• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should diversity of religion exist?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
As opposed to, say, male and female? Rich and poor? National identity? Ethnic identity?
There have been far more wars fought for wealth, power, land, resources, and self-identity than for religious dominance. Why aren't you seeing any of this?
It's not "like this". You just aren't seeing what it's really "like".
Religions don't "strive for" anything. They are a collection of ideals, practices, rituals, and rules being offered to people who share a similar theological belief, to help them live according to those theological beliefs.
It's not "like this". You just aren't seeing what it's really "like".
Because they don't all share the same theological beliefs, even though they may share some of the same religious ideals, rituals, practices, and rules.
I think that religious (or any ideological) self-righteousness is often difficult to maintain when engaged at a personal level.

Personally I’m finding that visiting other places of worship is leading to strong friendships which is breaking down age old barriers.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
IMO those things are universal humans afflictions, so eliminating
religious diversity won't fix that problem. And again, enforcing
uniformity of belief would be a cure worse than the problem.

Is accepting our common humanity uniformity? I don’t think so. Whether a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Buddhist - mingling with each accepting them as fellow equal humans where’s the uniformity in that?

So if a Jew and Christian become good friends that doesn’t mean each has to give up his religion. But using diversity of belief as a reason to keep aloof from our fellow human (which many do) being I firmly reject and believe to be prejudice and very wrong.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I see your point there. But Christians basically believe in the God of Abraham too. When I enter a church I pray to God and do not worship the images.
'Course. Which is why I pointed it out as a Jewish view. Christians don't view what they do as idolatry, Jews do - or at least semi-do (see: Sheetuf). Just such disagreements are already a major roadblock to the sort of unity that you're looking for.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
'Course. Which is why I pointed it out as a Jewish view. Christians don't view what they do as idolatry, Jews do - or at least semi-do (see: Sheetuf). Just such disagreements are already a major roadblock to the sort of unity that you're looking for.

If we look at our common humanity before all else I believe we can get along just fine.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I believe a lot of prejudice exist between religions and elsewhere because we don’t focus enough on our common humanity. We can have our different beliefs and live in peace I believe if we look towards our common humanity.

Reactions: Jim

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
If we look at our common humanity before all else I believe we can get along just fine.
Certainly. But I was replying to your specific suggestion of going around to learn about different religions and different people from their centers of worship. In Judaism, perhaps in other religions as well, it simply cannot be (except mosques...).

The average Jew, I think, doesn't view non-Jews as lesser humans. We have our mission in life and you have yours. That's not to say that all worldviews are legit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Im discussing relationships between religions.
On that: why would anyone interested in unity found a whole new religion?

Anyone who wanted to be unified with the religion of their society would just become part of that religion. Splintering off a separate group - i.e. founding a religion - is an act of division.

As for how to build unity between religions, I think the best way is to de-emphasize the importance of religion.

When religion is seen as a hobby - i.e. where the differences between what two people do just come down to personal taste, not merit of ideas - it's easier to respect and appreciate other points of view.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Although religion is meant to create love and unity it represents probably the largest group of ‘us and thems’ on the planet.
Religion was never meant to create love and unity. It was created to satisfy the ego of their founders and their generations. Religious leaders of many sects and religions were/are filthy rich and powerful.
But I still believe that the followers of each religion keep aloof from one another and it can foster unhealthy attitudes.
There should be some distance otherwise they will fight with each other.
Christianity certainly is about love, that is the very heart of it, yet because we are committed to God through Jesus Christ, we will not compromise that in the name of unity.

There is only one God, revealed through Christ, and the only way to be right with Him is through Christ.
Well, for Loverofhumanity Jesus is not a God. She also believes that the newest right way is through Bahaullah who has made Jesus redundant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

Heyo

Veteran Member
Although religion is meant to create love and unity it represents probably the largest group of ‘us and thems’ on the planet.

Some religions instead compete with one another for the number 1 spot and some leaders teach their followers that any other religion but theirs is satanic thus creating prejudices and hate between religions. There have even been wars so deep has the prejudice and hatred become.

But does it have to be like this?

Outwardly the different religions have different customs and traditions but inwardly they all strive for a higher purpose.

What would be the harm if we prayed and meditated and visited each other’s places of worship? In my travels I’ve visited Hindu Temples, Christian Churches, Muslim Mosques, Jewish Synagogues and Buddhist Pagodas and I found they all believe in truth and goodness.

So why don’t the religionists visit and worship together and establish friendship and fellowship because they all teach love and unity?

My wife and I who are of a different Faith have been visiting our local Catholic Church and we have made so many friends. They are so welcoming and loving. I believe if each religion extends true friendship to the other religions the time will come when diversity of religion will cease and we will be as one family.

What do you think?
I think the problem will be solved when people stop being religious (or at least stop taking their beliefs too serious). Once you realize that beliefs aren't knowledge, it's harder to derive privileges from hem or dismiss other beliefs. In the industrialized world we already see such a trend and churches are closing. I don't expect religion to go away anytime soon but te trend is there.