That you are deceived and the Jesus is the only way. That's why earlier I said that those types of beliefs are the problem. And the Orthodox or Conservative sides of religions are not going to want to mingle with people they believe are following a false religion. And, if you go to their service, they will be teaching you how they are right and your wrong.

What you're saying is that the oneness of humanity is more important than religious doctrines that separate us. Sure, then get rid of those doctrines.
No, I do not go to the church or any other house of worship for that matter, Falun Gong is not a religion it is a cultivation practice. Falun Gong is free to follow and our master does not say to those who do not follow that they are doomed, he just doesn't see them as his students if they don't follow.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course they don't. All I have to do is turn to the Fundy Christians again. They can't believe what they used to believe and be a Baha'i. And some ancient religions had human and animal sacrifices and temple prostitutes. Like the religion of the Aztecs, I don't believe you'd think it is okay for them to still believe it was alright to cut peoples hearts out as a sacrifice to their God? Some religious beliefs were wrong and should have been done away with. And, like I said earlier, even Baha'is say to get rid of superstitious beliefs.

CG, it is up to you to look in the positive or continue with finding all you can that you and I say again, you see is negative.

It is all up to you and I wish you well.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@ loverofhumanity

Why should diversity of religion exist?

It is not about whether it should exist; it exists, and it will exist as long as people (a) have free will, and (b) choose to stay with the religion of their choice, usually the one they were raised with.

So given these circumstances, we have to learn to get along as best we can for the time being.

I cannot believe diversity of religion is an ideal situation given what Baha’u’llah wrote, and I do not believe it will last forever, because what God ordains eventually comes to pass:
“That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith.” The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 91

People cannot even imagine how there could ever be one common Faith, but this is off in the distant future and people will be very different. Obviously we won’t live to see it.

I do not believe that the one common Faith will necessarily be the Baha’i Faith, because by the time this happens another Messenger of God might have come and established another religion called by another name.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
CG, it is up to you to look in the positive or continue with finding all you can that you and I say again, you see is negative.

It is all up to you and I wish you well.

Regards Tony
Okay, tell me the positives of the ancient religions that had animal and human sacrifices? Then tell me the positives of Fundamentalist Christianity. I'm sure you can, but then what are you going to do with the negatives? They believe your religion is false. And you don't believe that Jesus rose physically from the dead or is God. So just ignore your differences? I've known many a Baha'i that can't ignore those differences with Fundy Christians. But if you can maybe you can show them the way.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi CG,

Okay, tell me the positives of the ancient religions that had animal and human sacrifices?

Which ancient religion did you have in mind? I haven't come across any adherents of ancient religions promoting human sacrifice recently. Have you?

Then tell me the positives of Fundamentalist Christianity.

Many fundamentalist Christians are good, honest hard working folk.

I'm sure you can, but then what are you going to do with the negatives? They believe your religion is false. And you don't believe that Jesus rose physically from the dead or is God. So just ignore your differences? I've known many a Baha'i that can't ignore those differences with Fundy Christians. But if you can maybe you can show them the way.

You just need to love people. Many fundamentalist Christians are unable or unwilling to have a meaningful interfaith dialogue. Some are so we should be careful to avoid making assumptions and being prejudiced ourselves.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So how are Orthodox Jews taught to treat people of other religions?
Treat them well. Here's a quote from today's daily Talmud page ("Daf Yomi"):
"One must always [take steps to] increase peace with one’s brethren and with one’s relatives, and with all people, even with a non-Jew in the marketplace...they said about Rabban Yoḥanan ben Zakkai that no one ever preceded him in issuing a greeting, not even a non-Jew in the marketplace, as Rabban Yoḥanan would always greet him first..."

Being nice to someone has nothing to do with what I think about their religion.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I believe if each religion extends true friendship to the other religions the time will come when diversity of religion will cease and we will be as one family.
So is the goal friendship, love and unity with all people? If it is why support any religious doctrine that doesn't promote that? Ultimately, it would include your religion too. Will Baha'is put unity ahead of the other Baha'i beliefs? It's like Adrian's wolf and lamb thread. Can people of different religions sit together and not try to show how the other person is wrong? From what I've heard on some of the other threads is that Hinduism is the closest to doing that. But even they have their limits. And that is when the people in the other religion tries to push their beliefs as being better or the only ones.

So I know you want unity but can it go beyond just talk and reach a level to where each person, no matter what their beliefs, is accepted and respected? I find that hard to believe, because some beliefs that people have are just too out there to be accepted. Even the Catholics have beliefs that go against what the Baha'i Faith teaches. You know the usual... the resurrection and Jesus being God. So if those beliefs are wrong, shouldn't they be done away with? And if you know they are wrong, because Baha'u'llah, the latest messenger, and the return of Christ, said so, shouldn't you, at some point, tell them?

Then there is the other side... Baha'i beliefs go contrary to Catholic beliefs. So at some point are they going to tell you that you need to confess your sins? And they're only saying that because they care about you and don't want you to go to hell when you die. So what you gonna do? Put religion on the back burner and don't bring it up? I think a lot of people do that. But can people that truly follow and believe their religion do that? Because part of many religions includes telling others the "truth". And Catholic truth and Baha'i truth isn't the same. So how deep can your friendship go before your religion does get in the way?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, tell me the positives of the ancient religions that had animal and human sacrifices? Then tell me the positives of Fundamentalist Christianity. I'm sure you can, but then what are you going to do with the negatives? They believe your religion is false. And you don't believe that Jesus rose physically from the dead or is God. So just ignore your differences? I've known many a Baha'i that can't ignore those differences with Fundy Christians. But if you can maybe you can show them the way.

Adrian has replied and I would Confirm that animal sacrafice is ancient, I am sure it will be a thing of the past. In fact I see man in the future will not even want to hurt an animal, let alone kill one. I see there will be a time when meat is not eaten.

Fundamental Christianity has brought a Faith through many a hard times, through wars and bloodshed, it is now time for the fruit to be gathered in a lasting peace.

I personally do not to need to focus on any negatives, I go to a church on Sunday that has fundamental Christians praying with a Baha'i couple, it is the same God and I see no need to change any of that, unless it becomes their choice.

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Baha'is say that religions need to get rid of their superstitious beliefs.

They define God perfectly. And their laws and moral codes are perfect, because they came from God. But wait, wouldn't that mean that the beliefs of all the other religions are wrong? Yes, Tony... that is kind of what the Baha'i Faith teaches. So all other religions need to get rid of their beliefs that no longer work and follow God's new message.
This is far from what Bahais say. Belief in God, and that too one God (including the belief in soul, judgment, heaven, hell, deliverance, angels, djinns, ghosts, etc.), which Abraham worshiped; and the prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / mahdis sent by tht God is the most superstitious belief. And Bahais want you to have that belief.

How, for the heck of it, am I concerned about what God Abraham worshiped? I am in India and I am a Hindu, and a strong atheist too.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Absolutely. Even if something is true you won't be able to understand it unless you question it. Until you do its not really yours.
I can go along with that, but why would fewer people question it if there was only one religion, because it would be more obviously the truth?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I have found no religion that actually Understands God. On the other hand, I think bits of the puzzle are in all of them.

Religion is a catalyst that brings out so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with.

God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have.

Diversity is very very important to have on the path to the real truth.

Many many lessons will be learned in the interaction with those unlike ourselves.

People can choose to place EGO above all else, The need to rule and control others along with having to be Right whether one is or not can cause many problems that have to be worked out.

Given enough learning and lives, there will end up being only one Truth. It was staring everyone in the face all along. Until then, we must continue on our journey to perfection, our journey to Understanding.

It seem universal that everyone hates Drama, yet more learning is acquired around Drama than at almost any other time.

Well, that's what I see. It's very clear.

I agree that God is unknowable and that we can learn so much from each other as I don’t believe any of us holds the complete truth.

i really like this quote from Rumi which says it all.....the different religions are the pieces

The truth was a mirror in the hands of God. It fell, and broke into pieces. Everybody took a piece of it, and they looked at it and thought they had the truth.”

― Mawlana Jalal-al-Din Rumi

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Yes, that fits Fundy Christians.

Yes, but do you go to a Fundy Christian Church? They will be teaching you "the truth" That you are deceived and that Jesus is the only way. That's why earlier I said that those types of beliefs are the problem. And the Orthodox or Conservative sides of religions are not going to want to mingle with people they believe are following a false religion. And, if you go to their service, they will be teaching you how they are right and your wrong.

What you're saying is that the oneness of humanity is more important than religious doctrines that separate us. Sure, then get rid of those doctrines.

I don’t think that we can stereo type any group because I have been to church many times and only receive love and kindness. They know we are a different religion and so have never preached to us.

we had dinner with the Bishop last night and have good friendships so what you are speaking about is not happening here.

Maybe the more fanatical believers get over enthusiastic which can make them proselytise but I’m not coming across them here.

Reactions: Jim

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I go to a Unitarian Universalist church. We come together because of our differences rather than differences because of our similarities. The only thing we have in common is service, familial relations, support groups, spiritual groups, and the like. We have groups that talk about different religions in a more educational sense. We sometimes hear a verse or two from the Quran or a help book or another inspirational book the minister happens to have in our groups. We have political views, outreach, and service to the community, hot kitchen, smiles, and literally welcoming hugs to strangers. That's how I stayed there because of this.

We went to a Interfaith fellowship at a Buddhist temple I got my precepts almost ten years ago. Unfortunately, the abbot was so busy and language barriers that it was hard to develop a relationship with her. If I spoke the same language, I'd probably have a teacher today.

The reason we don't fight isn't because of our similarities. It's literally because of our differences. Our church was founded on christianity and it broke away from christianity (protestant) because of the teachings of hell. Later down the years Unitarians became more open to other religions and at the same time saying "you are here and I am there. We don't cross lines just learn from each other."

Religious get upset when people overstep their boundaries. So, being together in worship in an interfaith group is very sensitive. Yes. We have a sense of "some" of us look for a higher purpose and "some" of us look for interconnection and "some" of us look for something else entirely, but as a whole no one wears each other's robes. No one takes each other's religious names. No one prays at each other's sacred space. No one use each other's beads.

When you start doing these things, it becomes disrespect ad THAT is where the issues happen.

I bet most people would agree with you Loving. We are all human. Each person has their different definitions of respect; and, when that is not understood religious will smile, shake your hand, and everything but here even though they smile, they will still have some grievance.

Not because of differences but because of our history and ways the majority treat us. So, we are heavily heavily into respect for each other's territory. It's honestly not a fight against each other (outside of christianity, muslim, etc) it's really respecting where you are and where they are.

Long story short, though, it has more to do with respect and history rather than people "not wanting" to be one or unity.

In the US, unity via our history and religion means:

1. Generalization (lack of a better word): making everyone white/majority/hearing/straight/so have you.

2. Colonization: Under the label of "missionary trips" to make everyone christian. Unity in christ.

3. Slavery: submission to our personal values (example a pagan) for the sake of the whole (christian)

Unity is a horrible word to use, really. The context is "we are all different but the same core."

Life just is not like that. Once we get out of that "same core" mentality, then YES, you would be right. We all want harmony etc. But as long as there is a "Same core"....

There is always an invisible separation.

I'm not sure if the religious you talk to would say you're Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, or so have you. That's the difference. If they don't call you these things, there is an invisible line that "same core" just does not eliviate.

But that's why we have wars. It's not because of our differences.

It's because we want to make everyone "like us".

It's fine you like Black and I like White but if our common bond is grey, that's belittling two distinct colors. Don't make it grey. Keep it black and white.

-
Anyway. That's what I have to say. I get what you're saying. The "common thread" is what's throwing it off.

Wars happen because we want people to think like us. It isn't a christian thing. I'd say it's abrahamic. Bahai. Christian. Muslim. JW. and others alike.

Im not sure your question would be answered because of it.

Yes I agree that unity in uniformity is not the way but as you say unity in diversity is the way to go because we accept each other that we are different and learn from it.

Reactions: Jim

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think diversity is a good thing. If there were only one religion fewer people would question it.
Self-contradictory statement. You mean like Abrahamic religions? To question is blasphemy!
Do you think it is good to question it?
It is absolutely essential to question about things. Had we not questioned, we would have been still roaming in the jungles hunting rabbits and looking for roots and berries.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes I agree totally. People unfortunately have misused religion as a pretext for wars and conflict but in this age I think humanity is mature enough for the followers of different religions to develop good friendships based on their common humanity.
Most people do not want to be leaders. And the few people who do want to be leaders are exactly the people who should not be given that responsibility. Unfortunately, humanity has not solved this problem, yet, and so the wrong people continue to become our leaders, and continue to lead us into strife and contention that we would not otherwise be inclined to engage in. And this remains the case in every category of human endeavor, including religiosity.